Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Can you run the a/c when the gas engine is not running? Like when you are "idling" for ahwile? If yes, do you think you can run it for about 2 hours while "idling" without running down the battery power too much?

Similar question re heat- Can you get heat while idling or does the gas engine have to warm-up and be running?

And... Do the rear seats fold completely down to create a flat cargo area, such as on the Tucson? And how much room is there(cu/ft) with the seats up, and down

Thank you!

·
Registered
669 Posts
If you are "idling" with car on and in Ready, if the battery gets too low, the gas engine will come on to charge it. I did this recently, I wound up waiting longer than I expected for someone to run an errand. I had the AC on and it was pretty hot outside and I was also running the stereo. After about 20 minutes the battery got down to 2 bars and the engine came on for about 30 seconds to boost it. If you have the car in one of the lower "on" states or put it in neutral (I've heard) the car can wind up discharging hte battery too much. Usually comes up in the context of car washes.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Same response here, except after only 10 minutes idling with outside air at 90+ and AC full blast, battery went down to 2 pink bars. I waited knowing engine would soon come on to recharge, and sure enough it did. I do believe both rear seats fold to give full flat effect. Check with Toyota website as it actually demonstrates how to load the car with an unbelievable amount of gear.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
"Idling"? If the car is not "READY" (on and ready to drive as normal) the A/C compressor won't run, but the fan and accessories will drain the 12V battery. Turn the car on and put it in PARK so that all accessories work and the engine will run as needed to recharge both batteries.

There's no heat if the engine doesn't run.

[editted to correct previous errors]

·
Registered
919 Posts
I've always defined "idling" in its basic sense--sitting idly by in your car waiting for someone. Even in Ready with Park, the battery does lose power quickly--mine was only 10 minutes until the engine recharged it. I'm reading here not to even attempt "waiting" in neutral.

·
Registered
669 Posts
As for the seats folding flat, there is a demo on the toyota site. Not only do both rear seats fold flat, but hte front passenger seat will fold down to the same level to allow for long items. Haven't tried it myself, I haven't been transporting any manatees lately...

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Astrowoman said:
As for the seats folding flat, there is a demo on the toyota site. Not only do both rear seats fold flat, but hte front passenger seat will fold down to the same level to allow for long items. Haven't tried it myself, I haven't been transporting any manatees lately...
Just the other day we tried this for the first time. Had no trouble hauling the 4 1"x10"x72" planks I bought to build a new desk hutch. I think you could manage 96" long boards, but it'd be a close one...

·
Registered
928 Posts
richard schumacher said:
"Idling"? If the car is not "READY" (on and ready to drive as normal) then you will drain the traction battery in much less than two hours. Turn the car on and put it in PARK so that the engine will run as needed to recharge the battery.
If the car is not "READY", you cannot drain the traction battery as it is physically disconnected via a relay. Nor can you do anything that needs the traction battery (run the A/C, recharge the 12V battery).

·
Registered
35 Posts
got 9 foot boards in

I had to haul some 9 foot pieces of lumber and they went easily from the far back trunk (driver side) across the flattened back seats to just up to the glove compartment (the front passenger seat was full pushed forward and then reclined to line up with the flat back seats). Of course I covered the ends by the glove compartment with towels because those glove boxes scratch so easily. But it was amazing...better than my former SUV.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
RSnyder said:
If the car is not "READY", you cannot drain the traction battery as it is physically disconnected via a relay. Nor can you do anything that needs the traction battery (run the A/C, recharge the 12V battery).
! Damn my rotting brain. I woulda sworn I've run the A/C in IG-ON, but you're quite right.

As Astrowoman wrote, if the car is "READY" and in "N" (which some may call "idling") accessories including the A/C compressor will run but the traction battery will not be recharged. The MFD gives a big warning message when you do this.

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
Just be careful - I see that you are in Brooklyn, and I know that NYC has an anti-idling law (no more than 5 minutes).

I posted more information about car idling (it's illegal in several places), it places unneeded stress on your engine, and burns fuel needlessly. Please see the end of this thread: http://www.priusonline.com/viewtopic.php?p=42159

as far as AC in IG-ON, neither the AC compressor nor the engine is heating the heater core, but you can still have the fan running (as that's 12v). Be careful, though, as in IG-ON the 12v battery cannot be recharged (hybrid battery disconnected), so you can run down the 12v and then need a jumpstart/boost to get your car going again...

With the Classic Prius, if you wanted AC the gasoline engine would need to run (as the AC compressor was belt driven from the engine). Unless you pressed the MAX button, the engine would only cycle on and off as needed to provide more de-humidified air. (same thing if you wanted the front windshield defroster, which uses the AC). Once the cabin is at temperature, the engine/AC cycles on and off as needed.
With the 2004+ Prius, the AC compressor is electric (powered by the hybrid traction battery). The gasoline engine is not needed to power the AC compressor. However, if you use enough of the hybrid battery charge, the gasoline engine will come back on to recharge the hybrid battery...

On any Prius, heat is still created the conventional way - "waste" heat from the gasoline engine. Once the cabin is at desired temperature, the enigine will cycle on and off as needed to keep you warm (or to keep itself/emissions components at operating temperatures).

as for volume, what are you trying to put in it (maybe someone has already tried it, or could try it for you)? Best bet is to try and find a demo vehicle near you, and load it up.

I've seen photos of a surfboard (I don't remember if it was a 7' or 8' board) in the Prius. Myself, I've brought home an 8' closet pole (only had to drop one side of the rear seat, stuck it between the front seats (had passenger)).

·
Registered
919 Posts
I didn't even look to see who provided this thorough explanation but told myself, "It's probably mrv." You know your stuff. Thanks for always informative posts.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
mrv scares me - but in a GOOD way... :shock:

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Hmm, I've left it in IG-ON before and had the battery drain from 5 bars to 3 bars. What happens at 2 bars?

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Tideland Prius said:
Hmm, I've left it in IG-ON before and had the battery drain from 5 bars to 3 bars. What happens at 2 bars?
There's a break in the space/time continuum and you end up in a Delorean.

·
Registered
8 Posts
:D For your fold down cargo answers go to http://www.toyota.com/prius/
click on “Prius in-depth”
You will have five options to “drag” into the pictured Prius that will show you the cargo handling capabilities. Room for everything but the Mother-in-law.

·
Registered
257 Posts
SamSmithIII said:
:D For your fold down cargo answers go to http://www.toyota.com/prius/
click on “Prius in-depth”
You will have five options to “drag” into the pictured Prius that will show you the cargo handling capabilities. Room for everything but the Mother-in-law.
Except I wanted to carry the ladder, bike, recycling, computer AND the lawn chair. According to the site it can't be done; only one item at a time allowed. However, it can be done in a Dodge Magnum Hemi.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
How long will it take until the ICE has to start to charge the battery? Depends how hard the AC has to work to keep the cabin cool.
I've sat in the shade at 6 in the evening a few weeks ago for about 10-15 minutes before ICE came on. However, if the AC is going full blast, probably would be less than 5 minutes.

It is possible the Prius could skirt the idling laws, since the engine is only running about 30 seconds every couple of minutes. The AC compressor and cooling fans can sound like the engine is running though.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts