Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi,
i was installing an fm transmitter (the kind that hard wires into the antanae). It requires a power source, so I cut into the 2 wires connecting the cigarette adapter to hard wire it in. (1 wire being 12v, the other being ground). These wires are white (12v had stripe).

i was fairly careful, and it seems to be pretty safely wired. I powered up and there is absolutely no power going to that wire now. even when i unwired it and tried to return it to original state, its nothing.

whats wrong?

Fuse? I looked, the fuses all LOOK good but I don't know if I'm looking in the right place. I replaced (swapped) some fuses under the steering wheel, but no resolution.
any suggestions?

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Striped wire is ground.... usually. I think the exception has to do with the dimming dash illumination. Just checked the wiring diagram because of the usually part. Yup, striped is ground, solid white is 12V ACC switched.

The outlets have their own 15A fuses.

If you were trying to find 12V from the striped wire with a separate ground as a reference, you sure won't get 12V. You should though from the solid white wire.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you serious!??? Oh man, i put 12volts on the striped white wire instead of the solid! This would probably explain why I blew the fuse, right????

And btw, there are a TON of fuse boxes and fuses.. i ended up finding the proper fuse, and it was infact blown!

·
Registered
269 Posts
idealflaw said:
Are you serious!??? Oh man, i put 12volts on the striped white wire instead of the solid! This would probably explain why I blew the fuse, right????

And btw, there are a TON of fuse boxes and fuses.. i ended up finding the proper fuse, and it was infact blown!
Do yourself a favor and don't work on the big orange ones.....hehe :lol:

On a serious note though...if you are going to work on this kinda stuff, get yourself a "multimeter" and test everything before tinkering with them. Some of the better meters have "piercing" probes so you do not have to disconnect the wires to test them.

Never assume anything! :shock: Even a schematic could be wrong!

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
HIVOLTAGE said:
Never assume anything! :shock: Even a schematic could be wrong!
Yup, and in many cases it is wrong. Like there's supposed to be a switch to turn the glove light off according to the wiring diagram, but in reality, there isn't one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts