Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It really gets me that they call this a hands free phone, when in fact you have to push buttons on the NAV screen in order to place a call. I thought the NAV system would enable voice commands that could be used with the phone like, CALL TOUCH PAD 1, or DIAL <phone number>. I mean if ONSTAR and PARROT BLUETOOTH can do it, I just figured Toyota could do it.

Now it's bad enough that after 5 miles an hour, you can't dial a number that is not in your phone book, but what is worse.... dialing a number or moving through screens to find a "touch button" to dial the number. I think Toyota needs to upgrade their voice commands to include some PHONE commands as well. I am still upset that I can't add a phone number to the phone book without reloading the entire phone book from my cell phone. Pretty inconvenient or should I say STUPID!!

I think it is time Toyota do a major upgrade to their software for these systems to implement some of the things we have discussed here. What does everyone else think?

Sorry about going off like this, but when you spend this kind of money for a high tech car, you expect it to be high tech!!!

·
Registered
581 Posts
I concur, (but be forewarned that praising anything from GM in this forum, like true handsfree from OnStar is akin to stating that you like to have sex with small children and eat assassinated adults 8) )

But I digress:

I only use the cell to dial a few numbers, so hitting the steering wheel button and then the popped up screen panel once is not a large distraction to me. Maybe I just got used to it after several months. I had OnStar until 2004 and used an earpiece connected to a one-touch cellphone in the interim.

Have you tried the V710 upload via a laptop and Bluetooth that was listed on this site?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I Attach voice labels to phonenumbers of the Prius phonebook, and than can place a call with voice commands.
First command is Dial by Name, next one is the recorded voice label, than Dial. It works great.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Phish Phood said:
If your cell phone has voice dialing, cant you pick up your cell, push button and do the "voice dial" and it rings through your speakers?

If I have to pick up the phone, it ain't very hands-free, is it? :wink:

My e815 is voice activated, but not in concert with the BT in the Prius. To make it oice active, I have tohit 2 buttons on the phone and then hit the Prius buttons..

Meanwhile, I just rearended the vehicle in front of me... :cry: :?

As a point of reference, Commander Naval Region Southwest (where I work) has mandated 'hands-free' devices, which include all radio devices .

My joke is that I have a $27k dollar handsfree cellphone that gets 50MPG :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
736 Posts
hands free

This doesn't relate directly to phone use, but how about the Audi A8L I was driving today for a client, which to change radio bands, requires that you push one button, twist a knob, and then press the knob to complete the process. Almost as bad as BMW's I-Drive! Managing controls in some cars nowadays will dangerously divert your attention from the road, if you are not extremely careful. And, in my view, the lawyers' disclaimers don't excuse the lousy engineering.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
I am not sure where, but I just heard that one juristiction is looking to ban cellphone use in vehicles altogether.

I wonder why radio use, both during the CB craze and business use radios weren't a problem all these years, and what would happen to businesses if the ban goes through. No more radio dispatched tow trucks or taxies.

·
Registered
736 Posts
hands free

I've read of several cities, and even states, trying to ban cell phone use while driving. You can almost bet if you see someone pull a boneheaded move while driving, he or she is on a cellphone. But you can also easily find people driving while eating, shaving, applying makeup, and even reading. While there aren't specific laws or vehicle code regulations covering these in Calif., my son, who is a cop, says a driver can be cited under one that will work: unsafe speed for conditions. The officer can then just list the conditions. I wonder what the judge would have to say about BMW's I-Drive?

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
'Conditions' was meant to refer to road conditions, such as excessive fog, slippery wet, icy, etc. Distracted driving would better be described as careless driving.

I once was cited for careless driving when in fact it was because I was trying to be careful that got me into the accident. At a 4 way stop I neglected to consider cars coming from my left, a very rare occurance considering it was a dead end leading to nothing more than a firehouse parking lot. I didn't trust vehicles coming from my right so I paid too much attention to them, forgetting about my left in the process.

Neglectful driving would have been a more accurate citation, if there is such a thing. One benefit from that was that I was finally convinced to obey the speed limit, even if the accident wasn't speed related.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Marco said:
I Attach voice labels to phonenumbers of the Prius phonebook, and than can place a call with voice commands.
First command is Dial by Name, next one is the recorded voice label, than Dial. It works great.
I am kind of stupid when it comes to this stuff. Can you give me details on how to do this? This sounds exactly what I am looking for!!

THANKS!

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
Titanicman said:
Marco said:
I am kind of stupid when it comes to this stuff. Can you give me details on how to do this? This sounds exactly what I am looking for!!
AFAIK, it's a new feature on the 2006 Prius.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
mrv said:
Titanicman said:
Marco said:
AFAIK, it's a new feature on the 2006 Prius.
Sure, again it is a NEW feature in the 2006 Prius. Why does it only pertain to the 2006 model? Isn't it software? Can't software be upgraded? Maybe I'm stupid, but my Jag was upgraded all the time when something new came out. I just found out last night that I can't add XM to my 05 package 6 radio as this too is a 06 addition only. #*&%* :-(

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Also the AVC electronics don't have an update portal like the drivetrain ECUs do.

Also, the 2006 display itself is much different than on the 2004/2005. Better resolution. You can't update an LCD screen to have better resolution, can you?

As for XM, I am not sure about the new Prius sanctioned XM OEM option, but there are other avenues for XM. The OEM XM originally designed for the Soloris works fine on the 2004/2005 Prius.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Phish Phood said:
If your cell phone has voice dialing, cant you pick up your cell, push button and do the "voice dial" and it rings through your speakers?
Not on the 04. If you have a Verizon phone - from which you cannot upload the phone book - the phone's voice dial is disabled while it is connected to the Prius BT. So a safety feature of the phone itself is actually disabled in the name of removing a driving distraction, thereby creating a driving distraction, because you then have to pick up the phone and manually dial it to make a call. (You can receive incoming calls through the car's BT, though.) The only way to use the voice dial mode on the phone itself is to disconnect it from BT either with the phone/car settings or by plugging the earpiece into the phone. Nice to hear this is addressed in the 06 Prius. Is there a software change we can get for the 04?

Susan

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.