Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all,

okey, I am a grad student in Boston, and am very interested in cars.
I was looking at the prius message board for info for a consumer behavior project and let me tell you, it's very interesting and got me thinking into buying one.
You all seem so proud of your car and there is such a big sense of community behind it that's just great.

Okey, I need help, still for that project of mine. Could you please let me know -if you have some time- if buying the Prius was primarily for the mileage savings, or for its green quality.
One more thing I'd like to know, is whether you are generally concerned with green issues and if so if you do do anything with regards to that.

Well thanks a lot in advance for considering answering to my questions, that would be of such great help.

I hope you'll keep happy with your Prius, and am really looking forward seeing one on the roads up here in Boston.

Have a good day

[%sig%]

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I bought mine for these reasons (in order of precedence):

1) Green qualities
2) Mileage
3) I like new technology

If one were to do a careful evaluation of the price difference between
the Prius, and say the Toyota Echo, which also gets respectable
mileage, the cost differential would buy a lot of gasoline for the
Echo before the "break even" point would be met on the Prius.

So, if one was to base their buying decision on cost/mpg over time
the Prius would probably loose... but with Green qualities then
it way ahead.

[%sig%]

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks a lot for the help. It will be usefull, especially the comment about cost/mpg!

Regards

[%sig%]

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I bought mine for the reverse reasons....

1) I like new technology
2) Mileage
3) Green qualities

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My reasons:

1. Technology ( I like all the toys, wish there was a fuel used guage [xx.x], a heads up display with Night Vision [so I can see the deer at night in the road] )

2. Mileage (sure like the 44+ mpg, my S-10 truck gets 16)

3. Nav (don't have to stop and ask directions)

4. Geek Factor (enough said)

5. seats 5 (maybe), 4 doors

6. Green qualities (could be better but you have to start somewhere)

mpg/price over a Echo was not a factor, becuase if not the Prius then the car would have been an Oldsmobile Intrigue.

I hope my next car has Fuel Cell technology.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Why did I buy a Prius?

To make a difference.

[%sig%]

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As a retired electrical engineer, I'm with Ryan:
1. Technology (Especially, the way Toyota did it.)
2. Fuel milage
3. SULEV

Pudwuzzy
Waste not, want not.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I bought it to "put my money where my mouth is" about environmental issues. I care little about saving money on gasoline, except as using gasoline directly relates outputting greenhouse gasses and pollution.

I chose the Prius over the Insight because (1) I like the technology <not that Insight does not have cool technology too) and (2) I wanted the rear seat.

[%sig%]

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quoted from Perry McClintock

6. Green qualities (could be better but you have to start somewhere)

mpg/price over a Echo was not a factor, becuase if not the Prius then the car would have been an Oldsmobile Intrigue.

Perry,

I didnt understand your statement on number 6. The Green qualities of the Prius to me are almost like having a bike. Could you please explain your statement. I guess Im missing something.

Also , I already have the Olds Intrigue as a second vehicle. I love it too. It gets me 29 mpg when not using AC. AC on gets me around 26.

Thanks

[%sig%]

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Why a Prius? I guess it just happened. As empty-nesters, we only needed one car and were getting along fine with our 95 Plymouth Voyager. With 0% financing being offered by several carmakers, I thought it would be an opportune time to purchase another car. My wife and I couldn’t agree on any of the cars available. Having been bitten by the car-buying bug, we kept investigating and were leaning toward a late model Mercedes Benz 300 E. One day I showed my wife an article on the Prius and we decided to check it out. Once we drove one we decided to buy it. Nothing green or techy, probably mpg related. As we were finishing the deal while looking at the Prius outside the window, I was trying to figure how we got from a 300 E to a Prius. Maybe I’ll never know.

[%sig%]

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
1. Green (I've been diagnosed with adult onset asthma, live in L.A.)
2. Gas consumption (I have averaged 54mpg over 12000 miles)
3. To Encourage auto manufacturers to continue down this road.
4. Unless something radical changes, I don't think I'll ever go back to a conventional ICE car

[%sig%]

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
One more owner:

Green SULEV #1
Use of old/new technology #2
Same as John1701A = Make a difference.

(PS- I could have bought a VW TDI and gotten the same mileage with old technologies, but polluted a whole huge bunch more!!).

[%sig%]

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
1. Coolness factor
2. SULEV
3. gasoline consumption

Barbara
2002 Brilliant Blue Pearl in North Aurora, IL

(Waiting for the hybrid Ford Escape to replace our Chevy Tahoe. Would buy an electric RAV4 if it were available in Illinois and didn't cost $42,000!)

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Re: help/thanks

thanks a lot to all of you for your help.
The info is really interesting and does confirm some of the one I already had gathered.

Enjoy your time with your Prius,
Have a good day,

Sev

[%sig%]

1 - 14 of 14 Posts