Toyota Prius Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
In the 80's I hit a child who ran out into the road as he looked behind him at his buddy chasing him (he almost hit the side of my car). Scared the hell out me, he went to the hospital with a dislocated hip. His mother was yelling at the kids "I told you this was going to happen". The police siad it wasn't my fault and that there wasn't anything I could've done to prevent it.

One of the things I love the most about my Prius is the stealth mode. Good luck to those who have special situations, i.e. cul de sac, I think you've got to come up with your own system

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Murray-

I, too, love the low noise level of my Prius (under all but hard-throttle conditions). I am not asking to make the Prius noisier.

There is no doubt that pedestrians are at fault for _some_ accidents. The problem with blaming children, is that they simply lack good judgement -- especially in speed-distance estimation (assuming that they are aware of your vehicle). We do not allow children to drive motor vehicles [on public roads] because of their lack of skill. The same speed-distance deficiencies also makes them more vulnerable as pedestrians. Children have a difficult time crossing a road safely -- even when they see the traffic.

Add "no audible cue" to the above equation, and we have a problem.

Because my car is so quiet (while driving down residential side-streets), I believe that I should be able to generate an audible warning. Leaning on the horn is annoying to me and annoying to my neighbors. Noise pollution is not the answer! A more polite, softer, and civilized horn tone would do just fine!

Steve
Maple Ridge, BC, Canada
'02 Brilliant Blue: "Titania"

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
> His mother was yelling at the kids "I told you this was going to happen".

There's actually an ADVANTAGE to stealth in some cases: when a person is completely unaware of what's happening in the environment around them, you're even more aware.

It is dramatically EASIER to hear small, quick children (that are sometimes difficult to see) when your vehicle is dead silent. So even though they don't hear your Prius, there's a good chance that you will hear them.

[%sig%]

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Hi all,

In considering the hazards of stealth, it is interesting to reflect how little effort is devoted to the safety of the other guy, as opposed to the safety of the occupants. Bumper mismatch between cars and light trucks is one particularly egregious example.

But things are changing. In Europe new safety measures for pedestrians in pedestrian/car impacts are scheduled for 2010. The idea is a pop-up hood that blunts impact.

Will try to reproduce the pop-up hood cartoon below.

For more go to:
<http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2002-05/bmj-pcb050702.php>
<http://bmj.com/cgi/content/full/324/7346/1145?lookupType=volpage&vol=324&fp=1145&view=short>

cheers, nathan

21 - 24 of 24 Posts