Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can the GPS in the car be used to track the car? It seems that when I first got the car I was told to register the GPS for theft prevention purposes. But I don't know if I dreamed that or if I am supposed to do it (and where).

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
No, the GPS system doesn't transmit, so it won't help anyone track you.

OnStar, on the other hand, transmits and is therefore trackable. Little known is the fact that authorities can listen in on the in-car conversations in an OnStar-equipped vehicle, even if you haven't activated the system. Supposedly, a warrant is required, but how do YOU know who's listening?

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
EcoPlayer said:
Can the GPS in the car be used to track the car? It seems that when I first got the car I was told to register the GPS for theft prevention purposes. But I don't know if I dreamed that or if I am supposed to do it (and where).
The GPS on the Prius is only a receiver for the satellite signals, to place you on a map.

However, if you had some security tracking device put onto your car like GuidePoint, then yes, you would want to register that (and also let your auto insurance company know so they can give you a discount).

·
Registered
157 Posts
<<<They don't encrypt OnStar? Nice to know.
>>>>

The bad guy on Miami CSI last night didn't know it, so Horatio
tracked his Escalade onstar.....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts