Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked mine up in Phoenix yesterday and drove it back to Orange County, CA. Some things to note:

* WARNING: It is easy to speed in this car. It's so quiet, even at 80 mph, that you can be fooled into thinking you're going much slower so watch that speedometer.

* Take out the back seat's headrests and you'll have more visibility out the back window. Not much, but some (no one sits in my back seat).

* Doing 80mph most of the way I drove 420 miles on less than a tank of gas.

* My gas gauge seems accurate (I've read complaints). When the last bar started to flash as I got home last night I put in 10.4 gallons. The last bar indicator had just started to flash, so I feel good about its accuracy.

* Drove to work today doing a combination of 65-to-72 mph on the freeway and, of course, normal city driving. Averaged 49.9 miles to the gallon.

* I FREAKING LOVE the continuously variable transmission (CVT). This car rides so smooth! The only car to accelerate like that and stay smooth even on cruise control (up steep hills, straight ways, whatever) was my dad's Cadillac with its fancy engine. Didn't realize what CVT was when I was reading about it on Toyota's website or this board.

* It's more like operating a vehicle than driving a car (that probably doesn't make sense). Think of driving a plane maybe. It's hard to describe.

* Lastly, I love not fumbling with my keys (getting in, out, whatever). With my briefcase, cell phone, computer, power cords, wireless keyboard and mouse, lunch, PDA, etc. Arghhhhh! I love just walking up to my locked car, having it recognize me, and opening the damn thing.

I love my new car, I love my new car, I love my new car, I love my new car, I love my new car, I love my new car, I love my new car, I love my new car, I love my new car?

·
Registered
884 Posts
Got mine...

Looks Larry likes his new Prius - What do you think?

I didn't realize you guys in California were driving over and taking our alotment - I haven't even seen one of the new Prius's here. (Just kidding, but they are sure scarce in Phoenix.)

I plan to wait another year or see to see what new hybrids Toyota comes out with. I'd really like a full size Toyota crew cab pickup that will tow 10,000 pounds in the mountains, and gets 50 mpg! Heck, I'd settle for 25!

·
Registered
623 Posts
* I FREAKING LOVE the continuously variable transmission (CVT). This car rides so smooth!
It isn't really a transmission at all. It's a power-split device. I don't think there's anything like it on any other car made today. Presumably it'll be on a bunch of cars in the near future.

·
Registered
30 Posts
You guy gotta stop posting "I got my precious Prius".... I can't stand it no more :D ... I just slap down $500 buck last week to be on the last line of the line...number 142 and the dealer just get 5 to 7 a month... that will get me a Prius in middle of ...2006...I can't buy the car until my spouse found a job....GRRRR. I feel like a rotweller with rabie and foaming all over....just want to snap at some one..... :D

·
Registered
319 Posts
Hey, congrats on your Prius. Seems to me like you really like it! Where abouts in OC do you live? You might probably like to go to our next Prius Meet. There was one on Saturday I think, but I was in Vegas. Enjoy the car.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Brian said:
Hey, congrats on your Prius. Seems to me like you really like it! Where abouts in OC do you live? You might probably like to go to our next Prius Meet. There was one on Saturday I think, but I was in Vegas. Enjoy the car.
Hey Brian,

Where & when is the next Prius meeting? I should have mine by then and would like to come.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Knguyen said:
I just slap down $500 buck last week to be on the last line of the line...number 142 and the dealer just get 5 to 7 a month... that will get me a Prius in middle of ...2006...
I don't know what part of the country you're in, but you CAN get a car sooner if you're willing to travel to get it. West Virginia seems to have pretty short times (2-5 months), and I had a great experience with Melissa Favello at Merced Toyota in California (I paid MSRP). I encourage you to spend time making calls, and you'll probably end up with your car sooner than you think!!!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Thanks guys.... I would love to gungho to " The hunt of the Prius"....But there is slight minor technical problem (as always.. but production still on schedule). My wife just coming in out of her maternal leave and is looking for a job. As soon as her job stablized, I'll engages "warp drive"...and begin to map out all the Toyota dealers in the entire US penisula..then I'll............Ok..that stretching it a bit but may be just entire Minnesota and inmediate neighbor. but for now I'll have to accept to the fact that I can't have the Prius ("My precious Prius"). And have to content with the imediate problems such as make sure I don't drooling over the keyboard and damage it while looking at "my precious". wahhhhhhh wahhhhhh :cry:

Congrat..Larry

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just don't buy in the Gulf States or Southeast regions. They are known for adding expensive dealer "packs" to the cars. If you don't have time to do much, at least call Melissa at Merced Toyota (CA) or Ward at Burt Wolfe Toyota (WV) and get on their lists. Both places will treat you right.....

·
Registered
311 Posts
mcbrunnhilde said:
Just don't buy in the Gulf States or Southeast regions. They are known for adding expensive dealer "packs" to the cars.
I'm taking delivery of a Driftwood Pearl #9 about 6-10 July, weather in Houston permitting as it is a Gulf States port of entry vehicle. I will pay MSRP and get exactly what I asked for oh so meny months ago... No extra BS None of the "shades of Fargo" sealers etc, just what we asked for, and nothing else.

I will buy the extended Toyota warranty at the price offered by Troy on this forum, most likely from Troy as I fully expect the dealer to NOT offer to match the price.

Yeah, some folks end up with a lot of added on crap that is not a good value for cost. Not everyone.

:D Pat :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
I believe there are additional destination charges in those two regions, which would make the car more expensive than in other parts of the country even if technically at "MSRP." The Kelley Blue Book website (kbb.com) shows all of the various charges and options, with invoice price and MSRP.

Yes, I know that there are good dealers in those regions, but I've heard so many stories about the bad ones that I think it's a waste of time trying to find those who are ethical.

Pat also (but different gender!)

·
Registered
311 Posts
mcbrunnhilde said:
Yes, I know that there are good dealers in those regions, but I've heard so many stories about the bad ones that I think it's a waste of time trying to find those who are ethical.

Pat also (but different gender!)
I've certainly found both kinds. We literally got up and walked out of one dealership with the sales manager right behind us telling us how impossible it was to get what we said we'd get for the $ and how we should do thus and so. I quit listening and just walked. IT has taken some time but it is happening as originally asked for and decided.

Pat (still remaining the same gender!)

This isn't the "forum" for it but you might be amused by my TRUE STORY of being assigned a dorm room in the freshman girls dorm when I was 17. At 6'2" and 220 lbs I don't think temporary transvitism would have worked.

·
Registered
10 Posts
[quote="patrickg]
This isn't the "forum" for it but you might be amused by my TRUE STORY of being assigned a dorm room in the freshman girls dorm when I was 17. At 6'2" and 220 lbs I don't think temporary transvitism would have worked.[/quote]

Hmmmm. A 17-year-old boy in a female dorm? So....what was the problem for you?? ;-) I'll bet SOMEONE in the administration department got yelled at for that blunder! Actually, you could have tried saying you were on the women's basketball or volleyball team, or done an androgynous thing like the "Pat" sketches on Saturday Night Live to see how long you could get away with it! There ARE those of us females with Junoesque proportions who can intimidate the heck out of those of lesser stature, and I'm sure you could have passed for at least a short while.......

Pat (the female one)
Still laughing at what the look on your face must have been back then!

·
Registered
311 Posts
mcbrunnhilde said:
Hmmmm. A 17-year-old boy in a female dorm? So....what was the problem for you?? ;-) There ARE those of us females with Junoesque proportions who can intimidate the heck out of those of lesser stature, and I'm sure you could have passed for at least a short while.......

Pat (the female one)
Still laughing at what the look on your face must have been back then!
I am not now nor never have been predisposed to vacillaltion but my brain was definitely parallel processing with one track on the cost of a cheap wig at the drugstore and the ramifications of its employ and the other on staying true to form as a "straight arrow boyscout type.

I had applied as Pat not Patrick and someone arbitrarily decided Pat was a girl. Soon after this incident I became Patrick in official communications to avoid confusion. This was back in the 60's but before coed dorms when MEN were not allowed past the parlor in a girl's dorm.

(ediited for taste, etc.)

:wink: Pat :D

·
Registered
381 Posts
mcbrunnhilde said:
Just don't buy in the Gulf States or Southeast regions. They are known for adding expensive dealer "packs" to the cars.
You betcha... I have one like that; not complaining about the "toys", but... *sheesh*... and I didn't need the overpriced ash tray. :p

1 - 18 of 18 Posts