Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Received the factory cruise control kit for my 02 classic, would like to install it this weekend. But my service manual set hasn't yet arrived, so I have one easy question:

The instructions state to disconnect the HV plug and then the negative battery terminal. I'm hoping someone can show me where the HV plug is.

I could look around and guess, but even if it's 'obvious', I'd rather be 100% sure I've got the right one. The idea of the airbag blowing up and removing my face whilst I'm removing it is NOT attractive.

Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Probably wouldn't do more than remove the eyebrows... ;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Eyebrows

Thanks Sanny, in that case I guess I'll just wing it!

.......NOT.

I don't want to be one of those guys that the EMTs all talk about when they're swapping "stupid human tricks" stories.

·
Registered
928 Posts
In the 2001-03 Prius, the HV service plug is right in the middle of the HV battery (near the top, as you face it from the rear of the car). The service manual recommends (ok, insists on) electrician gloves. If you're not hanging out near the HV components, you probably don't really need to worry about pulling the HV plug, especially if you do disconnect the 12V battery (nothing to energize the HV relay). The airbag probably is your biggest danger. Treat it gingerly. I believe it has a capacitor to hold charge for a while after the 12V is disconnected. Wait at least 5 minutes, longer to be sure, before opening the steering wheel.

Hint for accessing the 12V battery. Use a pencil point to push in the center of the plugs holding the cover in place. They will then slide out easily. Once they are out, push the centers back through from behind so they are sticking out of the face. When replacing the covers, insert the plugs, then push the centers in until flush with the faces.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks!

Thanks Robert! Exactly what I needed.

I figured they wanted the HV unplugged first because the HV battery charges the 12V battery, and unplugging the HV might reduce the chance of a spark when you pull the negative battery terminal.

I'll probably get a pair of proper electrician's gloves and pull the HV. This will be the first, but I'm sure not the last time I work on something where the manual recommends pulling HV.

Cruise instructions say the cap on the airbag is good for 90 seconds, but I'm going to walk away for 10min before going in there.

In my younger days I got a kick out of handling explosives, but older & wiser now I guess. I still enjoy setting off fireworks, but in VA they don't allow rockets so it's not as much fun :cry:

·
Registered
928 Posts
DanD,
As long as your Prius is not in Ready, nothing is charging the 12V battery. The HV battery is disconnected from everything via a relay.

Pulling the HV service plug offers a small additional margin of safety, but also additional risk when opening the case to the HV battery. As long as you're using electrician gloves, the additional safety probably exceeds the additional risk.

·
Registered
582 Posts
HV plug; air bag handling

Hate to disagree with Robert, but the HV service plug is on the left (closer to 12 v battery), not central. Use his "tip" to remove the retaining clips on the trunk liner carpet, and you will easily see it.

If you get a red exclamation point during the first restart afterwards, you have not re-installed the HV plug fully. Key off and try again.

Have pulled that plug and never got any tingles. OTOH, I was sweating while handling the airbag assembly on a dry, staticky day.

DAS

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
Cruise Control install - Classic

There are several installation stories here, with pictures:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/toy ... 985525257/

When I did mine, we just unplugged the 12v battery. didn't touch the HV battery. Just be sure to wait at least 5 minutes after unplugging the 12v before attempting to gingerly remove the air bag from the steering wheel. Obviously, make sure the car is off and the key is not in the vehicle.

If needed, there's a photo and explanation of how to pull the service plug here: http://www.asashop.org/autoinc/aug2002/special.cfm (strangely I didn't find a similar diagram in the Toyota Emergency Response Guide...)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Continually amazed...

by the helpfulness of this crowd. Glad I checked here again before going out to attempt the task. I'm going to call around and see if the local AutoZone or Pep Boys has an appropriate puller I can borrow.

Thanks much especially for the links mrv, I'll check those out before I go do this.

Based on the "no 12V charging unless READY", I think I'm going to stay away from the HV service plug and just unplug the 12V neg cable.

Service manuals arrived in the mail this morning, BTW :D

·
Registered
928 Posts
Re: HV plug; air bag handling

tochatihu said:
Hate to disagree with Robert, but the HV service plug is on the left (closer to 12 v battery), not central. Use his "tip" to remove the retaining clips on the trunk liner carpet, and you will easily see it.
. . .
DAS
I hate when my memory fails. I checked the picture again, and DAS is right. It's on the left side. I don't own electrician gloves, so I've never bothered to open the HV battery case. (It is electrically in the middle, however).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not so scary after all

Well the cruise installation went without a hitch. I got so used to working on an old car where every bolt was frozen and rusted into oblivion this was really a joy.

HV plug isn't so scary after all. Pull a few fasteners, lift up the trunk lining, and it's right there on the left end of the battery. I didn't use gloves, since the exposed portions of the plug are all plastic and I didn't see any exposed HV bits near it. Being a little paranoid, I did remove the plug without touching anything metal near it, but really not a big deal.

Steering wheel swap & brake light switch replacement were no big deal. The secret to reaching the lock nut on the brake light switch is just to pull two additional bolts and remove the metal cover over the parking brake pivot after you get the lower dash cover off. Then you have a straight shot at the lock nut from the left with a standard 14mm open end wrench.

Thanks again all.

Anyone need a Classic Prius steering wheel w/o cruise? Seems a shame to just trash it.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Yup, those manuals have everyone completely cowed, don't they.
The service plug is insulated. You would have to work really
hard to actually touch any metal part of the battery wiring
while pulling it.
Anyone familiar with working on household electrical wiring
will be right at home with the safety aspects of working around
the Prius HV system.
_H*

1 - 13 of 13 Posts