Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, after resolving my initial concerns about the dependability of the Prius (many thanks to all who responded), I placed an order last Friday. Well, today it came in, super service, got exactly what I wanted, white with #8 trim. Looks great. drove to town twice today, total of 48 miles, averaged 55.2 MPG. I think I like this. I do have two questions. I noticed tonight that even with the dash LEDs dimmed down at night, there's a noticable glare on the windshield. I doubt anything can be done about it but it is distracting. Secondly, the left headlight (viewed from the front) seems to project higher than the right side. The salesman said he thought this was normal. Looking at the headlights, it seems the adjustment would not be an easy one. Anyone have experience with this?

06 white #8

·
Registered
457 Posts
1. Panel light reflection:
Some have complained of this, Most don't seem to notice. Me.. for example. It must be a driver height thing. (Left brain/Right brain..?) Short of jury-rigging some gadget I think it's something you just get used to.
2. Headlight adjustment
Your saleman says that one headlight aimed differently is "Normal"..?
That's almost funny. You must be talking about halogen (vs HID) lights. They are adjustable and THE DEALER should do it. It should have been checked as part of the pre-delivery service. The HID lights have an auto-leveling system. (If you have HID lights, that's another sort of problem but still goes back to The Dealer.)

·
Registered
610 Posts
During my most recent State Inspection, my Dealer readjusted my Halogen headlights somewhat too high for my tastes - I was getting flashed frequently from oncoming cars while driving with low beams - and the high beams were "squirrel-hunting" setting (lower limbs of the trees). Rather than argueing the point, I decided to "do it myself" aided by the Owner's Manual instructions.

2004 Owner's Manual, page 302 - Section 8 - 3 "Do-It-Yourself Maintenance" - Checking the headlight aim.

The most troublesome (first time) procedure was removing the lid on the radiator support cover - the wide black plastic cover just behind the radiator held in place by 6 Phillips screws. You'd think the Phillips were regular screws - NOT! You merely turn them slightly and the fasteners can be popped loose. After gaining access, you will need a Phillips screwdriver with 8" or more of shaft to reach the headlight adjustment wheel. One thing the Manual doesn't explain is that the screwdriver shaft needs to engage a slot about 3" from and slightly above the adjustment wheel. Your screwdriver shaft needs to be in that slot to provide the leverage needed to adjust your headlight aim.

My 2¢ worth.

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
Q&A would have been good, but it works here also.

You can eliminate the glare of the spedo display by using the wheel on the dash that will adjust it down. However that wheel does not adjust the MFD. You need to use the contrast and brightness controls while the headlights are on to get that device to your taste, I believe that is under the display button. The vehicle will remember MFD contrast and brightness settings based on whether your headlights are on or off.

·
Registered
42 Posts
# 8 package should have HID headlamps and they should be auto leveling. I would return it to the dealer and have them check to make sure the auto leveling is working. They sure should be able to test the aiming, both headlights should be aimed at the same level I would think.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Auto leveling simply adds to the existing manually set level accordinng to the distance change between the body and the rear axle. So it is possible for one or both headlights to be misadjusted but the autoleveler working correctly. However the reverse is also true: headlight adjustment correct, but auto-leveler not working properly, thus giving incorrect or erratic offset.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.