Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got the black 05 Thursday. Loving it so far. The car looks awesome in black! I'm already liking it better than the classic model in most ways. Found lots of unnecessary errands to run so I could drive it around :) The steering wheel is much much nicer than the slippery one in the classic, and I'm already figuring out how the stealth mode differs.

A couple quick questions:

1) How do I remove the rear wiper arm? I don't really want to leave that on the car for the winter. It's just another wiper to worry about de-icing/unfreezing in the mornings etc. I don't see it as being that useful. Plus, if I remove it I can more easily fit my existing ski rack to the hatch.

2) Has anyone actually used the fog lamps? Do they work in fog? I can't see how they would, but I'm hoping I'm wrong. I spent many summers on the coast of Maine quite some years ago now, so buddy, I know fog, and the whole point of fog-lamps is that you use them with only the running lights on, NOT the headlights. This has to do with the refraction or reflection or whatever that the fog causes. The light from the headlamps reflects back towards you off the fog and diffuses in all other directions as well, rather than going straight ahead. I can't imagine why the fog-lamps can only be used if the headlights are already on (running lights sure, so you wouldn't forget to have them on), it seems totally counter-intuitive. We also get considerable fog here in west michigan, so fog-lamps which work properly would actually be useful. I was also looking forward to using them during snow storms, as this often has the same effect as fog.

So, are these things just cosmetic or have you actually used them to some advantage?

(On a side note, some nights in Maine the fog was so thick that in vehicles without fog-lamps you just couldn't see at all with the headlights on - 0 visibility. But, if you turned the headlights off and turned on the running lights and emergency flashers, you could see enough to idle along at about 5 miles per hour. Eerie and quite beautiful.)

That's it for now. Thanks in advance for your responses.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
1) About the wiper arm, I know how to lift it but not sure how to remove it completely. There is a small plastic piece that goes over the wiper base. It's held by two clips so you can just lift the plastic cover on both sides and pull hard. Removing this cover will allow the rear wiper to be lifted (e.g for cleaning the rear window). That's as far as I know

2) Not sure. The fog around here isn't thick enough to test its full potential. But the hope is that the fog lights are low enough to illuminate the road under the fog.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
1) I would not remove the rear wiper arm. I just woudn't do it.

2) I believe the Prius fog lamps only work when the headlamps are on, and NOT when the bright lights are on, for the reasons that you mentioned. They help somewhat. We sometimes get morning fog here in Florida, and they help a little bit.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts