Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering purchasing a 2001 Prius. I want to make an informed decision. In my research, I discovered the vehicle had the following repairs:

(1) ERROR CODE P0300 Engine Misfire and check engine light resulting in:
Replaced injectors and ECU (installed Cylinder Head Gasket, Fuel Injector Set, Injector Insulator and Engine Con Computer)

(2) Replaced Power Steering ECU

I am particularly concerned with repair #1. Did the car blow a head gasket or did an injector go? Could this be reoccurring problem? Could repair #2 be a reoccurring problem?

I owned a Neon and that blew a head gasket 3 times. I was gentle in my driving. Needless to say, I am now leery when it comes to this problem.

Thanks.

Hoping to be a Prius owner,

Jim

·
Registered
928 Posts
Replacing the fuel injectors requires removal of the Cylinder Head Cover. The gasket between the Cylinder Head Cover and the Cylinder Head must then be replaced. This is not the same as the gasket between the Cylinder Head and the Engine Block. The latter gasket does not need to be replaced because the Cylinder Head does not need to be removed.

Given the use of parentheses in the repair description, I would guess that the goal of the work was to replace the fuel injectors and ECU. The gasket replaced was probably the one between the Cylinder Head Cover and the Cylinder Head. In the 2001 Prius repair manual, both gaskets are labeled "Gasket", so it's not absolutely clear how to match the terminology to the description you have.

Replacing ECUs is normally done to get the latest version of the software (the 2001-03 Prius computers could not be field upgraded with new software). So it's not likely that ECU replacement will be a recurring procedure on the car.

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/toy ... 006-02.pdf
US TSB EG006-02
Mar. 1, 2002, M.I.L. "ON," Engine Misfire P0300/01/02/03/04, 2001 Prius, replaces TSB EG007-01. (May need valve clearance adjustment, replace fuel injector assembly/spark plugs, and replace Engine ECM)

You can also get the Engine Misfire codes by using high-octane gasoline or driving on lots of cobblestone roads... Nothing really to worry about. (New ECUs are a good thing - that's the only way to get newer versions of the control software.)

for #2:
oh, you say it's just the ECU... for that, there was a Limited Service Campaign:

LSC 30D - EMPS ECU replacement
Electric Motor Power Steering Electronic Control Unit replacement letter for some affected 2001 Prius (PS warning when steering wheel in neutral position)
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/toy ... sage/59107

but you might want to keep this filed away somewhere:
2001-2002 Prius power steering rack warranty extension
5 year / unlimited mile extended warranty on 2001-2002 Prius's power steering racks exhibiting a shudder/vibration.
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/toy ... sage/74446

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
I am suspecting that only the ECM needed replacement for the updated code. But the work was already done before you bought it, so a few less things to worry about.

You may want to investigate if any other campaigns were done, such as re-sealing the HV battery. If not, have them done, hopefully under warranty.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts