Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to place an order for a new Prius. For those 50+ like me, are the HID Xenon lamps helpful for night driving? I know HID lamps look different from the outside but are they more helpful than halogens for "mature" drivers?

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
My night vision has always been bad, and I LOVE the HIDs. The regular halogens have a good Euro-style pattern (razor cutoff, more light up and to the right), and are good for most people.

·
Registered
114 Posts
flare said:
yes they are. as long as you aren't in bad weather... that's why the HID's come with halogen foglights.
I'm in agreement with others who've complained about not being able to turn off the HIDs when the fog lights are on. If you're in heavy fog, the fog lights are next to useless since so much light from the headlights reflects back off the fog. This doesn't seem to be a problem on non-HID equipped cars.

I can't turn off the low-beams on my Jeep when I turn on the fog lights, but at least there turnning on the fog lights makes an obvious improvment. Might as well turn the Prius fog lights into driving lights, since they don't improve visibility in the fog.

·
Registered
154 Posts
mkaliski said:
I am about to place an order for a new Prius. For those 50+ like me, are the HID Xenon lamps helpful for night driving? I know HID lamps look different from the outside but are they more helpful than halogens for "mature" drivers?

Thanks for the help.
When I bough my Prius, I wanted Xenon lights too. The Toyota dealer said that Toyota does not have the Xenon option for the Prius. I could do this afterwards but it is not allowed in Finland to have postinstllation of Xenon lights.

·
Registered
14 Posts
mkaliski said:

Thanks for the help.
The HID's are awesome. My TSX has them and they make a huge difference. I highly recommend them.

PS: I only got flashed 3-4 times in almost 2 yrs.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
slo007 said:

How sad for you! It can be good for the ego to get flashed now and then. Well, of course it depends on the quality of the flasher... :wink:

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
"PS: I only got flashed 3-4 times in almost 2 yrs."

Amazing... on Flash Friday, the bright HIDs should be EASY to see. You should be flashed regularly. Or maybe you're not in Tom Leykis' demographic.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
But the TSX's cutoff is really abrupt

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Sanny said:
slo007 said:

How sad for you! It can be good for the ego to get flashed now and then. Well, of course it depends on the quality of the flasher... :wink:
Sanny, Are you referring to the "burburry Coat wearing "Flasher" ?
If anyone driving HSD can't be Flushed 'cause they never drive in the _passing lane_ 55mph at 59mpg, 60mph at 57mpg,65mph at 54.9mpg !

·
Registered
6 Posts
I love the brighter lights. The colors are more natural too. I agree though that the fog lights do not help at all in the fog.

I have probably been flashed 3 times in the last 2 months. Usually if I am comming over a hill.

·
Registered
112 Posts
They get stolen fairly often, however. A FOAF recently
had her front end totally trashed because some yutz wanted the
lamps and/or the power supplies.
_
_H*

1 - 12 of 12 Posts