Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new 2017 Prius Prime Advanced and the hatchback opens so high my wife can't reach it to close it and I worry it will hit the garage door when garage door is open and above the open Prius Hatch. it is a hair away from hitting it.
I have seen many suggestions including a bungie cord - I can't see this as working long term without damaging something, and a step stool. I see screws placed along the side of the hatch near where the lift piston is attached. these screws do not appear to be doing anything and they also look to be perfectly placed to receive the end of the lift piston if moved and shorten the height that the hatch can open to. Has anyone tried this? I wonder about damaging the pistons or if perhaps the screws are indeed securing something I can't see inside the hatch. Love to hear ideas on this.

Thanks,
jdnewk

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a new 2017 Prius Prime Advanced and the hatchback opens so high my wife can't reach it to close it and I worry it will hit the garage door when garage door is open and above the open Prius Hatch. it is a hair away from hitting it.
I have seen many suggestions including a bungie cord - I can't see this as working long term without damaging something, and a step stool. I see screws placed along the side of the hatch near where the lift piston is attached. these screws do not appear to be doing anything and they also look to be perfectly placed to receive the end of the lift piston if moved and shorten the height that the hatch can open to. Has anyone tried this? I wonder about damaging the pistons or if perhaps the screws are indeed securing something I can't see inside the hatch. Love to hear ideas on this.

Thanks,
jdnewk

·
Registered
3 Posts
For anyone else who has this problem, we easily replaced the struts on a 2021 Prius by swaping out the 18" for 16"struts. My mom is 4'10" and couldn't reach the liftgate before but can now close it. It took 5 minutes after watching a YouTube on how to swap them.
16.24'' Lift Supports Depot PM3810 Lift Support | PM3810-W

·
Registered
2 Posts
For anyone else who has this problem, we easily replaced the struts on a 2021 Prius by swaping out the 18" for 16"struts. My mom is 4'10" and couldn't reach the liftgate before but can now close it. It took 5 minutes after watching a YouTube on how to swap them.
16.24'' Lift Supports Depot PM3810 Lift Support | PM3810-W
I just got 2021 Prius Prime XLE. I am 5', I can't reach the liftgate. Also, the truck open too high and it hit the garage door. I called the dealership, the answer was no solution.

Deeply appreciate, if you can share the youtube link as well as where to get the 16" struts.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just got 2021 Prius Prime XLE. I am 5', I can't reach the liftgate. Also, the truck open too high and it hit the garage door. I called the dealership, the answer was no solution.

Deeply appreciate, if you can share the youtube link as well as where to get the 16" struts.
Lift Supports, Gas Springs & Gas Struts | Lift Supports Depot
It took less than 5 minutes and worked perfectly. Good luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Lift Supports, Gas Springs & Gas Struts | Lift Supports Depot
It took less than 5 minutes and worked perfectly. Good luck!
Thanks a lots, it is helpful.
One more question, I have low ceiling garage. I need to make sure the new 16" struts would help to avoid hitting the garage opener and garage door. Can you please help to measure the new height when you open the hatchback? Thanks again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts