Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any one know how to make adjustments to the headlights?

My Prius came through much to high.

I'd take it back to dealer but they would probably go to far and I'd have to keep going back. I would like to do this on the road until it's right.

If you tech types have a digital camera maybe you could e-mail me a pix of just where the adjustments are located.

[email protected]

·
Registered
344 Posts
um, you want to do it on the road and just hop in the car and check what you can see? you still may end up blinding oncoming traffic this way which is dangerous. dealerships have headlight aimers that will give you the best aim. i suggest for safety you have them do it.

if you have the HID lights they're self adjusting.

·
Registered
582 Posts
aiming them

Besides having X's on the right spot of the wall, Toyota servicers can reach into those horrible little places with sharp metal edges. Yes you can do it, but you won't enjoy it.

All I know is 01-03 Prius. If you have one of those newfangled models, it could be different.

DAS

·
Registered
13 Posts
Headlight Adjustment - RTFM

How to adjust the headlights on 04-06 models is discussed in the "do it yourself maintenance" section of the manual. It's simple and requires only a Phillips screw driver.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
What year?
HID or halogen?
How new?

HIDs still need manual adjustment. They are not self-adjusting, they merely compensate for load. But if the initial (no-load) adjustment is off, so will the compensated adjustment.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Headlight Adjustment

Cheallen

I looked in the Do-It-Yourself section of my 2005 "Owners" manual and only found how to replace the various bulbs. (Pg's 305 - 309)
Are you talking about a special "Maintenance" manual? Toyota parts guy told me there are several for different parts of the Prius. Quite costly!

I did notice the detail on how to remove the plastic cover. ( Similar to the method used by Honda on their Goldwing Motorcycles.)
I may take it off and see if I can find an adjustment for headlights under there.

Thanks for answering me with something pertaining to my original question.
I go to dealers if I have to. Seems when I "trust a mechanic" I get it back with something else wrong.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Re: Headlight Adjustment - Page 302 in 04 Manual

larry31 said:
Cheallen

I looked in the Do-It-Yourself section of my 2005 "Owners" manual and only found how to replace the various bulbs. (Pg's 305 - 309)
Are you talking about a special "Maintenance" manual? Toyota parts guy told me there are several for different parts of the Prius. Quite costly!

I did notice the detail on how to remove the plastic cover. ( Similar to the method used by Honda on their Goldwing Motorcycles.)
I may take it off and see if I can find an adjustment for headlights under there.

Thanks for answering me with something pertaining to my original question.
I go to dealers if I have to. Seems when I "trust a mechanic" I get it back with something else wrong.
In the 2004 Manual the headlight adjustment discussion is on page 302. The Changing Lightbulbs discussion starts on page 303. A scan of that page is attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Headlight adjustment

Cheallen

Again thanks for the info.

I'll use the pix you posted. For some reason, that only Toyota knows, they omitted that little piece of information in the 2005 manual.
My Pg. 302 has fuse and battery info. Nothing about headlight adjustment??

I really appreciate your going to the trouble to include that pix.
As soon as the trmp. goes above freezing here I'll check it out.

Larry

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Here is some guidance for aiming. This is from a 1963 European VW Bug owners manual. The distance between headlamp centers is different for the Prius, so measure yours and adjust accordingly. The pattern is the same as the Prius, though, so this will work.

The attachment shows the pattern for the left lamp at a distance of 5 meters (16.5ft) from the wall, with the right lamp covered up. Same process for the right--align with the right cross.

A quick method is to drive up to a wall on a flat surface (like a parking lot), then back up slowly and see if the pattern dips. If you get a 2 inch drop in 15-20 feet of backing (slowly, so you don't rock the car), then you know you won't blind other drivers.

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
headlight adjustment question

Is headlight adjustment by dealer covered by new vehicle warranty when car was delivered with improper adjustment setting?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Galaxy: Where did you get the rear bumper protector? Can't find it on the link.
Arnie

·
Registered
457 Posts
"Any one know how to make adjustments to the headlights? "
HID or Halogen.?
If you're still under factory warranty.. let the pro's do it.. Why do you assume they will screw it up..?

·
Registered
344 Posts
arnie: those links are put there by the site, not the users. i'm not a big fan because it does cause some confusion. :( i'm in the southeast... dealerships around here carry them. i would think they have them in stock in az too. good luck :)

jdavies: agreed. why does everyone think they're an expert when it comes to their car and that a mechanic will screw it up? oh no, beware the big bad mechanic who's going to purposely screw up your car so that his customer satisfaction ratings drop and he doesn't get his next raise...
right.
i have no more to say about that because if i go there, i will certainly offend someone if i haven't done so already. pet peeve.

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
arizonapilot said:
Galaxy: Where did you get the rear bumper protector? Can't find it on the link.
There was no link in his post. There was the ad popup (if you have a browser that'll support that view).

Toyota does have the "rear bumper applique" - a clear film put on the rear bumper just by the hatch door for protecting the bumper from scratches when sliding items out of the cargo area. The film has "Prius" written on it in dimples... You can get it for $40 from http://www.metrotpn.com/ProductDetails. ... rtIndex=10

Some people prefer the rubber molded bumper guard as sold for the Matrix. It is a little more solid, no model number listed on it. It's called a Rear Bumper Protector, but I'm not finding a price for it... http://www.toyota.com/matrix/accessorie ... rearbumper for a photo.

And then some other people have the clear plastic film (a 3M product sold under various names like Clearbra or Invisishield or the like) that covers the rear bumper...

·
Registered
610 Posts
:idea: At my 15,000 mile service, my state inspection was due and my Dealer reset my headlights - too high (Kept getting flashed by oncoming drivers). I chose to reset them myself rather than make the "return to Dealer" effort.

The most annoying thing was removing the plastic "rediator support cover" due to the strange little connectors which hold it in place. They aren't phillips screws as you might expect, but "clip-ins" which need only a slight turn of the Phillips screw to release. Once that was removed...

You need a l-o-n-g shaft Phillips screwdriver (mine is 8") and what the manual instructions do not detail is that the shaft of the screwdriver needs to engage a slot about 3½" from the adjusting mechanism and at an "up" angle from the mechanism. Seating the screwdriver shaft into these slots provides the leverage needed to adjust the headlights.

Just my 2¢ worth. Not a difficult task, just a little manipulation to get to it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts