Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first post here. Be kind :)

I have a new Salsa Red '05 with package #6 and I absolutely love it. I also have the Mot V710 phone with Verizon service. I've read through all the posts here and searched all the forums, but could not find an answer to my question.

My phone has the latest firmware, so I was able to get the Bluetooth to work, and I discovered that it doesn't support OBEX protocol, so I know I can't upload phone entries this way. I had an idea that since the phonebooks appear to be global to all phones, I could use my VX6600 PocketPC, which supports Bluetooth with OBEX (which I only use for e-mail and organizer functions, i.e. no phone) to upload my phone entries. I realized that it only supports one entry at a time, but I can live with that. I created a few contacts with just the name and one phone number with the format "(xxx) yyy-zzzz". When I tried downloanding them one at a time, it seemed to work. However, I noticed the entries appearing in the phonebook, but they are grayed out? I cannot select them after I downloading. Anyone seen this before or know if I'm doing something stupid?

Thanks,

Jim

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks mrv. Sadly, I already learned about this from reading the posts. (And as far as I can tell, there is no soft override for this.) I should have been clearer. I was parked when I was doing this and they are still grayed out.

I should also point out that I tried formatting the numbers as "xxxyyyzzzz" since I read somewhere that it doesn't like parenthesis, but it didn't help.

Jim

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bluetooth connected, 3 bars of service. I wish you could somehow see the phone number that is in the phonebook entry. Perhaps the numbers aren't coming over as valid numbers? Nah, the names are OK, why wouldn't the numbers come over OK? Very strange. Still clueless...

Thanks,

Jim

·
Registered
59 Posts
Why do you say you can't see the numbers? Both the names and the numbers show up in the phone book. You should be able to just go into the phone book and pull up the various entries. If you have names and no numbers, there may be some problem with the format used by the device you are transfering from.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That must be the problem then. For some reason, only the names are showing up. :(

Anyone else ever try and transfer a number with an XV6600 PocketPC? I know someone with a Treo 650. Maybe I'll borrow that and see if it works.

Thanks,

Jim

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
:(

I hate it when a new toy doesn't do what you hoped it would. There are lots of other fun things in Little Prius, so don't give up joy. :*

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I thought the v710 had updated the firmware to be more compatible...not that part?

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Are you able to manually dial using the Prius, or is that greyed out too?
If it is greyed out, sounds like a problem where the Prius thinks you are moving. The dialpad on the screen will display, even if you don't have a phone connected. When you finish and tell it to start dialing, then it will come back with a phone error if it can't connect.

I have no phone (yet) but can still initiate a dialing session, that subsequently fails of course.

·
Registered
59 Posts
DanMan32 is right. If you haven't done so, you should verify basic functionality before assuming it's a bluetooth/phone problem. You should also be able to set up some 1-Touch numbers using numbers from the incoming or outgoing call logs. These won't have a name but they will verify the basic system is working. Normally, nothing is greyed out while you are stopped and 1-Touch should work even while moving. If 1-Touch is working then you might look at the pocket PC phonebook to see how its structured. The Prius will only accept one number for each name so if there are multiple number fields, it may be necessary to use a different field on the pocket PC. We use a Palm based system and had to edit a separate phonebook list so that was transferrable to the Prius.

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
things to note:
only the first phone number entry per name is transferred over. Hopefully that isn't someone's fax number! (try restructuring your phone's phonebook to be John Smith H, John Smith C, John Smith W for home, cell, work, instead of one entry for John Smith with the several numbers under it...

The Prius doesn't like the ()- characters to be transferred over, and usually displays them with lots of ||| on the screen. Try and change your phonebook to not have those ()- offending characters.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks to all for the suggestions. It's comforting to see such an active group!

I am able to dial calls manually (when the car's not moving) with no problem. I am also able to set up the 1-Touch numbers by using numbers I have previously dialed, or by using numbers of previous incoming calls. I am able to dial out using the 1-Touch numbers, even while moving, but as we all know, the numbers are not shown when moving. I am also able to dial out from the phone itself, either manually or from the phone book with the voice coming over the speakers. Sadly, I am NOT able to use voice dialing when in the car (I have to disconnect the Bluetooth to get this to work).

I also realize that it only will transfer one number at a time, and it takes the first number in the phone entry. In my case, I made entries with only one phone number per name to test this out, and I tried both formats of (xxx) yyy-zzzz and xxxyyyzzzz. Neither work. Because the phone numbers do not show up on the screen, only the name shows up, I am assuming now that the transfers are not happening properly. Without the number in the entry, I'm guessing it grays out the name.

This is why I was hoping someone had the Audiovox VX6600 and could try this out. If not, would someone mind trying to transfer a phone entry with just a name, and no phone numbers in that entry? I'm willing to bet that the name will transfer and be grayed out.

Thanks,

Jim

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
1 - 16 of 16 Posts