Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm so fed up with trying to purchase the new prius that I decided to file a formal complaint with Toyota regarding the practices of the salespeople and the seemingly unexistant "waiting list".

I've been on this "waiting list" since January and they keep pushing back my date, but never giving me a real timeline. They also are "unable" to tell me what number I am on their list... It all seems a little fishy to me....

Just want to see if anyone else has taken this approach and what the outcomes were.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
150 Posts
I ordered my Prius in March of 2004. They told me that i would get my car in about January of 2005.

You are not alone. Almost all dealerships have at least a half year of custmers waiting for thier cars. When most customers here of the long wait, they are floored, and leave fustrated. Most just simple buy something ealse. Only the serious customers actually are willing to put up with the long delays.

Cars are not built to order. Cars are built to demand requirements. This explanes why thier are a limit number of options combinations that are available.

Toyota will eventually fill your order.

Usally the dealership will know a couple of weeks befor that the car is on it's way.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had to wait three months for my Prius and have had it now for that long.

Just today I got a letter from Toyota "thanking me for my continued patience and to advise that your request is still on record at your Toyota dealer".

What's up with that? :shock:

The letter goes on to pat themselves on the back for being named Motor Trend car of the year.....

Then it says," Unfortunately, vehicle availability can be low and wait times can be lengthy due to current demand and production capacity." Blah blah blah.

Then they give a number to call if you have any questions that "your dealer cannot answer (like when am I getting my car?)

Toyota's National Customer Experience Center:1-800-331-4331.
Give it a try, it couldn't hurt!

Good Luck

·
Registered
19 Posts
I suggest that you find another dealer. I seem to remember back in the early 80's Honda and Toyota Dealers around here were playing mark-up games using a sticker from "Mid Atlantic Distributor" - it was their own organization and I believe it was phony.

A reputable dealer will write a contract, take a deposit and honor the agreement...it sound like you should contact your state's attoney general and move onto another dealer.

:roll:

·
Registered
8 Posts
I got really lucky. I ordered my Salsa Red #9 mid-March 04 and just received it last week (4/15) :D . I got lucky because they just opened a new Toyota Dealer in my neighborhood (Toyota of Rancho Santa Margarita) and they were able to order me exactly what I wanted and they got priority over all the other dealers in my area.

I believe they still have the ability to get them on priority. Talk to Chip, he is the Fleet Manager that helped me out.

The problem I have now is that I'm on so many waiting lists that I don't remember most of the places I called.

·
Registered
186 Posts
SAY WHAT!!!

I live at Portola & Glenn Ranch road, I am on the waiting list at Power Toyota at Bake and Rockfield!!! Early Feb and they are still filling October '93 requests.

Just read your post, unfortunately it's just after 11pm or I'd get over there now.

I am floored.

Jim

Rolen said:
I got really lucky. I ordered my Salsa Red #9 mid-March 04 and just received it last week (4/15) :D . I got lucky because they just opened a new Toyota Dealer in my neighborhood (Toyota of Rancho Santa Margarita) and they were able to order me exactly what I wanted and they got priority over all the other dealers in my area.

I believe they still have the ability to get them on priority. Talk to Chip, he is the Fleet Manager that helped me out.

The problem I have now is that I'm on so many waiting lists that I don't remember most of the places I called.

·
Registered
42 Posts
i guess it depends on what color and package you want as well as what dealership you go to.. I got mine in a month and 1 week.. :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
Long wait worth it.

I ordered mine in mid-December and got it just this month (silver, #9). I got constant feedback from the sales manager about when to expect delivery - because I pestered them every other week about it.

Initially, I was told it would take about three to four months for delivery. At the end of three months I was told it might take another two months. I feel fortunate that it didn't take that long.

There really is a huge backlog on this car. Placing an order with several dealers at the same time may help (some have done it), but if you've been waiting more than a week already, it won't do any good. However, this practice puts a false image on the demand of the Prius and is not recommended.

I am now told by the same dealer that people are having to wait up to eight months. A friend of mine ordered an Infinity G35 when they first came out and she waiting 9 months for that car.

I love my new Prius. It was worth the wait.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Re: SAY WHAT!!!

Yes, Tues. Geoff took the deposit and put me on the list via phone. I stopped by and got my receipt but had no time to drive one again.
Thurs. I stopped by and Chip took me for a ride or I actually took Chip for a ride. Chip didn't know any Rolen but said he knew a Ron D. in a red one. Prius is even nicer than I remembered but not all is well.

There is a thread on Priusonline that talks about big people, well, I went to my cousins house for her daughter's birthday and a relative who hadn't seen me for a while patted my stomach. Yes, yes, I said but I have lost about ten already but I haven't been on a scale for 3 years, I think I am about 240. My cousin said, go use my scale.

I was only off by 28 1/2 lbs. So yes, the Prius can handle big poeple, I didn't realize I was that big and I am not happy about it, what a shocker and guess who passed on birthday cake and ice cream?

Rolen said:
jimb said:
Okay, done. Now I am on the waiting list at RSM Toyota too.

jim
I hope Chip or Geoff took care of you?

Ron

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just got my Prius yesterday, Black package #7. I only waited 5 weeks. Ordered it on March 19th. However I was flexible on the color. I originally ordered the Salsa Red, but said that I would take any color as long as it was a package #7. If I had been flexible on the package I could have had a package #3 (I think? The 1100 package). If you willing to be flexible you may not have to wait as long. However, I live in Northern Virginia/Washington DC and I don't know if there are any differences in ordering time compared to the rest of the country.

John

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was originally waiting on the list for Toyota of Hollywood, but they are charging $2,000 above sticker. I switched to Longo Toyota and have been waiting since December 03. A month ago I was supposedly number 40 on the list and it was going to be a month. Now I'm number 50 on the list and it will be 4-6 weeks. Too bad I really want this car or I would just walk away from the whole mess. It is very frustrating. (The 800 number for Toyota does no good. They take your information and then suggest you call your dealer. Fat lot of good that will do me.)

·
Registered
13 Posts
My girlfriend and I (a.ka. Prius Dreamer of the initial thread) are buying a Prius together and we wrote a letter to our local news channel letting them know how frustrated and lost we are in this process.
They helped us contact Toyota to put in a formal complaint, and are interviewing us later this week for an upcoming piece they are doing on the Prius.
Basically they will have a little section in the piece which goes over consumer rights in situations such as these.
It appears the voice of 1 consumer does not matter to companies anymore. They listen when you get the media involved though.
I strongly suggest that if you feel like your getting taken advantage of, speak up.
The dealer has finally started to cooperate and has all of a sudden started doing their job. They said that the next allocation is supposed to have our vehicle. We find out on Friday.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Waiting list

I walked into Valley-Hi Toyota/Honda of Victorville, CA on April 14, 2004, and inquired about a Prius. They had one delivered just that same day and, amazingly, there was no one waiting. I gave them the check and drove off the car that day. The car is a #8 Super White. I paid the full sticker price of $24,222 plus tax and license. Since then, I have put in slightly over 2,000 miles at 45 - 49 average MPG (I have a long commute). I just love the car.

Bob

1 - 15 of 15 Posts