Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, All. I am usually just a lurker on this forum, but I have a new issue with my '04 Prius that I am completely befuddled by.

I've had the car for almost a year now. About 2 weeks ago, I had the thing done where they "fixed" my gas tank (it was only letting me put 7.9 gallons in when the last bar was blinking) I don't know exactly what they did, but when I picked the car up, many of the settings on the computer were screwy.

OK, so last week I was driving along, minding my own business, when my horn started honking. All on it's own. My hands were on the perimeter of the steering wheel. I thought to myself "Hm. That was odd. But kind of funny. I wonder why it did that?" Then tonight, as I was driving home from work, the horn started going totally nutty! I live in Las Vegas, and was stopped at a crosswalk near the strip, where several inebriated gamblers were trying to cross - they must have thought I was crazy!! The horn kept honking, intermittently, and I kept getting dirty looks from the drunks! As I continued on my way home, it happened a few more times, but I couldn't MAKE it happen. I kept pressing on every little inch of the steering wheel, trying to find some spot that was somehow triggering the horn. At one point, the horn was beeping and my hands weren't on the steering wheel at all!

So then I started to get paranoid that my car was trying to tell me something; that it was yelling at me. But I quickly realized that was ridiculous. (I think?)

Once home, my husband got out the manual and we took the horn fuse out of the engine box, then put it back. He couldn't get the Haunted Horn to honk the way I had described.

Any thoughts? Ideas? Should I call my dealer and try to explain this wackiness? I don't want to make any more pedestrians (or other drivers) angry with my incessant honking. . .

Help!

Thanks,
Suzie

·
Premium Member
2,820 Posts
Not Prius related, but my first car
was also haunted. The horn was only
one of several issues it had, but...
Turned out to be a rare case that
the little metal contact clip that's
under the steering wheel cover was
slightly bent. On hot days when the
car was in the sun, the little metal
clip would expand, and press itself
against the contact plate, making the
horn sound continously. All I could
do was pull back the covering of
the area that you'd normally push
to sound the horn, to make it stop.
Very difficult to do while driving.
The car didn't have AC, so I'd have
to drive with all windows open.
Anyhow, the fix was to replace the
steering wheel horn contact, and all
was fine again.
(Worst occurance was it going off
all through my outdoor High School
Graduation ceremony - and I couldn't
get up/out to stop it!)

Anyhow, since part of the fuel gage
TSB is to replace the combination
meter, perhaps the dealer accidentially
knocked another wire a tad loose,
giving you a loose connection? My
only other thought would be an
installed alarm system malfunctioning,
thinking it needs the panic alarm
or something...

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Remote panic button at fault?

When you feel 'safe' honking the horn, try hitting the 'panic' button on your remote. If the honk interval is the same as the 'haunted' horn honks, then you've found your culprit; make sure nothing is pressing the panic button.

If that's not it, then take it back to the dealer for repair.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I called the dealer a few days ago regarding my willful horn. The service rep. I spoke to said she had never heard of that happening on a Prius; that Toyota had a truck about 12 years ago with a similar problem, and it turned out to be temperature related.

I know it is not the panic button, since that horn honking is at regular intervals. My random horn honking is just that; random. Sometimes long bursts, sometimes staccato beep beep beeps.

The service rep. also said that the work they did a few weeks ago was on my gas TANK, and they were never near my steering wheel.

She said I could bring the car in, but they would almost have to hear it happen to diagnose the problem, but they could take apart my steering wheel and steering column and see what they could find. . .

I told her I'm going to live with it for awhile. I am currently very pregnant, about 2 weeks away from my due date, and don't want to be stranded without a car, or have to spend a day waiting in the dealer's waiting room.

BTW, it hasn't happened again. . .yet.

Thanks for the input, ehurtley and mrv! (and the story of your high school graduation sounds hilarioulsy embarrassing!)
Suzie

·
Registered
78 Posts
Re: Remote panic button at fault?

ehurtley said:
When you feel 'safe' honking the horn, try hitting the 'panic' button on your remote. If the honk interval is the same as the 'haunted' horn honks, then you've found your culprit; make sure nothing is pressing the panic button.

If that's not it, then take it back to the dealer for repair.
I have had two "Haunted Horn" incidents, both occurring as I was entering or exiting the driver's seat. Apparently my key ring had shifted in my pants pocket so that another key was accidentally pressing the "panic" button on the fob.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My husband always says that the simplest explanation is usually the correct one. The reason I really don't think it is the panic button on my fob is that my fob is always in a zippered compartment in my purse, away from any other thing, and my purse is always just sitting there on the passenger seat. I'm not one of those women who carries everything but the kitchen sink with them, so my purse is not overpacked or anything.

I guess I'll just wait for it to happen again.

Thanks for the input, though!
Suzie

·
Premium Member
2,820 Posts
haunted alarm

Do you carry a cell phone with you, and where do you store it?

There's been this report of someone's alarm going off "randomly" - it was a 2003 with the GBS, but... their cell phone, kept in the driver's door pocket, was triggering the alarm every hour or so, whenever it chatted with the nearest tower:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/toy ... sage/78645 (you do not have to be a member to view the message...)

I'm not surprised. I cannot bring my current cellphone into the same room as my computers while they are on (well, at least their speakers). Every so often, I hear a fluttering sound from the speakers, which is really loud and startling if the cell phone is right next to the speakers, quiet when further away...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts