Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
:lol: Thanks for the post Jim, you're right....I don't think anyone would've found it buried in the other forum.

Shep

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
It has become automatic for me now....

"Map"

(one thousand one, one thousand two)

reach over and press lower right corner of MFD (without taking eyes off of road)

(one thousand three)

Map is online. Okay to look.

Shhhh, don't tell Toyota. If they find out, the next generatio Prius will have a randomly-located confirmation button, forcing you to take your eyes off the road to look at the screen! :x

Hey, I wonder if anybody has ever been in an accident while "confirming". If so, can you sue the car company for making you read that warning while driving? :roll:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Excellent question BIF, I'm not sure...I just find it annoying that I have to be "warned" everytime I start my car. And of course, I do a quick scan over the text of the warning because you never know, it could change to:

"If you press any of the buttons on the screen, the Prius will blow up! Press I Agree to confirm".....

I just don't want it coming up everytime I start the car. Yea, I know it takes all of a half a second to press "I Agree" but why can't it just go to the map when I start up?

Shep

·
Registered
14 Posts
I haven't used all automotive GPS receivers, of course, but the warning is standard on those I have used. Just as sensible cell phone users should pull over while making/taking a call, GPS users should pull over or cancel the warning before the car moves. It's a pure liability play for the manufacturer...imagine your lawyer in court, complaining that the GPS manufacturer never warned you not to fiddle with the GPS while the car was moving.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Why can't it just go to the map...

Toyota is not your mom and neither am I. I am guessing their lawyer wants Toyota to pay him/her and not an injured party.

You may not always be the driver. Wouldn't you feel better knowing the person you allowed to drive your "precious" was informed that watching the screen while driving is a no-no? It gives you more time to tell them about the Park and Power buttons, and that shift lever. :?

·
Registered
381 Posts
I've gotten in the habit myself of pressing the power button twice without the brake pedal, hitting Dest -> I Agree and then going about the rest of my business.* While I don't mess around with the display while moving, it makes it one less step while I'm not. Turning it off would be better still, if it's possible. 8)

* put seat belt on, set A/C, set cruise, set radio, etc. - THEN start the car

·
Registered
10 Posts
it does get old

I dont like it causes more trouble's then harm...Instead of just being able to get a quick look at the map i have to take a hand off the wheel to confirm...It would be nice if you could just push the map button again.. to take care of it. To keep it more hands free.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts