Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah, I know, it's a geeky thing to do. But my wife said "We HAVE to name that voice."

So far we've settle on "Holly." It's named after the computer in the British sci-fi comedy, "Red Dwarf." (Which was a female character for most of the series.)

·
Registered
610 Posts
:!: We named our "Nav Lady" ERNESTINE, after Lili Tomlin's telephone operator character. This due to her sometimes strange responses to verbal requests, unrelated to the request and even innane. Rather than becoming irritated, we consider it amusing - entertainment at no extra cost.

Around Texas, we have found the NAV system quite accurate (within its natural limits), and very helpful finding addresses in the metro areas.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I call it “The Nag” because it keeps nagging you if you are not following the exact route.
But, I really like the NAV systems, when I bought the Prius back in October ’04 I just ordered side airbags and the rear window wiper. When the dealer called in December and said the only ones that they are getting in were the fully loaded Prius or I could continue waiting, I took it. And now I wouldn’t give up the NAV system or the Smart Entry system.

·
Registered
59 Posts
The Nag? Not by my definition. The first time I missed a route turn she simply suggested that I go a half mile and take an alternate route to get back on course. No "What are you doing?" "Didn't you see the exit?" Can't you pay attention to where you're going?". That's nagging.

Our lady is Carmyne, the whole car, not just the voice. From Carmine Red with a little bit of my wife's possessive impulse. Carmine Electra was immediately rejected.....

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
I've often envisioned what the NAV lady (ladybug in my car) would say if she had a personality, especially when you go your own way.

"Turn right". Ding! <you go straight>
"Ok, well turn right at next intersection." Ding! <you still go straight>
"Hmmm. OK, well you can still go right after next intersection." Ding!
<still go straight>

"Look, if you don't want to follow my directions, why bother me?"
"Destination deleted, good night."
<MFD returns to consumption screen>

·
Registered
81 Posts
DanMan32 said:
I've often envisioned what the NAV lady (ladybug in my car) would say if she had a personality, especially when you go your own way.

"Turn right". Ding! <you go straight>
"Ok, well turn right at next intersection." Ding! <you still go straight>
"Hmmm. OK, well you can still go right after next intersection." Ding!
<still go straight>

"Look, if you don't want to follow my directions, why bother me?"
"Destination deleted, good night."
<MFD returns to consumption screen>
With all the electronics that the car is equipped with, the NAV can easily take control of the car, slow it down and make the desperately wanted right turn... :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
I almost hate to show how geeky I am, but Holly was the male computer personality. Hilly was the female. Smeg.

PriusNH said:
Yeah, I know, it's a geeky thing to do. But my wife said "We HAVE to name that voice."

So far we've settle on "Holly." It's named after the computer in the British sci-fi comedy, "Red Dwarf." (Which was a female character for most of the series.)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I almost hate to show how geeky I am, but Holly was the male computer personality. Hilly was the female. Smeg.

PriusNH said:

·
Registered
669 Posts
Re: Constance?

dbird29 said:
as in Constance Velocity?
:roll:
Perhaps Delta Vee would be just as appropriate? :shock:

We kinda named ours SAL, but it hasn't totally stuck. She's very acccurate around here, spookily so.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I call her Wanda Nomora. The last name is almost Japanese (like the car), and the whole name indicates the result of havng her on board.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts