Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
An employee of mine, an older gentleman, bought a 2004 Prius a few months back (1800 miles). He went to get a hitch installed for a small trailer he pulls around. He was told he can't have a hitch on a Prius so now he wants to sell it. He told me that he could sell it for more than he paid, well, him being an older gentleman and me being a younger idiot, I assumed he was losing it. I called the local dealer and they said it is definitely a sellers market on the Prius and that they would give him more than he paid, but that he would be even better off selling it privately.

It is a 2004 package 3, silver exterior. Any ideas what he should be able to get for it. It is located in Brainerd, MN (2 hours nw of the twin cities).

Thanks in advance.

Ken Lacy

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hmm, from what I've read in this forum, most of us are trying to help each other find the best deal for purchasing a Prius at MSRP. The general vibe I have gotten is that no one wants to get gouged and no one wants to hear that other buyers are being charged a premium.

I recommend moving this topic to the 'Prius - For Sale' section of this forum. There are more sales people posting over there, and they might have some advice on how to get people to pay more for a used car than a brand new one would cost.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not looking to gouge anyone, not looking for someone to pay more for a used one than a new one - who poured salt in your wounds?

It is supply-demand - the market determines the price, I am just curious what the market is without spending hours of research on the web. I am trying to help someone else, who is unlucky to say the least, sell a vehicle.

Someone else can't gouge you with a price - you have to gouge yourself by giving in.

I appreciate the help though. I will post it there as well.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I would say look on ebay. There are Prius selling there, so just type in Prius and you'll find plenty of them for sale plus how much they've been bid up.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He is not selling because he is looking to make a profit, he is selling because he can't pull a small trailer with it.

He would be an idiot to sell it for less than market value, as would anyone else unless they were trying to help someone out or were selling it to family.

Can either of you honestly tell me that if you had to sell yours today, you would take less than market value?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
LeV - thanks, I tried that last night and Ebaymotors came up with 0 for toyotas - something was not functioning - I'll try again today.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I was afraid you would take it that way. No one "poured salt in my wounds". I was expressing the general atmosphere that I have perceived while participating on this forum. I wasn't on the attack. I was just interested in providing some advice without suggesting that your employee should charge a premium.

Find out the price for a new Prius with option package 3, and see if your employee can find a buyer that doesn't mind paying MSRP for a car that has been broken-in already.

Thanks.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You weren't afraid I would take it that way, don't pretend - your tone dictated how anyone would take your initial reply.

Why would I tell my employee to ask for less than market value on his vehicle? I would then be screwing him wouldn't I?

Charging a premium, would be charging over market value. And as far as I can tell, market value on a slightly used Prius is over MSRP. I was just trying to get an idea of how far over MSRP is the norm.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Start Sarcasm:

Alright, you got me, I was really trying to egg you on!

End Sarcasm.

No, really, Kenlacy, I'm not looking to raise any blood pressure around here. I noticed that your post had several views, but no responses, so I tried to form a reply that actually had some information in it, but also gave you my impression that this forum and in particular this section of the forum isn't the best place to look for advice on getting a price higher than what your employee paid.

It shouldn't be hard for him to sell it with little to no hassle for what he paid for it. Yes, he probably can make a profit on it, but again, I'll leave that to sales people to figure out.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Hard to say. Dealers in high-demand areas seem to be getting a few thousand over MSRP for new ones. At a guess your friend can probably make a little profit, but what can he do other than advertise and see what offers he gets?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Again - stop pretending man - just be real. I don't think you were trying to egg me on. Probably just your nature.

You pretend like what I am looking for is evil - it is how our society thrives - market and competition. I am looking for fair market value, things appreciate, while new vehicles typically do not, why should they be excluded from the rules of the general market. There are bad people out there in all walks of life, who take advantage of people, and I am sure their are some people asking absorbanant rates for their Prius, dealers and private - but you have a right not to buy them. I was looking for a fair market value. That's all.

·
Registered
35 Posts
kenlacy said:
Can either of you honestly tell me that if you had to sell yours today, you would take less than market value?
no, because I'm one of the many people on this list who don't even HAVE a prius yet, because we can't afford or refuse to pay over msrp. so we're on waiting lists to get a fair price. and that's what it's about...a fair price.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes, you have that right - the dealer gave you a price and said you had to wait for it. And if your neighbor wants one tommorrow, and is willing to pay extra, he has that right as well. It is ultimatley up to the buyer, not the seller.

You are a little confusing on answering my question.

If you had a Prius, and had to sell it, would you sell it for less than market value?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Geez

Comin on here tryin ta gouge these fine folks who are all about gettin a fair price on their long awaited farm wagon is bad enough.....then ya tell em ya can't even put a tow hitch on em and really burst some bubbles.....and between you and me kenlacey these folks gotta already be a half bubble off fer waitin in line ta buy such a butt ugly little buggy and antagonizin em could send em over the edge

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey I know this Ken guy. He is really a honest guy not trying yto make a buck. He is just helping a friend. Make him a offer what do you have to lose.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
LeV - thanks for the link - I will pass it on. I know the Toyota dealer told him he wasn't suppose to tow with it. I don't know if that is because of the hybrid system and weight calibrations or what.

He really wants to keep the Prius - so maybe that will help.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Looks like they only intend it for putting on a bike carrier or small platform.

Personally, if it was me, I'd tell him to go for it. But he is worried about warranty issues (I'd just remove it if it was a problem, but he is a bit older and I am not sure how easy that would be for him).

He is mulling it over.

Thanks again LeV

·
Registered
149 Posts
towing

Towing is NOT recommened, per the owner's manual. The Prius was not designed to tow anything but itself...the coastaltech hitch is for bike carrier options, instead of those strap on types. Hope that helps! Drive fun, drive clean, drive Prius...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts