Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I parked my Prius (2005/smartkey) to get something out of the rear cargo area. With the car still on, I tried to open the hatchback, but it wouldn't open. I tried unlocking it with
the remote, but it still wouldn't open. It wasn't until I unlocked it manually from the driver's side armrest that it opened.

Is this normal? Was there another way to open the hatchback in this situation?

Thanks for any input!

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
I believe you have to unlock it "manually" from the driver's door panel if you have the power on ("With the car still on").

·
Registered
67 Posts
I would say that it is the way most locks works nowadays. You have to turn the engine (or car) off to be able to open the hatch. It´s to prevent "luggage jacking" while standing still at trafficlights.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
sprett said:
I would say that it is the way most locks works nowadays. You have to turn the engine (or car) off to be able to open the hatch. It´s to prevent "luggage jacking" while standing still at trafficlights.
Wow... that would have never crossed my mind. :( Nasty people.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies!

Thanks all. The luggage-jacking concept makes alot of sense. I'm just glad nothing's wrong with the car.

marlowe

·
Registered
670 Posts
Y'all aren't nearly as paranoid as I am.... I'd never get out and go around to the back with the car running for fear of someone hopping in and driving off with it!

This actually happened to a colleague of mine, in Madrid. He was driving away from the airport in a rental en route to a meeting. He pulled over to help some apparently distressed motorists and they promptly got in his car and began to drive off. Since his slides for his talk were in the car, he threw himself onto the hood and grabbed onto the wipers. This scared the would-be theives so much (OMG, he's crazier than WE are!) that they stopped and he got the car (and slides) back.

You may draw your own conclusions from this.

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
To unlock the hatch with the remote, you have to press the unlock TWICE. The first press unlocks the driver door, 2nd push unlocks all doors. The dealer can change this.

Do not confuse remote lock functions with SKS unlock. SKS you yourself can change the means of unlock.

·
Registered
171 Posts
C'mon guys and gals. Toyota did not design the Hatch locking system to prevent "Luggage Jacking". While it MAY indeed prevent that, it is purely a safety feature. Just like the Nav system not working when the car is driving, people shouldn't be outside the car opening the hatch while it is running. At least, from a corporate liability stand they shuldn't be.

Of course, the problem around here is people who commit "pet dropping". They will run up to your car, open the hatch, and throw their unwanted pet in. If you try to dump it back out, everyone thinks you are the one getting rid of the pet and you will be arrested. To avoid that, you have to keep the pet or do it to someone else.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
SgtKarl said:
Of course, the problem around here is people who commit "pet dropping". They will run up to your car, open the hatch, and throw their unwanted pet in. If you try to dump it back out, everyone thinks you are the one getting rid of the pet and you will be arrested. To avoid that, you have to keep the pet or do it to someone else.
Tell me about it! Anyone want a 3 foot aligator? It is really stinking up the car.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Hep said:
Tell me about it! Anyone want a 3 foot aligator? It is really stinking up the car.
3 foot? What happened to the other one?

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
melgish said:
Hep said:
Your brain exists in a slightly different dimension, doesn't it? :lol:

·
Registered
670 Posts
Sanny said:
melgish said:
Hep said:
Really big crocodile got got hungry waiting to get out of the car, and snacked on alligator.
I hear they taste like chicken...

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Astrowoman said:
Sanny said:
melgish said:
Hep said:
Really big crocodile got got hungry waiting to get out of the car, and snacked on alligator.
Close. They taste chicken.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Hep said:
Astrowoman said:
Sanny said:
melgish said:
Hep said:
Close. They taste chicken.
And small dogs, wayward kittens and marshmellows... and once, nearly, an Irish Setter. But he remained a 4-footed Irish Setter nonetheless.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
DanMan

I have the SKS, and I swear I tried pushing "unlock" twice...nothing happened. Are you sure this is supposed to work when the car is powered on?

Also, what exactly do you mean "the dealer can change this"? Change it to what?

Thanks!

To unlock the hatch with the remote, you have to press the unlock TWICE. The first press unlocks the driver door, 2nd push unlocks all doors. The dealer can change this.

Do not confuse remote lock functions with SKS unlock. SKS you yourself can change the means of unlock.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Re: DanMan

marlowe7 said:
I have the SKS, and I swear I tried pushing "unlock" twice...nothing happened. Are you sure this is supposed to work when the car is powered on?

Also, what exactly do you mean "the dealer can change this"? Change it to what?

Thanks!

DanMan32 said:

I thought we were talking about aligators...stay on topic :twisted:

It's been my experience that the doors cannot be unlocked from outside while the car is running. Since I've got the auto-door-lock feature from Coastal, I've gotten in the habit of using the rocker switch on the door before getting out... that never fails.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts