Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any way to search for a POI name (NOT category - NAME) for the nearest matches relative to someplace OTHER than present location?

For example, I know I can ask it to display a list of Applebees restaurant in order of their distance from my current location. Can I ask the same question but relative to a different location?

This is easy with my little Garmin portable GPS. You can use the result of any search as the reference point for a new search. But I can't see any way to do that with the Prius GPS. Does anyone know if it this can be done?

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
OK, here's I can do it in my 2004 (2006 might be different):

Start entering a POI name, but don't complete it. When you get close enough, click LIST. Then you should have 3 buttons on the left, one of them being Enter City. You would only be able to select cities in the area your navigation is set to. So in my example, I would not be able to select any New York cities, as I am in the SE area and have the navigation set to that.

By the way, setting an area doesn't mean you can't see the map of that area, it only means that some searches for POIs will be limited to the area selected.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the reply Dan. The problem with your suggestion is that I don't necessarily know the city. Suppose I am driving to a distant location and decide I would like to have dinner in an Outback Steak House if there is one anywhere near the hotel I'll be staying at. There might be several nearby, but they might all be in adjacent towns and I am unfamiliar with the area so I don't know where these towns are. I have no idea how far any of these places are from where I'll be staying. No reason I shouldn't be able to ask for a list, in order of the distance from the hotel I'll be staying at, of the nearest Outback Steak Houses.

The ideal solution - which is what my little portable Garmin does - is to provide an option at the end of a destination search that lets you begin a NEW destination search using the result of the search just completed as a reference point instead of the current location. It provide maximum functionality. I can enter an address and then search for the nearest Home Depots from THAT address - or any other combination of searches. Also - it would be very easy to implement since only one value needs to change - the reference location for the search.

I spent hours in the garage last night searching for some way to do this. Unless there is some undocumented *trick* I have concluded that it can't be done (in my '06 anyway).

BTW - I will be moving from NY to Sarasota in July. I'll be right down the road from you. Looking forward to meeting you when I get down there. (Actually I'll be flying in to TPA tomorrow for a 1 week vacation.)

Richard

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
Actually, I am about 45 minutes in the opposite direction from TPA than you'll be going. But relatively speaking, still in the neighborhood.

Unfortunately the NAV is not quite that sophisticated. That might have to do with the resources (such as screen resolution) they had available.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
DanMan32 said:
Unfortunately the NAV is not quite that sophisticated. That might have to do with the resources (such as screen resolution) they had available.
This little guy does it with a tiny 1 1/2 inch screen.

http://www.garmin.com/products/spi3/

All they need to do is add an option on the screen that appears after a destination search is concluded that asks you to choose which of the 3 routes you want to use. New option: Search again using this location as a reference.

They already do something similar for the POI Category search. The first option is to choose a search reference: current location, city name, or map. If they did the same thing for POI Name search it would help a lot. But the maximum flexibility is to allow any search based on the result of any previous search.

Do you have any idea who I could contact to at least make the suggestion?

Richard

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Yeah, but the fun of this system is in cases like a driving vacation, where you decide mid-day how far you want to drive, look up a motel and restaurant in tho POI database, then phone ahead your reservations, all on the go.

·
Registered
52 Posts
You can always just zoom in to the area of your destination with the desired POI icons (hotels, restaurants) on and get plenty of information.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts