Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked it up Tuesday evening.. drove it to work today first time. I'm a bit overwhelmed with the display screen and the insane number of buttons on my steering wheel. I'm sure I'll work it out. Driving is going to be an adjustment. I was more or less prepared for the eery silence waiting at a red light. On the freeway, it sort of feels like the car is 'cutting out' occasionally. Now, my speed doesn't come down. It hit me that maybe I backed off the gas pedal a bit and the gas engine really did sort of cut out. Am I being hyper sensitive?

I intend to start reading this forum backwards and learning all I can. What a valuable site.

Bill Morgan.....in the Seattle area.

By the way, anyone in my area recommend or unrecommend certain service departments. I purchased in Burien Toyota.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
billmorgan said:
I intend to start reading this forum backwards and learning all I can. What a valuable site.
That'll help - we make more sense backwards than we do forwards. eveileb I os rO.

·
Registered
669 Posts
!thgir si ynnaS.

I don't generally find the car going into all-electric or self-neutral modes on its own at highway speed unless going downhill. Do you notice it mostly downhill? I wonder if the continuously variable transmission is what feels "odd"? It's a smoother, less "gritty" feeling than I was used to, but you find the performance is perkier than it "feels" without the obvious shifting.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Then, as you get used to it running in electric mode, you wonder why the ICE IS running.

Like this morning. After running the car at 55, pretty good MPG, then had to slow down to crawl due to traffic redirection on account of construction. As expected, the car was moving under electric, but ICE was still running and I had 7 green bars! ICE/cat/o2 couldn't have been cold, I was just driving at 55 with ICE.
Once I actually stopped, ICE shut down (slight shudder), and then it went to electric as expected, using ICE for heavier acceleration.
WHY DOES IT DO THESE THINGS!?!

·
Registered
420 Posts
I love the steering-wheel buttons - now that I'm used to using them. It's like learning a new computer program: At first, you need the menus, but as you get used to it, the keyboard shortcuts become more convenient.

thgir osla si namowortsA - the Prius' acceleration is amazingly smooth. I'm surprised every time I drive our old Tercel, because it sounds so POWERFUL compared to the Prius. (Plus I'm about a six inches closer to the road, and the car is the size of a coffin and rattles like anything, giving me the same sensation of excited dread I used to feel on the Coney Island Cyclone.) But a glance at the speedometer, or the cars zooming by, brings me back to reality...

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
coloradospringsprius said:
...(Plus I'm about a six inches closer to the road, and the car is the size of a coffin and rattles like anything, giving me the same sensation of excited dread I used to feel on the Coney Island Cyclone.) But a glance at the speedometer, or the cars zooming by, brings me back to reality...
Bet the cyclone went faster. ;)

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
WDIN said:
Backing off the gas pedal and having the gas engine cut out can be a good thing.
The Gas Pedal is for ICE vehicles. The THS vehicles is called :
Linear Accelerator Pedal ! By: Drive by Wire, Ahem...

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
C.Rickey Hirose said:
WDIN said:
Backing off the gas pedal and having the gas engine cut out can be a good thing.
The Gas Pedal is for ICE vehicles. The THS vehicles is called :
Linear Accelerator Pedal ! By: Drive by Wire, Ahem...
And the steering wheel is actually the "linear deviation control".

1 - 9 of 9 Posts