Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at buying a remote for my Prius for my parents. I know it won't be cheap. Has anyone bought a remote? Anyone know what the cost is? (This would be NO smartkey, just a regular remote) Has anyone programmed it themselves or is this something you have to have the dealer do? If so, what does it cost to program it?

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
You never mentioned which Prius, classic or THSII.

For the THSII, they are about $100 for non-SKS, and has to be registered with the car using the Toyota scan tool. At least the immobilizer does, you might be able to register the door lock remote with a dance.

·
Registered
919 Posts
When I bought my 2005, pkg. A, I was told an extra remote was $215. I'm still considering it as I hesitate to give up my key to my daughters who live elsewhere but occasionally come home and drive my car. Where can I get one for $100?

·
Registered
232 Posts
$215 would be for SKS
:shock:
OUCH!
We should re-name this the Smarts Key!

intr.v. smart·ed, smart·ing, smarts
1. To cause a sharp, usually superficial, stinging pain:

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No smartkey for me.

I've got a 2005 with package 1. No smartkey, keyless entry.

I've found one for $148 that includes directions for programming at keylessride.com But if you need a scantool, how can you do it yourself? But if I add $50 for the dealer to do it, I'm still saving over the $215.

I also got a quote from anythingtoyota.com for $131 plus $7 shipping. I'm asking if that includes the directions for programming or not. If it doesn't and I still have to take it to the dealer, it's still cheaper than the $215.

Today I'm calling the dealership to ask their price on a remote and how much to program one. Then I'll know a little better where I stand.

And I'd also like to know where you can get one for $100.

·
Registered
919 Posts
No Smart Key, but probably included programming. Even for $215, at least Toyota would take care of everything and I'd be worry free.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Can you use a standard key if you have smart Key installed? I'd like to have a cheaper option for a backup/emergency key.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What I've found, what I've decided.

I can get a fob from anythingtoyota.com for $131 plus $7 shipping. That seems to be the lowest price I can find. And I'll have to get it programmed by the service department. They need the new fob, my current fob, the car and tools they have. This according to both anythingtoyota and the dealership. It will cost $47 to program. If I buy the fob at the dealership it will cost $178 and I'll still have to pay the extra $47 to program it. So it's cheaper to buy from anythingtoyota.

Anythingtoyota can cut the key for free with the code, which I believe is the little silver tag. Or I can have any locksmith do it.

All in all a very expensive proposition but I'll pay it because I don't want to give my parents my only spare key. I also doubt the price is going to come down significantly over the next year or two. I will caution them how expensive it is so they don't do anything careless with it.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
gschoen said:
Can you use a standard key if you have smart Key installed? I'd like to have a cheaper option for a backup/emergency key.
I believe so, yes. Only difference is that you will have to use the remote to unlock the door, then stick the fob in the slot.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts