1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody noticed a disrepancy between a true street address
and the address that the Nav. System indicates ?. :x
The interesting part is that, even at 1/32 zoom, the street and
cross-street locations appear just right.
(The Nav. DVD is rev. 2.1)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yes. I have notice that on some of the streets the numbers are reversed from what they actually are. Other streets are off by a block or so. But the vast majority are correct.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My spouse just bought an 04 with package 9 and he's complaining that the navigation system will not work to find an address at all. It cannot find the city of Los Angeles. Can't find streets. Now it works great for just tracking where you are driving. He says he can find east coast cities - it is possible he has the wrong CD?

nps
Los Angeles

·
Premium Member
2,820 Posts
newpriusspouse said:
My spouse just bought an 04 with package 9 and he's complaining that the navigation system will not work to find an address at all. It cannot find the city of Los Angeles. Can't find streets. Now it works great for just tracking where you are driving. He says he can find east coast cities - it is possible he has the wrong CD?

nps
Los Angeles
I highly suggest he spend some time reading the thick Navigation System Owner's Manual, and particularly to go through the setup/quick start guide.

In one of the setup screens, you choose the region of the country that you are in/want guidance. Sounds like he has selected an east-coast region, and intends to only be driving in Califorinia... I suspect that once he changes the DVD map region to something local, he may be on the way to turning on the guidance and mapping functions...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thank you, m, he figured it out this morning. He said that it wasn't in his navigation quick start up manual so that threw him (you have to set this or it won't function - it was set for Penn). But after going through the thicker manual... <blush>. Now I need to locate the best cell provider in So. Cal that can also handle bluetooth (just found out Verizon cannot). I read here about the model of phone, just need the provider.

nps

·
Registered
18 Posts
GrnDrvr03 said:
Has anybody noticed a disrepancy between a true street address
and the address that the Nav. System indicates ?. :x
The interesting part is that, even at 1/32 zoom, the street and
cross-street locations appear just right.
(The Nav. DVD is rev. 2.1)
Well, my house is an example of an error. It appears to be off by about a half block. 1987 is what the street number should be according to the GPS, but the actual address is 1929. The really interesting thing is that the STAR indicated for my street address in MapQuest is exactly the spot where the Prius thinks my house should be located. I have also rented a car a few years ago that had a Magellan system and it also thought my house should be about a half a block away. I am starting to think that the house numbers on my street might be incorrect! Seriously, I am sure all of the data originates from the same place and some of it is just not correct.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Acc. Depends upon on how the Jurisdiction assigns addresses.

Some jurisdictions assign address ranges to streets as opposed to addressing driveway locations. The ranges will spread the addresses along the street...as opposed to a fixed Lat/Long. The longer the street is the more likely the error will be evident. Address data is purchased by companies building DBs(for GPS use and mapping software) from the jurisdictions that assign them(usually). Your best navigational accuracy will occur within jurisdictions that assign their addresses to driveway/point locations.
Good Luck,
Dave

·
Registered
18 Posts
Re: Acc. Depends upon on how the Jurisdiction assigns addres

DLJ said:
The longer the street is the more likely the error will be evident.
Dave
My street is 1 block long with about 7 houses on each side. It thinks my house is at the complete other end of the street (I'm on a corner).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Karen,
Google (your town and or County name + GIS) to see if they have public access to a GIS. If so draw a map of your street...or property. Check to see if the local mapping folks have the address information correct. You may want to check another street in you neigborhood also to see if the margin of error is the same there. Let us know what you find out.
Dave

·
Registered
3 Posts
now OT, but regarding newpriusspouse's bluetooth inquiry...

Check out T-Mobile. I got a Sony-Ericsson 610 from them and it works great in my Prius. Verizon is a joke, heavily committed to last-century, wrong-headed technology and the least likely of the mobile services to be able to get you going properly. T-Mobile has been great.

newpriusspouse said:
Thank you, m, he figured it out this morning. He said that it wasn't in his navigation quick start up manual so that threw him (you have to set this or it won't function - it was set for Penn). But after going through the thicker manual... <blush>. Now I need to locate the best cell provider in So. Cal that can also handle bluetooth (just found out Verizon cannot). I read here about the model of phone, just need the provider.

nps

·
Registered
5 Posts
I live in the country, outside a little town outside Dallas. The first time I drove my Prius home I was thrilled to find out that my driveway is on the map! It doesn't know the address, but that's a little less critical out here. It DID know that it was a driveway. Cool!

- Linda

·
Registered
81 Posts
I've found the Nav system to be very accurate

Some folks have complained here about the NAV system.

I suppose the accuracy and completeness of the database varies by locality, but at least where we live--Palo Alto, CA, Silicon Valley--the level of detail is phenomenal.

For example, I was just driving nearby, and the NAV shows an intersection of El Camino Real and Arastradero Road. On the south side, there are curving right turn lanes with a pedestrian island. On the north, just a square intersection. This shows on the NAV! How do they get all this in there for the whole country?? No wonder an update disk is pricey.

We have a guest cottage in back with a separate address (that's the way our city does it). When I park the Prius in our garage, it tells me I'm at the cottage address because I'm closer to that than the main house.

On the other hand, it doesn't always get the exact locations of places like Home Depot exactly right. But if you get in visual range of a warehouse store and can't find it, you need medical help anyway.

One thing I like about the voice NAV is that it adapts on the fly to you not following its route. If you go a different way (usually there are alternatives), it smoothly changes the route to work from where you are at the moment. This is truly useful, as it covers you if you make a wrong turn, or hit a 'no left turn allowed' in the city, or miss your freeway exit.

In short, I think it's quite good. Not perfect, but excellent. Of course, your results may vary, as they say.

·
Registered
5 Posts
One thing I like about the voice NAV is that it adapts on the fly to you not following its route. If you go a different way (usually there are alternatives), it smoothly changes the route to work from where you are at the moment. This is truly useful, as it covers you if you make a wrong turn, or hit a 'no left turn allowed' in the city, or miss your freeway exit.
I too have been very impressed with this feature. Around here, where I know reasons for going ways that the NAV might not know, all I have to do is take my chosen turn off its route, and it adjusts automagically.

I have also been generally quite impressed with the detail available in the Dallas area. Does anyone know what the "chosen cities" are? Is there a population cutoff or something? I haven't tried to find my sisters' house outside Poulsbo, WA or my mother's in Gainesville, FL but it'll be interesting to try that.

- Linda

1 - 13 of 13 Posts