Toyota Prius Forum banner

group gatherings...what do you do?

4K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  efusco 
#1 ·
I've formed a Black Hills Hybrid car club. Held 2 gatherings. Have about 8 interested people on an e-mail list and three Prius cars that have shown up. Not alot of hybrids here...yet! I want to include the Hondas, otherwise the group would be really small! And the Escapes and Lexus, whenever they get to our area. Notice the GM "hybrid" is not part of the club plan. I was wondering what other 'groups' do for a gathering. What 'events' do you hold? So far, it's been a Prius show and tell and driving tips. I'm planning a drive for MPG thru the Hills for our September gathering, hoping for more than just the 3 Prius cars. Best MPG will be recorded for an afternoon drive thru the Black Hills of SD. Thanks for any ideas. Love my Prius! :wink:

#2 ·
I don't really understand these "club" things. When I was in a local Corvette club, we just went someplace to eat. Eat, eat, eat...at some local buffet where you load your plate up with these little shovels...

Unless it was to go to races at Daytona. Not much better than pig-out events, because to me, car races are noisy and boring. I'm not the type to sit around drinking beer all day while baking in the Florida heat watching noisy cars going 'round and 'round in circles all damned day.

Besides, I'd rather be driving than watching!

Occasionally, we would have a massive "drive" someplace, but then you have to contend with a bunch of other people on the road in cars almost exactly like your own, and it's like being in a bunch of lemmings, all going to the same place. When I drive for recreation, I like to choose my own way on a whim and the wind.

Although I might show up occasionally at a local event, just to meet some folks, for the most part these driving meet-ups are really not for me....not on an ongoing basis, anyhow.

#3 ·
Sometimes, it's interesting to meet some folks face-to-face after having posted online with them for a while. And repeat events allow for new members to join up, too.

And generally, a group meal is a pretty good way to get to know people. Other good socials include picnics and bay cruises.

#5 ·
Having some local expert (e.g. from Toyota or a retailer) come and speak on something is always interesting. Getting discount offers from local retailers will surely help attendance? :lol:

Have fun...wish I had a more local "club" to meet and see other Prii modifications! :D

Brian

#6 ·
I would go to meet with other Prius drivers, but I would not be inclined to join a club.

I was in a Corvette club. All they ever did was eat at Shoney's once a month, go on huge "drives". Think traffic jam where everybody else is driving the same car as you, except in different colors, with different wheels and chrome exhaust tips. Oh yeah, and go to car races.

When we weren't going to eat, on a drive, or to a car race, we spent the time talking about eating, driving, and going to car races.

I like food, but not that much. I try to avoid traffic jams. And car races bore the cr@p out of me. :roll:

#7 ·
I host car club meets all the time for my Jaguar and BMW. The biggest difference is that we go on Canyon Runs with those cars. We just cruise down PCH or take Santiago Canyon and twice the suggested speed. :twisted: Its really neat seeing a bunch of the same cars cursing together.

The problems with the Hybrid cars are they are too few and far apart. The people who have Hybrids also don’t yet have a great deal of mods. And you can’t really cruise anywhere in a Prius. What makes the BMW runs fun are the fact that we have 60 – 70 cars. 3 to 4 Prius isn’t really a meet. A really awesome car club meet is route 66 they do every year. 2000+ perfect condition hot rods show up and cruise.

So I don’t know what you do at a Prius meet. No reason to check out everyone’s stock car, Can’t Cruise, and a very limited number of people could go. The Prius just isn’t much of a car you bring to meets.

#9 ·
I attended one of the first meet-ups of '04 Prius folks ever in Orlando back in Nov. (maybe it was Oct. or Dec...hard to recall now).

Anyway, it was interesting and I think may be worthwhile for a number of reasons.

At the time the EVb was very new, it was cool to see what was going on there. It was interesting to see what mods and ideas others had done to their Prius.

Our meeting had the advantage of the attendance of Wayne Brown & Coastal Dave. Dave showed off his back-up camera and DVD player. Wayne showed off his additional batteries. Everyone had photos of their first 55mpg tank (ok, that's really old news now!)

There will always be a range of knowledge and skills. It's an opportunity to meet someone who can maybe help you hook up that sub-woofer you've been afraid to tackle, or who has the guts to pull off the dash parts where you were afraid of breaking something. It gives you resources you can call on if something's going funny and the dealership is giving you the cold shoulder.

It allows you to meet the's annonymous screen names face to face.

And yea, there's beer and food. :p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.