Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Headlamps with Auto Leveling Feature

I preserve still my Prius's window sticker. As a part of the BC package, it's mentioned the "Headlamps with Auto Leveling Feature".

I would like to know how that feature works...!

Could somebody be kind and tell me about it?

·
Registered
928 Posts
From the 2004 New Car Features, page BE-70:

- The automatic headlight beam level control system maintains the headlight beams at a constant level.

- This system is controlled by the headlight level control ECU. This ECU detects the vehicle posture via the rear hight control sensor, and detects the vehicle speed via the combination meter. The ECU then controls the headlight leveling actuator based on these pieces of information, in order to change the headlight reflector angle.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
HID

Headlamps with Auto Leveling Feature when having HID's

Do they work even if you have HID lights?

·
Registered
928 Posts
Based on the not particularly easy to interpret chart in the NCF book, I would guess that it is possible to have both options.

Neither of these options is compatible with the daytime running lights option, however.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
The headlamp autoleveling only comes with HID, as it is REQUIRED for HID. HID is so bright, that it is very important that the beam be straight no matter what the car rear load is. If you are carrying a heavy load in the rear, your car would be angled up, and normally without autoleveling, so would the headlight beam. The autoleveler adjusts for that so that you don't blind other drivers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts