Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am new to this forum. I test drove an 04 Prius and was so impressed that I am seriously considering purchasing one. However, after some careful thought, I had a serious question regarding the health of Prius owners (after several years or long term effects). What I am about to ask is, and I don't mean to offend any Prius owners, is, "can the Prius generate harmful electromagnetic radiation over time"? As an engineer, I know that electromagnetic energy is generated when either you have a powerful electric transmission or magnetic waves are generated. The Prius, from what I understand, has a HIGH voltage motor (the new 04 has now even more than the old one). Because the motor and engine are both located physically close to the person (say within 3-4 feet) of the firewall, and there is no "lead" protection walls that I know of in the vehicle, can this proximity be a hazard in the long term? I don't know if tests where done, but, I am wondering if this could be a health hazard. I am posting this one also in the technical to see if there is anyone who could answer this question. Thanks alot!

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Wow, Thank you all for responding! I must say I learned a few things from this post- some things about EM, some things about Cell Phones, and some things about the people who responded! It was rather a bit amusing to read some of them! But, seriously, I think there must be more information that we still don't know regarding long term effects. I still believe that when you are dealing with High Voltage, there are significant electromagnetic waves present that cannot not be overlooked. It simply comes with the territory. But, as to how much of this affects the front driver and passenger being so physically close to the source, I begin to wonder....and also how much has Toyota designed the car to shield us from it?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.