Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a monthly fee for GPS service? If so, how much?

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Hep,

Are you talking about the GPS in the nav system? AFAIK, there is no charge... At least, Guidio hasn't come round my house yet.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I ordered my car I did not get the nav system, but the salesperson told me you had to subscribe to a service to use it. I believed him. Was I wrong? Should I not always believe everything a salesperson tells me?

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
I did not subscribe to anything. I think the salesman may have given you innacurate information.

I do know I'll need to purchase an updated dvd eventually, but I expect that will only be after I get tired of going to places that no longer exist.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Hep said:
When I ordered my car I did not get the nav system, but the salesperson told me you had to subscribe to a service to use it. I believed him. Was I wrong? Should I not always believe everything a salesperson tells me?
No subscription. Your sales guy was a ..a.. jerk comes to mind, but I guess he may have been quite nice. Lets say Wrong! :roll:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Let me expand on my earlier post. Use of the GPS signals from the satellite constellation is free. When you buy a GPS receiver, it comes with a basic mapset...over time, the software gets updated as new roads are built, new businesses are developed, etc, and if you want the very latest information you will probably have to buy updated software from the map data provider...but this is not a subscription or monthly fee. You can use the original mapset forever if you don't care about updated information.

My StreetPilot III came with major freeways and cities in its memory. In order to get down to street-level accuracy I had to buy additional software, which is frequently updated by Garmin and/or MapSource. These online updates are free, but if I want to update the basic mapset it is going to cost me.

In the aviation world, GPS receivers contain databases with info on airways, navigational waypoints, airport data, etc etc and the FAA requires that a current database be installed in order for the GPS to be used to fly under instrument flight rules. These database updates are not cheap. Still, pilots use the signals received from the satellites without charge.

Bob Gardner

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I guess I don't have to send in that monthly check for FM radio either? :wink:

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Hep said:
I guess I don't have to send in that monthly check for FM radio either? :wink:
Yes you do, and if you've forgotten the address, let me know :p

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It wouldn't be your address would it? :roll:

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Of course not.. Only a fool would give out his address to a stranger on the internet. No, I'd setup a post office box just for you :)

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
:lol:

The check is in the mail.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts