Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The evening news just announced that they will no longer make the H1 Hummer for consumers. At 10 mpg, they said "It just doesn't have a place in everyday life, anymore."

Get Down!!! :D

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Dang. I was hoping to eventually buy one and convert it to greasel!

·
Premium Member
640 Posts
ehurtley said:
That would be a REAL novelty. Imagine, a Hummer running on French fry grease..a Hummer NOT running on fossil fuels (and of course there'd be a big sign on it to that effect). There's only one problem: it would burn so much grease it would hog it from about 20 other greaselers! :lol:

·
Premium Member
2,820 Posts
Not that GM/AM General sold much more than about 900 of the Hummer H1, at ~$100,000 each... The H2 is just a Chevy Suburban with a Hummer-looking body design and the name.

Last I had heard, the military was testing a hybrid version of the HMMWV (older military brother of the Hummer) Reduced fuel use (so less fuel support required), EV 'stealth' mode (reduced heat signature), submersible use, and ability to be portable generator, all in one. :)

·
Registered
4,878 Posts
Sounds like somthing the military would spend a couple million of our tax dollars on. Seems like they have forgotten they are suppose to win a war!
And MRV, I am so used to reading the true facts from your posts that I was surprised to see the remark that the H2 is just a Chevy Suburban that looks like an H1.
About the only similarity between the two vehicles are a slight relationship through Chevy in name. You can "E" mail GM and they will send you a 40 page brochure that "will knock your socks off!" with state of the art engineering facts.
All other "off road" vehicles in the world do not hold a candle to an H2.
They are expensive to build and expensive to own and a natural growth of the SUV movement in a car loving country, and probably have the same small number of devoted fans that swear by them as the Prius.
My statement meaning that about ten percent of Prius owners are fanatics, (nothing wrong with that) and the other ninety per-cent have purchased fuel efficient cars, and mainly for that principal reason.

·
Registered
584 Posts
hyperion said:
Sounds like somthing the military would spend a couple million of our tax dollars on. Seems like they have forgotten they are suppose to win a war!
So, the military is really in a damned if they do and damned if they do situation.... :?

People whine when we burn fossil fuel for the vehicle and then whine when we spend money to develop and produce more efficient vehicles.

'Course, all would be rosey in this forum if that vehicle were Toyota HSD based though, wouldn't it :wink:

·
Registered
4,878 Posts
You sure misread my post. I would think that any government monies spent for fuel savings and pollution controls would be spent in the American car industry and finance the military for a quick war if you want to fight one. Making a military Hummer more fuel efficient is about as smart as the attempt to get a tank to burn less than two gallons per mile.
GM makes the Hummer for the military. Give those millions to GM. You know it does not take many million until it finally adds up!

·
Registered
62 Posts
dznyskp said:
The evening news just announced that they will no longer make the H1 Hummer for consumers. At 10 mpg, they said "It just doesn't have a place in everyday life, anymore."
Keep in mind that the H1 is neither practical (unless you are in the Army) or comfortable. The commercial market for the H1 was always tiny.

The H1 at about $100k is a frivolous thing for fabulously weathly people.

Outside of pure symbolism, it's existance or not-existance is irrelevant.

Dropping the H2 (at $50k) would be much, much more significant!

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
wayneswhirld said:
ehurtley said:
That would be a REAL novelty. Imagine, a Hummer running on French fry grease..a Hummer NOT running on fossil fuels (and of course there'd be a big sign on it to that effect). There's only one problem: it would burn so much grease it would hog it from about 20 other greaselers! :lol:
It's not that much of a novelty. Golden Fuel Systems (one of the main Greasel conversion companies out there,) lists the Hummer H1 as one of the vehicles they have converted already. When their website was greasel.com, they listed it, but their new website seems to be lacking. And, ironically, the top two Google hits for 'Greasel Hummer H1' are two posts by me! (Including my one above, I bet in a couple months, this post will be number 3...)

·
Registered
231 Posts
i saw a propane conversion in some kind of hummer with a "solo in the carpool lane" bumper sticker.

That was pretty neat.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yea!!! Maybe now I can actually make a left turn!!! Usually when I try to do so, a ginormous SUV pulls up on my right and I can't see oncoming traffic. :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts