Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the recent record surge in gasoline prices, do you ever have second thoughts or guilt feelings about buying and driving a Prius--especially when you see a fellow driver at the gas pumps paying $25 or $50 to top off their gas tanks? :oops:

·
Registered
121 Posts
Nope.

I'm proud of my car and gloating at my good sense in buying it when I did.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Guilty? Not a bit. But, if you want to discuss smug, self-satisfied, smirking, gloating, and downright gleeful (only in the most evil way)... :oops:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Only time I feel guilty is after I talked to my friends all about how much gas saving I had in over mths and went on that I only had to pump every 13-15 days. Then I had to ask them how often they need to pump, most of 'em say 2-4 days.

After I done bragging, I felt bad..really feel guilty, but I got over it the next day then I do it all over again bragging to them. :lol:

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Actually, what I think happens, an environmental inner child inside a Prius owner takes over as gas prices go higher and says... :eek: YES!! :eek:

Of course, understand, I am of the opinion the U.S. govt should put an immediate $1./gal tax on gasoline, then gradually another $2./gal over time. All revenues to be used to fund conservation, alternative clean energy programs and mass transit, with a goal of complete independence from foreign energy and a 5 fold decrease in air pollution and traffic congestion.

·
Registered
157 Posts
The polar bear has it all down right. My wife --an economist, environmentalist, and the spur to our Prius purchase-- argues that high-priced gasoline is our only salvation. Gas expensive = drive less OR field a fleet that uses less (or both).

It's not so much a question of gloating. We simply need to use less gas per mile and emit less per mile.

Preaching to the choir, here, I know.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Isabelle said:
argues that high-priced gasoline is our only salvation. Gas expensive = drive less OR field a fleet that uses less (or both).
Our only salvation, and political suicide for any public official who proposes it.

How did the Europeans manage to do it?

Guilt? More like disgust. My Prius is a statement that I have some awareness of what's going on around me environmentally, economically, and politically, and it disgusts me that with gas at $3/gallon, most Americans are still clueless, and continue to fill up their SUVs like mindless sheep.

·
Registered
393 Posts
priusenvy said:
One answer, that may seem silly. SMALL ROADS. I have a friend in London, hates the small roads. And with a HUMMER or something like that? Please.

That, and the fact that for the most part, Americans have their collective head in the ground.

I see this all the time. Weather I am filling up my SCION xA (41 on the HWY, 36 round the city), or now my PRIUS, I see Americans whip out the credit card, and pay, with out thinking about it. Like they do at McDonalds.

I use cash. And when I do, I notice the money leave my hand. Thus, I notice the cost more.

Just my ¢.02 on it.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I pay with a credit card at the pump so I don't have to stand in line at the register.

Higher gasoline taxes seem like an excellent way of funding transportation infrastructure and simultaneously encouraging less polluting vehicles. I'm not sure how much of such funding is from gas taxes now, but I don't think it would be political suicide if they also proposed removing toll booths and lowering other taxes at the same time by the corresponding amount. Still don't think it'll ever happen though.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I pay with a credit card for the miles :)

Have been thinking about getting a Shell card, since I've been using a station near the office and as gas prices continue to rise, the cash/gas rebate is looking better all the time.

Cheers,
Jeff

·
Registered
393 Posts
Not to get too OT, but I also don't have any credit cards...I don't like paying someone else to use my money, that's all.
I am the last one on the planet not to use them.

None. Zip. Nada. So that is why I use cash. And like I said, I notice what I am buying then. It really does seem to make me 'pay' more attention then.

Plus, going into the station means I can get a water...which is nice.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Uhh, you can still go in and get water if you want, even if you pay by credit card.

I hardly ever use cash, for anything. I use plastic everywhere I can. I get points for it, and I don't pay anyone to use their money. If you pay the bill in full every month, you never pay interest. If you have the self control to be aware of what you spend, as you obviously already display, then you shouldn't have any issues. Life is tough with no plastic, tough to rent a car, tough to make a hotel reservation. Heck it is even tough to get a mortgage, as we like to see some evidence of your ability to mange your credit. My wife and I carry a balance on our card, maybe once a year, that is it. Something comes up and we spend a little more then we thought for vacation or something. $8-10 bucks in interest and we are done. The problem is when people have a constant rolling balance -- for years.

Spike

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
"Guilt feelings........"

priusenvy said:
Isabelle said:
argues that high-priced gasoline is our only salvation. Gas expensive = drive less OR field a fleet that uses less (or both).
Our only salvation, and political suicide for any public official who proposes it.

Guilt? More like disgust. My Prius is a statement that I have some awareness of what's going on around me environmentally, economically, and politically, and it disgusts me that with gas at $3/gallon, most Americans are still clueless, and continue to fill up their SUVs like mindless sheep.
One of the reasons for me posting this subject--"Guilt feelings about buying and driving a Prius"--is that my summa cum laude University of Wisconsin graduate in computer engineering--keeps reminding me that "only a fool would buy a Prius". Lastest statement is that "it disgusts me to think you actually drive that piece of xxxx!" He is so boastful of his big Toyota 4Runner 4WD V8 but in the same breath says he will not drive home to see us unless WE pay for his gas both ways and "your guilty if I don't come home on weekends!" I could also some other choice comments of him about our new Prius but I don't want to offend the sensibilities and consciences of readers/contributors to this website! :cry:

·
Registered
92 Posts
Don't forget to save some of that tax revenue to help out the single moms and working poor who can't afford to drive a decent well tuned automobile that's less than ten years old, let alone a 25 thousand dollar eco/ego booster. Unless you can have that mass transit infrastructure in place overnight, that just about how quickly those folks won't be able to get to work anymore. And let's' not forget about rural farm workers who will never be able to use busses and trains.

Guilty, no, just proud to be able to help.

·
Registered
224 Posts
TJandGENESIS said:
Not to get too OT, but I also don't have any credit cards...I don't like paying someone else to use my money, that's all.
I am the last one on the planet not to use them.

None. Zip. Nada. So that is why I use cash. And like I said, I notice what I am buying then. It really does seem to make me 'pay' more attention then.
1) VisaCheck cards - use anywhere they take Visa, and the amount comes directly from your checking account, and you never pay interest since it's all secured by your checking balance

2) PDA Quicken - easy to record everything you spend with the stroke of a pen onto your Palm, so you always know what you have.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Re: "Guilt feelings........"

dzitlow said:
my summa cum laude University of Wisconsin graduate in computer engineering--keeps reminding me that "only a fool would buy a Prius". Lastest statement is that "it disgusts me to think you actually drive that piece of xxxx!" He is so boastful of his big Toyota 4Runner 4WD V8 but in the same breath says he will not drive home to see us unless WE pay for his gas both ways and "your guilty if I don't come home on weekends!"
Ask him why, if he is so smart, why isn't he rich?

Also tell him that ten years from now, he'll look back and realize how stupid he was when he first graduated from college. He'll be embarassed about how arrogant he was when he was so clueless.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Re: "Guilt feelings........"

priusenvy said:
dzitlow said:
my summa cum laude University of Wisconsin graduate in computer engineering--keeps reminding me that "only a fool would buy a Prius". Lastest statement is that "it disgusts me to think you actually drive that piece of xxxx!" He is so boastful of his big Toyota 4Runner 4WD V8 but in the same breath says he will not drive home to see us unless WE pay for his gas both ways and "your guilty if I don't come home on weekends!"
Ask him why, if he is so smart, why isn't he rich?

Also tell him that ten years from now, he'll look back and realize how stupid he was when he first graduated from college. He'll be embarassed about how arrogant he was when he was so clueless.
I don't know if he is rich or not being single with no debts and $60k+income. You see, we paid for all his college costs. After completing the university, he traded-in the almost new Ford Explorer XLT 4wd V8 we gave him for a 2002 Ford Explorer 4wd V8 Eddie Bauer Edition with all the toys and whistles. He had problems with this new vehicle starting on the 6 mile trip home from the dealership when the master brake system developed a leak. Nine months later he traded this Ford Explorer in on to new 2003 Toyota 4Runner 4wd V8 loaded. He took a real wash on his Ford trade-in value and had to finance the loan on the new 4Runner. Maybe this is why he may not be "rich". :roll:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Kids 'n' cards

Dzitlow,

No offense, my friend, but you've obviously mollycoddled the little darling into assholiness. I assume the cords are cut now and he is embarking upon the enlightening journey of making his own way in the world. :)

About VisaCheck Cards: I just cut mine up and replaced it with a non-Visa check card. Here's why.

My wife lost her wallet. Within an hour, charges began appearing: $2800 at Bloomingdale's, $3200 at a jewelry store, etc. All on the credit cards plainly labelled SEE I.D. Either clerks weren't checking photo i.d., or the criminal looks strikingly like my wife's D.L. photo.

Anyway, the credit card charges weren't the biggest hassle. The biggest hassle came with the VisaCheck Card. Since no PIN is required, the criminal charged several hundred dollars worth of stuff which is charged to our checking account. Of course they can't take out more than is there, but if you have outstanding checks, they will bounce and you'll get hit with hundreds of dollars of bounced-check fees.

We got the charges reversed (it took two weeks) and had to borrow money to deposit in our checking account to cover the outstanding checks after the felon cleaned out our checking account.

Thus, my advice: Forego the "convenience" of the VisaCheck Card and stick with a check card that always requires a PIN to be entered.

Jan

P.S. No guilt about my Prius. Just glad I can afford to put some money where my environmental mouth is.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts