Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I decided to drive with my HID lights on all the time as a safety feature, will it result in a MPG decrease, and if so, how much. Has anyone tried it both ways to see how much difference there was? I guess it depends on how much electricity the lights require?

Anybody know?

Daisy

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
It shouldn't since it only uses 35kW whereas the halogens use 50kW

·
Registered
81 Posts
Tideland Prius said:
It shouldn't since it only uses 35kW whereas the halogens use 50kW
Please, remove the K! If halogens DID consume 50KW the whole powertrain would be there just to light up! :lol:

Anyway halogen ights are 55w per bulb while HID 35w per bulb.

·
Registered
81 Posts
hyperion said:
Leave it to the Europeans to know their "Kilos"
Naturally, we invented it! :p

When you get your Prius Tramp, "don't touch the orange cable"
You can bet your life I wont....
500 Volts, God knows how many Ampéres...

But are they "in sight" or hidden away?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all for your input. I guess, there is one question that is not really asked yet, and that is what is the total drain on the system when the lights are turned on all the time to use as DRL's. That includes the front HID lights and the rear lights as well. If each front HID lamp is 35W, then that is 70W for front, now how much for rear lamps?

Anybody know the total drain? Also, has anybody tried this both ways to compare the difference in MPG if any?

Daisy

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
haha....oops :oops:

Thanks Tramp

·
Registered
81 Posts
Daisy said:
Thank you all for your input. I guess, there is one question that is not really asked yet, and that is what is the total drain on the system when the lights are turned on all the time to use as DRL's. That includes the front HID lights and the rear lights as well. If each front HID lamp is 35W, then that is 70W for front, now how much for rear lamps?
In Europe, rear lights are 5w per bulb.
Suppose you have two (My prius is still under construction) that will make 80w per hour of use.

Knowing that a gallon of gas gives you a net energy of about 10KW (that is 10.000 w, Right, Tideland?) and with that gallon you do 50 miles @ 50 mph, if you remove 80w for DRL that means that you are left with 9920 w and therefore travel "only" 49.6 miles. DRL will cost you 0.4 miles per hour.

Did I go wrong womewhere?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Plus another 5W for each front postion lamp and 5W for each rear number-plate lamp. So 100W total. Still pretty insignificant, but I'd be wary about the lifespan of the bulbs - that'd add to the cost.

Personally if I saw cars running around the place with their annoying HID lamps on all day unnecessarily, I'd start getting pretty narked. It's bad enough all the Volvos with their real DRLs, let alone standard dipped-beam.

It's like the 4x4/SUV "I'm all right Jack" attitude to safety. You make sure you're seen, but never mind whether you're distracting other drivers from cars and pedestrians without lights on.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Here in the PNW I generally leave my light on from November to April just because I drive to work in the dark and drive home in the dark. The only time I drive in the light is on the weekend so I just leave it on. I wish we had a photocell that would turn the light on and off automatically. I had that feature on my previous car had and miss.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Daisy said:
If I decided to drive with my HID lights on all the time as a safety feature, will it result in a MPG decrease, and if so, how much. Has anyone tried it both ways to see how much difference there was? I guess it depends on how much electricity the lights require?

Anybody know?

Daisy
The lights add an extra 0.6A average. Considering that the electic motor in average consumes ~25A ( 0~200A ), the lights are seriously negligible.

Attila

PS: my response is based on :
http://www.vassfamily.net/ToyotaPrius/C ... ex.html#OC

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Here in Canada, DRLs are mandatory and frankly I don't find that annoying. Heck, I find it weird when I see an older car without DRL and amidst all those with the lights, I spot the older car a little later than usual. And if you think people are stupid cause DRLs don't turn on the taillights, when it was raining lightly this past week, most of the cars had their headlights on anyway.

Actually, come to think of it, I don't think DRLs might be the problem to people forgetting to turn on the lights at night (since you'd figured you'll know when the lights look dim) but it's because of the electroluminescent gauges that are being incorporated into more and more vehicles. Those that come with that and are missing the auto-headlight feature (e.g. Corolla, Civic, Acura EL, Mazda3) have a higher rate of forgetfulness on the driver's part. These gauges are lit brightly all the time and if it's dimmed down during the day, it'll be at a tolerable intensity at night and hence people might think their headlights are on since the instrument panel lights are on.

·
Registered
13 Posts
By the way, there is anew law in California. If you need your windshield wipers, you have to have your headlights on. Oh yeah, all GM cars manufactured since 1996 have DRLs.

·
Registered
3 Posts
By the way, there is anew law in California. If you need your windshield wipers, you have to have your headlights on. Oh yeah, all GM cars manufactured since 1996 have DRLs.
that 'new law in California' was made law in Tennessee back in the 70's (maybe the 60's) I thought west coast was more advanced in vehicular safety!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts