Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This evening after attending a meeting out of town I got in my Prius, turned it on, and the stereo was dead. I have a 2005 Prius with option package #6 which includes the upgraded 9 speaker JBL stereo, to which I added the PriusXM kit about half a year ago. I robooted the car several times, and the stereo did not come back. After driving for about 20 minutes I pulled over and rebooted the car a few more times and still no go. With the car on I hear a very faint high pitched tone coming from one of the right hand speakers as well as a noticable static pop about every two seconds. This noise is present whether I have the audio turned on or off. Adjusting the volume with the steering wheel controls or the knob on the head unit makes no difference. Switching between AM, FM, XM or CD makes no difference. The beeps that I normally get when switching between screens on the MFD is gone as well. However the talking dashboard lady in the NAV system, the bluetooth phone interface and the reverse beep still work. The popping sound every two seconds will likely drive me nuts during my commute.

Has anybody else experienced this or have any suggestions?

Currently very unhappy!!

- Bill

·
Registered
548 Posts
ltu1542hvy said:
However the talking dashboard lady in the NAV system, the bluetooth phone interface and the reverse beep still work. The popping sound every two seconds will likely drive me nuts during my commute.

Has anybody else experienced this or have any suggestions?
Talk on the phone the whole way to work?

The bluetooth/nav lady work by switching off the normal speakers and switching over to their own audio channel (you can hear it when it happens, if you listen for it). Does anything show on the MFD when you switch audio modes (IE, does it show stations and tracks and you just can't hear them, or does it just say "AUDIO OFF")?

·
Registered
114 Posts
I had the opposite problem occur. I turned the car on, and the radio was on but every radio control was completely unresponsive, including volume and power. A quick shutdown and restart and everything was fine.

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
ltu1542hvy said:
The beeps that I normally get when switching between screens on the MFD is gone as well. However the talking dashboard lady in the NAV system, the bluetooth phone interface and the reverse beep still work.
- Bill
That tells me that the JBL amp has failed, or simply is not recieving network commands from MFD and HU, though I suspect the former. Your other symptoms supports this also. The MFD beeps are physically generated by the amp, at the request of the MFD through the AVC network.

The NAV lady connects directly to the front driver side speaker, so it doesn't need the audio system at all.

At one time, I did have a brief loud sqeal from my speakers while I was adjusting the audio. At that point the system was silent, including the MFD beeps. At the next traffic light, I rebooted and it was fine since.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Does it have to be dead? The amp is under the passenger seat right? Can someone have stepped on a cable, and pulled it loose?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks DanMan for your excellent answer.

Melgish, while that is entirely possible, it is highly unlikely. The last time that the audio system worked was while I was driving by myself to a meeting yesterday evening. When I got back into my car after the meeting the audio system no longer worked. It was several trips prior to the audio system malfuntioning that there was anybody but myself in the car. That being said, as soon as I get home from work this evening I will double-check all connections.

Thanks,
Bill

·
Premium Member
2,820 Posts
of course assuming that you're still under warranty, might as well have it checked out...

The popping sound sounds like one of the flaky amplifiers that there's now a TSB out for it, but if it is on a 2005 you'd have to check the VIN.

http://www.alldata.com/tsb/Toyota/11229 ... index.html
or
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/toy ... 001-05.zip
US TSB AU001-05
August 2, 2005. Parasitic draw from JBL amplifier. 2004-2005 Prius and other Toyotas. Some owners may hear a POP noise when turning the ignition on or off, because the amplifier remains on even though the car is off (which may result in a dead 12v battery after an extended cold soak. Replace with updated JBL amplifier.

Do you have any other problems at the same time? (As in, when you press any climate or Nav related buttons on the MFD, do you get "external system not connected" or something similar?) That would lead me to think of the well known malfunctioning MFD on 2004-2005 Prius, which is also known to have odd phantom radio sounds and unresponsive touchscreen requests.

Do you only have problems with the dashboard buttons, or the MFD buttons, or with the steering wheel buttons?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I double-checked all of the connections and tomorrow to work it's off to the local Toyota dealership, since Prissy is still under warranty. No problems at all with the MFD. There is a popping noise that repeats every two seconds as long as the car is on, regardless of whether the audio system is on or off. The audio system (AM, FM, XM, CD) does not work and the beep whenever you change a screen within the MFD no longer works. Bluetooth, spoken NAV directions and reverse beep still work. Steering wheel volume button increases/decreases volume while in a bluetooth call, but does nothing to the popping sound. I think I will follow up on Dan's suggestion and see if I can't get the AMP checked out at the dealership tomorrow evening.

Thanks all for your suggestions!

- Bill

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
If the audio system responds to commands, such as changing stations, CD, tracks, etc, but no audio, plus you hear no beeps, that would lead to the amp.

The popping noise heard when turning the car off under the parasitic problem is because the amp remains on, rather than turning off at the same time the sound sources turn off. Much like the older component stereos that had separate amps, preamps and sound sources. If you turned off anything before you turned off the amp, you heard a loud pop.

Besides, there has been a few occasional reports of the amp going nuts, which is why I figured out what my issue was when it happened to me. You just have to look at it logically in sections. The amp's job is to amplify sounds, as well as condition them. Its second job is to make beeps when told. It gets its sound from the HU, and though the MFD can command the HU to change stations, tracks and the like, so can the steering wheel controls independent of the MFD. So, if you have no sound AND no beeps, has to be the amp. If it weren't the amp, then the MFD AND the HU would have to be bad. Of course there could be a problem with TX (AVC) but then you would lose control of other things from the MFD, not just the audio.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
wayneswhirld said:
ltu1542hvy said:
...it's off to the local Toyota dealership, since Prissy is still under warranty.- Bill
I can't help but notice your car's name...that's the best one I've seen so far :lol:
She don't know NUTHIN' 'bout birthin' no babies, Miss Scarlett!

·
Registered
344 Posts
we wondered why your car was at the dealer, Bill... i haven't been on priusonline for a while to catch up on posts.

hope it gets fixed ASAP. they usually give Doug the audio stuff. but it's in quite capable hands. once he gets to it, that is. :roll:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
When the problem first started, it stayed broken for the first day and a half, and it has been intermittent ever since. Unfortunately when I took my car in they said that they couldn't duplicate the problem and thus had nothing to diagnose or repair. The only thing they said is that they suspect that the third-party XM radio might be causing the popping noise. Over the last week the audio has gone out during three trips and has been working mostly OK otherwise. "Mostly" since there is now one additional symptom, namely twice sofar when i touched the steering wheel volume button the volume immediately went to maximum volume (downright ear-shattering) and wouldn't let itself be turned back down. Fortunately at that point I could turn the audio system off and not cause futher damage to my hearing. Ever since I have been a little skiddish about turning the audio system on, but I have gotten so used to my punk rock station on XM that I really don't want to do without it anymore while taking Prissy for a spin.

I think I'm going to wait a few weeks or maybe even months to see if the problem gets worse, so that there will be a problem that can be duplicated while the car is in the dealership.

The service manager did offer to keep the car for a few days and drive it around to see if he could duplicate the problem, however there was a three day stretch this week where the problem did not recur at all.

This is getting very frustrating...

- Bill

·
Premium Member
887 Posts
Sounds to me like your shop is passing the buck to the "third-party" XM equipment, which is probably not "third-party" but rather a Solara XM unit which is totally compatible with the Prius radio because the guts and connections are the same.

The difference between the two is that in the Solara the controls are all physical, although somwhat remotely installed and in the Prius detailed control is routed to the MFD and steering wheel.

Anyway, your warranty is still good thanks to the Magnusen-Moss warranty act.

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
Yes, but the dealer does have reasonable doubt that the 'third party' device may be causing the problem. If it is the OEM XM, then it should work fine, unless the module is defective. However, both are controlled by the AVC network, so it is theoretically possible that a defective XM could cause the radio to go nuts. Since the energy/consumption screens get their updates through the gateway over AVC, and the MFD controls the HVAC over AVC, you would experience problems there too if the XM was jamming or jabbering the AVC.

You might have to disconnect the XM from the HU for a while during the time you are negotiating a repair with the dealer to eliminate that variable.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
At this point I think the dealer's technician was pointing towards the Xm since the problem couldn't be duplicated and the fact that the XM was an aftermarket item it was the only variable in the equation. Before I took the car in to the dealership (now already a week and a half ago) I disconnected the AIC-100i, and it didn't make the problem go away (I did want to remove another variable in the equation; in the meantime I have not hooked it backup yet). After I got the car from the dealership the problem has recurred a few times, but has gotten less frequent. I think for right now I will just let it pass until the problem starts recurring more frequently, and then not take it in until I'm reasonably sure that the probblem can be duplicated while at the dealership.

·
Registered
4 Posts
i'm having a similar problem with a 2008 base oem stereo (not JVC), all the controls appear to be working but no sound output however I do still hear the beeps from the MFD. I checked the fuse in the engine compartment and it was fine, is there another fuse I might be missing?

·
Registered
3 Posts
My Gen III 2011 radio randomly unloads the CD and turns off. When turned on again, the radio screen shows funny characters including some unreadable Japanese characters.

Anybody knows if there is a bulletin that providesvinformation on how to correct this concern.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello,
My Prius just lost its audio display (Sept. 2020) after jump-starting a battery (even though it wasn't the first jump-start).
Toyota service person said that a new unit will cost me... almost C$11,000... (I have not seen that high a quote reported before, on any forum).
Look at this: "RepairPal Fair Price Estimate $88 - $111" .... ????? HOW MUCH? WHAT A BLOODY JOKE!!!!
I looked for an alternative. Visions Electronics do offer substitute displays+radio, from C$2,500 up.
I also found a repairman - the only one who does audio diplays in Vancouver, B.C. area. He needed to get the unit out to see whether it was DVD-based navigation or a hard drive (I had no clue: there's no info in my papers, and mine was the latter). The repairman offered either [1] a used unit, CS$1,200+shipment+brokerage+customs +work, or [2] a 2014 unit for C$1,500+shipment+brokerage+customs+work (that was my choice)...
More interestingly, in a chat, he said that, from what he knows, the low voltage in a depleted basic battery may cause audio display to fail (my discovery: before jump-starting, know your audio display fuse, and pull it out!!!). However, he heard that the Prius models do have a device that is supposed to maintain the voltage, or prevent low voltage from affecting the audio display, but, for some reason, this device has not been working.
(And again, we - the customers, are to pay for this designed fault, as some here paid for poor soldering on early 2000 models!). Anyone for class action?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts