Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to replace the OEM tires on my 04 Prius and I am looking for a better replacement tire. So far I have reviewed all of the posts and I can not seem to find a recommendation that meets my needs. Hopefully someone out there can help. I live in Arizona so I need a tire that can handle high temperatures, give a smoother and quieter ride, and not decrease my gas mileage. Am I asking too much????? So far, I have seen posts for: Comfortred, Hydroedge, and Nokian. All of the posts talk about the handling in snow and rain (both in very short supply in Phoenix). All posts, except for the Nokian, say that gas mileage will suffer. Should I just replace the old OEM's with new OEM's? The Toyota dealership says Toyota picked the best tire for the Prius and I should not "mess with the experts". Thank you for any suggestions you can share.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Go read my recommendation in the Q&A Forum on Nokian NRHi.
Quiet, and no milage penality...actually it's better than the OEMs so far.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Sproket, I did read your post about the Nokian. What are your thoughts on the all weather or the summer tire? Here in Phoenix I would lean towards the summer tire and keep it on all year. What are your recomendations?
Thanks

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yes, you probably don't need a tire that can handle snow unless you travel north. What I've read about this tire indicates it's good into the cold temperature region...forget the actual degree. We've had monsoonal thunderstorms for the past week. Had a good test yesterday. Highway speeds and no worry at all. Felt very steady. No traction control or stability control issues as others have indicated on this site as with the OEM rubber.

PM me if you want to know where I got them.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Sprocket,

Are you running the all season or the summer tire? I checked the Nokian website and there is a dealer not to far from me. I will call them in the morning and ask about the performance in the Arizona summer heat.

Anyone else out there with a recomendation for a replacement tire that I can compare to the Nokian?

·
Registered
31 Posts
NRHi is not an all season tire. You may do better in $$$ by ordering from a Nokian reseller over the phone.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Hot Weather Tires

Toyota Mike,

Just a quick note to let you know that I am running Michelin HydroEdges. They have a temperature rating of "B", and "A" would be better for this area. But, I think because I am running 44/42 in them, they are not heating up as much as normal. I have had them on for about 35,000 miles; and they are wearing evenly and I expect them to last the 80,000 miles they are rated for.

They seem a little noisier than the OEM Bridgestones that came on the 2002 Prius', but since we drive with the windows up most of the time in Phoenix (especially now), it is not noticeable. Also, we have driven on them in rain, snow and ice on multiple trips to San Francisco and Denver (up the middle of the Rockies), and they are great all-weather tires.

I saw some new Bridgestones at Costco the other day that have a similar "V" tread pattern (for driving in the rain), but they were almost the same price and had a much lower tread wear rating. I might be tempted to try these in another year or two when these wear out, but I have had really good luck with Michelins and will probably stick with them. It's hard to beat the mileage and overall value of Michelins.

Note: When I first got the HydroEdges, I thought that they decreased my mileage about 2-3 mpg. But, as soon as I pumped them up to 44/42, the mileage surpassed my previous seasonal averages. I usually get about 52-53.5 mpg in spring and fall, and 42-44 mpg in summer. Winter varies according on where we drive (local Phoenix, Denver snow, etc.). My work commute is all city streets at 45 mph.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts