Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently, I had a situation where I was driving up a small hill at about 25mph. The car kind of hesitated or jerked, similar to the hesitation you'd feel when an automatic transmission slips when shifting. This occurred twice. I took it to the dealer and they said it checked out fine.

Now it has started doing it when I travelling about 55mph. I've noticed that when I feel it do this my instantaneous mileage jumps to 100mpg. Telling me the car has shifted to all electric. It runs that way for a few minutes then drops back to the normal mpg.

Has anybody experienced this?

Have any ideas what it is?

My car is a 2001 Prius with almost 45,000 miles.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Throttle Replaced

I own a 2001 & had a weird occurrence while driving on the freeway where I lost power & dropped about 15mph. The red triangle appeared along with exclamation point. I brought the car into Toyota & they diagnosed a throttle malfunction which had to be replaced. It costs approximately $400. I had previously purchased the extended warranty on the vehicle and payed the $50 deductible. The problem is no longer present. By the way, my car has 65,000 miles on it so you may consider looking into this area you have not already.

·
Premium Member
2,820 Posts
Re: Throttle Replaced

szrice said:
I own a 2001 & had a weird occurrence while driving on the freeway where I lost power & dropped about 15mph. The red triangle appeared along with exclamation point. I brought the car into Toyota & they diagnosed a throttle malfunction which had to be replaced. It costs approximately $400. I had previously purchased the extended warranty on the vehicle and payed the $50 deductible. The problem is no longer present. By the way, my car has 65,000 miles on it so you may consider looking into this area you have not already.
If you get the warning icons, chances are
that this occurance of the power loss
is covered by a TSB EG018-02. (may want to look into that - get your $50 back). http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/toy ... message/19

Some occurances do not have any warning
lights - the classic "Big Hand Syndrome"
which feels like a big hand is holding
your car back from going faster...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts