Toyota Prius Forum banner

Headlight height

8K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  spokes 
#1 ·
My 06 is getting flashed by every 5th car or so, and lighting up the freeway signs from a half mile away. I took it to the dealer and they told me that they're all like that and that there is insufficient adjustment possible as it is a modular proprietary unit. I found instruction in the forum for adjustment, but it's a brand new car and it's not right. What are my options? Doesn't seem to me that I should have to fool with it.

#2 ·
Make sure your high beam isn't on? I remember driving for a little while with it locked on on.. haha.. but I haven't gotten flashed. I do admit it is bright as heck (once we were in front of another Prius.. not realizing it was a Prius.. and complaining about how bright it was).

#4 ·
Whatever comes w/package 3, that's what I have. There is a slanted line at the top of the light pattern which allows me to be very clear about the height. The manager of my dealer (Freeman in Petaluma, CA) told me that I would need to take it up with Toyota and that a; I was wrong, and,b; he had never heard of the problem at all. The cashier in the parts department said she'd heard the complaint quite a bit. Guess I'll try another dealer.

#6 ·
I'd expect that if you had the HIDs, but the US 2006 package #3 HF doesn't have HIDs...

There are headlight adjustment instructions in the Owner's Manual for up/down.

My US 2004 BC with HIDs has that light up everything problem (with low-beams), and are very bright. Most cars will flash us... We've asked the dealer to check, but the height is supposedly within the state headlight beam limits, so no adjustment has been done. :(

We just sorta gave up on it. But you may want to either try a different dealer, or a local mechanic (especially if they do state safety inspections). Have them do a headlight beam alignment, make sure that they're not set too high, and if they adjust them down that they don't go below the state required level.

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/toy ... 004-06.zip
US TSB EL004-06
April 28, 2006. Automatic Headlight Leveling System Warning Light "ON" or Flashing. 2004-2005 Prius w/HID headlights. replace rear vehicle height control sensor with improved one.

The TSB so far is only for 2004-2005 Prius only with HIDs, since they're the only ones with the automatic headlight leveling system. I'd assume that it was fixed for 2006, as the TSB hasn't been updated to include that year so far. The problem would usually manifest itself with the headlights being aimed far too low (people have reported that the fog lights were actually useful in these situations!), usually only a couple of feet in front of the car, and the headlight warning indicator on the MFD. sadly this doesn't usually store a code, and you'd have to get it to a dealer in this condition to get them to believe you and fix it...

#7 ·
But until the sensor got bad enough to trip an error, it could be off too hight or too low. It is when the sensor is out of range that an error is indicated on the display/dash.

But as was stated, that's only for HID. But even the HID has an adjustment as the halogens do for the baseline height.

#8 ·
:idea: QUOTE mrv: "...There are headlight adjustment instructions in the Owner's Manual for up/down. "

In my 2004 Owner's Manual, page 302 "Checking the headlight aim" provides an illustration and instructions for adjusting the up/down headlight aim. I used a Phillips screwdriver with an 8" shaft. For this to work, you need to seat the screwdriver shaft in the notch provided about 3-4" forward/above the adjusting gear. Got mine set using my garage door. You do need to remove the plastic "radiator support cover" (black plastic cover which goes from side to side just behind the top radiator tank. It's held in place by 6 'snap' screws - just turn each screw about 90º and pull up to remove the cover.)

#9 ·
I have the problem with my 07 Touring. I tried fixing the original as described here, it was too far gone to corrosion. I did buy just the sensor part from Dorman (China) and installed myself, NBD due to great info published here, but it proved to be defective. Trusted mechanic says Dorman electrical parts are junk.
Mechanic says buy the Toyo assembly for 370 and he will install for 30 bucks. I do not want to shell out $400 + does anyone have any good ideas?
Thanks for any assistance, great forum!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.