Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The wheels are lighter than stock, and much better looking!

The Falken Ziex 512s do roar a little more on the
highway but it's not bad at all. These are 205s.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Joel, The wheels look great! Wish I could put something like that on my Silver AM but alas, still got one boy in college so wheel/tire money is tight. Do you have any clearance problems? I'd be a little wary here in big-time snow country since it tends to build up in the wheelwells.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good question about the clearance, I defiantly have no problem here - but then I don't have snow caking up anywhere. The wheel and tire height is actually almost exactly the same as stock (very slightly smaller) but about 20mm wider on the tire.

Jerry P said:
Joel, The wheels look great! Wish I could put something like that on my Silver AM but alas, still got one boy in college so wheel/tire money is tight. Do you have any clearance problems? I'd be a little wary here in big-time snow country since it tends to build up in the wheel wells.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Joel,

What are the specs of your wheels? (Size and offset) Tirerack doesn't seem to list any 17" wheels for the 04 Prius. What is the aspect ratio of your tires?

Also, is there a link to the Japanese Toyota parts site?

Thanks!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think I posted this before - Tires are 205/45-17 Wheels are 17x7 +42 to +45 offset PCD is 100 5 lug. The wheels I got were from http://www.wheelmax.com the tires are Falken Ziex 512 (Consumer Report's top pick for all season tire) from http://www.highperformancetire.com

The Toyota Japan site that shows the upgrade items is:

http://www.toyota.co.jp/Showroom/All_to ... me/op.html

e6tme said:
Joel,

What are the specs of your wheels? (Size and offset) Tirerack doesn't seem to list any 17" wheels for the 04 Prius. What is the aspect ratio of your tires?

Also, is there a link to the Japanese Toyota parts site?

Thanks!
I also should add that the '04 Prius uses the same wheel and tire combination as an '04 or '03 Corolla.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The new wheels and rubber look great. How do they affect performance ie) acceleration and MPG?
Also, how much has the handling been improved, particularly chicane type of manuevering? I traded-in a WRX for the Prius and about the only thing I miss about the WRX is its superb handling. I'm just not used to floating around on these cushy type of tires.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I observed a slightly louder whine from the tires on certain pavement types while cruising at high-way speeds - emergency maneuvering and high speed corner handling are both much better and inclement weather traction is defiantly improved over the stock wheel/tire set up. Ride comfort is slightly rougher but the difference is hardly noticeable unless you encounter something like railroad tracks. I can't comment on a change in efficiency because I didn't have the stock wheels/tires on for more than a day - I'm at ~ 3k miles and I get an average of 43 MPG with most of my driving being free-way and high-way at 70 MPH under cruise control - average temperature is 60F.

dgwilkinson said:
The new wheels and rubber look great. How do they affect performance ie) acceleration and MPG?
Also, how much has the handling been improved, particularly chicane type of manuevering? I traded-in a WRX for the Prius and about the only thing I miss about the WRX is its superb handling. I'm just not used to floating around on these cushy type of tires.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
EXEL! TZ-10 in gunmetal. Got'em because they were uber cheap - better looking ones can be had for more $$ :wink:

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Re: Will these fit?

That's pretty funny. The wheels off of a Lexus IS300 - the car I had before I bought my Prius. Ha ha. Who put you up to this? What's even funnier is, I have one of these wheels (not chromed) sit'n in my office (don't ask, long story) :evil:

Anyhow, they would not fit because the P.C.D. is 114.3 instead of 100 which is what our car requires. The offset may not be right either :idea:

greenmachine said:
I'm not sure if these will fit but I think they'd look really nice how can you tell?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 2453853049

·
Registered
31 Posts
Honestly I don't even know what P.C.D. means or offset or anything really. I definetely don't want to screw up the navigation system or any of that other computer data and ride quality is a factor. Just gotta have a better looking, better handling classy rim and tire package. I actually love the IS 300 and the rims are quality. What about a 16 inch toyota 5 lug set of rims?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Nice Rims! Are they Wider?

How is you MPG? Same? Are your tires wider? I am waiting for my Prius 04. I am changing wheels too. :D

Marcovi

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Re: Nice Rims! Are they Wider?

I get between 43 and 45 averages with mosty highway miles driving 70 MPH.

marcovi said:
How is you MPG? Same? Are your tires wider? I am waiting for my Prius 04. I am changing wheels too. :D

Marcovi

·
Registered
4 Posts
What is correct 17"Tire Size for '04 Prius?

Is your posted size 205/40 17 correct? Or did you mean you put on a set of 205/45 17's. If you look at http://www.1010tires.com 's tire size calculator they indicate that the size you posted is EXACTLY right for a first generation Prius (185/65 14). If put them on an '04 your speedometer could be more than 4% too fast. General rule of thumb is not to exceed 3% difference. As I read it it appears that the 205/45 17's would be a better choice as the speedometer reading would be only.8% faster. Stock tire would turn 850.3 revolutions per mile while the 205/45 17 would turn 857.3. This compares much better to the OEM tire than the 205/40 17 indicated which would turn 886.9 revolutions per mile.

Perhaps I am missing something...

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Re: What is correct 17"Tire Size for '04 Prius?

I believe you are correct, I guess I'm surprised that no one caught this earlier.

WirelessToy said:
Is your posted size 205/40 17 correct? Or did you mean you put on a set of 205/45 17's. If you look at http://www.1010tires.com 's tire size calculator they indicate that the size you posted is EXACTLY right for a first generation Prius (185/65 14). If put them on an '04 your speedometer could be more than 4% too fast. General rule of thumb is not to exceed 3% difference. As I read it it appears that the 205/45 17's would be a better choice as the speedometer reading would be only.8% faster. Stock tire would turn 850.3 revolutions per mile while the 205/45 17 would turn 857.3. This compares much better to the OEM tire than the 205/40 17 indicated which would turn 886.9 revolutions per mile.

Perhaps I am missing something...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Although the could be a couple of inches bigger, (I've been told that before) the stock wheels look a whole lot better without the dorky plastic beauty rings. One quick tug and they pop off. Already boxed up and in the garage.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts