Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am new to this forum. I test drove an 04 Prius and was so impressed that I am seriously considering purchasing one. However, after some careful thought, I had a serious question regarding the health of Prius owners (after several years or long term effects). What I am about to ask is, and I don't mean to offend any Prius owners, is, "can the Prius generate harmful electromagnetic radiation over time"? As an engineer, I know that electromagnetic energy is generated when either you have a powerful electric transmission or magnetic waves are generated. The Prius, from what I understand, has a HIGH voltage motor (the new 04 has now even more than the old one). Because the motor and engine are both located physically close to the person (say within 3-4 feet) of the firewall, and there is no "lead" protection walls that I know of in the vehicle, can this proximity be a hazard in the long term? I don't know if tests where done, but, I am wondering if this could be a health hazard. I am posting this one also in the technical to see if there is anyone who could answer this question. Thanks alot!

·
Registered
928 Posts
Not likely. Toyota says no. The motor casings are steel, the hybrid electronics casings are aluminum and the cabling is short runs of shielded coax. All high voltage frequencies are limited to 4 kHz which is way, way, way below ionizing frequencies. So it'd be a challenge to get yourself affected adversely by the Prius' "radiation".

But have fun posting your studies of damage due to overhead power lines. That's a pretty typical follow up to this question.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts