Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a Programmer/Engineer and would like to know if anyone has ever "hacked" the software for the MFD, because I would like to reprogram it to add some functionality and reprogram the nav buttons since I do not have a nav system. Any info would be welcomed ie: OS language, specs, IO...

Thanks

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
I don't think so. The NAV functions actually come from the NAV ECU. Once the NAV is 'awakened', the NAV recieves X/Y touchscreen presses, and returns RGBS to the MFD. Thus, your MFD really becomes a Keboard/Video terminal for the NAV.

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
iggy1iggy said:
I am a Programmer/Engineer and would like to know if anyone has ever "hacked" the software for the MFD, because I would like to reprogram it to add some functionality and reprogram the nav buttons since I do not have a nav system. Any info would be welcomed ie: OS language, specs, IO...

Thanks
Sounds like you have a Classic 2001-2003 Prius, as all of them have the Nav buttons whether or not the factory Nav was installed. (On the 2004-? Prius, you don't get the steering wheel or dash buttons for the Nav if you don't get a Nav package.)

You might want to read through the PriusMods yahoogroup. RGB/sync inputs and such have been explored, which have allowed some people to make the MFD a display for their laptop, or for a camera or external navigation system. I don't think the touchscreen has been decoded yet (for use as an input), nor is there any reprogramming that has been able to be done (other than to fix the 6CD changer on-screen disc change bug).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts