Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Prius has Goodyear Integrity tires. Can someone comment? How many miles can I expect?

·
Registered
101 Posts
I'm hoping mine wear out pretty quick so I can replace them with their ComfortTread series. While at the local old-timer's tire shop, the owner said the ComfortTread should be a quieter tire as the cross-tread isn't as wide as the Integrity (i.e. "Like riding on knobbies").

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
whoops. I'm at 16,000km without rotation. I plan to rotate this Thurs at my service appt.

What's weird is that tyre rotation isn't listed in the service brochure until 32,000kms :shock: .Cause the first three are oil changes and the 4th at 32,000km is the first full maintenance routine.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
I have 33K miles on my car, original tires except for one at 10K miles or so, plenty of tread. I rotated at most of my 5K oil change intervals.

Down here, all service intervals include tire rotation and inspecting brakes.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Just switched to HydroEdge at 29k miles. Some tread left but very worn tires with only 1-2mm before the wear bars. Tread was more worn on the outer edges than the center. I did regular rotations. I suspect I could've gone another 5-6k miles and still been technically safe, but I noted a lot more screeching on cornering and more wet pavement and gravel traction problems over the past several thousand miles.

The cost of switching to HydroEdge was a notable drop in fuel economy due to increased tire rolling resistance...I'm hoping that will improve with tire break-in (only about 500 miles so far on the HydroEdge). Benefit is dramatically improved grip on dry pavement, wet pavement and with cornering. I added the BT Tech stiffening plate about 2 days before putting on the HydroEdge and can say that the plate gives a much more solid cornering feel...the car just seems to stay more 'flat' with less body roll.

·
Registered
319 Posts
After maybe 7,500 miles on the TripleTreds, I managed to hold a 47MPG average for a whole week after returning from a trip. 51MPG when got home last Monday, and still 47.3 this morning. I'm hoping this continues.

Too bad I need gas soon and didn't get any lately: $0.23 jump in price yesterday to $2.67 in my neighborhood...

·
Registered
884 Posts
Michelin HydroEdge Tires

I noticed mileage drop when I switched to HydroEdges, then realized that air pressure was low. I have been running 44/42 ever since, and mileage is same or better than with OEM Bridgestones (2002 classic Prius).

·
Registered
48 Posts
efusco said:
Tread was more worn on the outer edges than the center.
efusco: What pressures did you maintain on your tires up till now?

I'm curious because this touches on a question I've been pondering since we purchased our Pruis last month. I appreciate the logic in pumping tires to 42/40 for optimum MPG, but I was concerned about running them so far above Toyota's 35/33 spec (and so close to 44 psi max pressure stamped on sidewalls).

If 42/40 was really too high, I'd expect the OEM tires to go bald in the middle of the tread pattern first. Unless you've been really slack in maintaining your tires (and you're a Prius owner, so that can't be possible!), this must mean that Toyota is really recommending pressures that are way too low. Is this typical of the wear pattern others are seeing as their original tires reach the end of their useful tread life?

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Seaside Harry said:
efusco said:
Tread was more worn on the outer edges than the center.
efusco: What pressures did you maintain on your tires up till now?

If 42/40 was really too high, I'd expect the OEM tires to go bald in the middle of the tread pattern first. Unless you've been really slack in maintaining your tires (and you're a Prius owner, so that can't be possible!), this must mean that Toyota is really recommending pressures that are way too low. Is this typical of the wear pattern others are seeing as their original tires reach the end of their useful tread life?
Yup, if you listen to the nay-sayers about higher tire pressure that's what you'd expect. I can assure you I was obsessive about maintaining my tires at 42/40 the entire 29k miles.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have been running my Integrities at 44/42 and with 16K on them, the wear pattern is normal. It does make a difference in MPG running at the higher mileage, and I like the way it handles better, even if the ride is a bit stiffer. Remember to check the PSI after a visit to the dealer - they always want to reset to factory recommended pressures. My lifetime mileage average is now a hair over 53mpg.

·
Registered
6 Posts
DanMan32 said:
I have 33K miles on my car, original tires except for one at 10K miles or so, plenty of tread. I rotated at most of my 5K oil change intervals.

Down here, all service intervals include tire rotation and inspecting brakes.
I just returned from the first 5,000 mile service at the dealer on my 05.

It was generally a successful trip. I took the dealer 3 1/2 qts of Mobil 1. Upon checking the level therafter, it seems ok (actually only 1/8" down instead or the planned for 1/4" down, but still OK, I thnk.)

However, when I told the service writer to put 42/40 psi in the tires (OEM Goodyear Integrity) after rotation, he exclaimed, "Wow, I should expect to replace the tires, soon." However, he wrote the instructions on the order. (I have not yet, checked the pressure, but I certainly will.)

The question is, is it possible that he is correct and we are sacrificing the cost of the tires to obtain a better MPG.

It appears from this thread that excessive wear is not a problem. However, I would appreciate info from folks that have more miles on the tires run at slightly higher than Toyota recommended pressures.

Thanks

Bob

·
Registered
40 Posts
I had 50,000 miles on the OEM tires when I replaced them. I kept the pressure at 42/40. The wear pattern was pretty even, maybe just a bit more on the outside edges of the tires. There was still tread on them, but not much. I replaced with Goodyear Comfort tread. So far about 2% reduction in mileage but I am expecting better traction this winter. I had the OEM for 2 winters and they did OK except in very slushy spots and hills so I am hoping for better traction this winter.

·
Registered
19 Posts
My OEM tires have just under 17K on them and I'll need to replace them very soon. I kept my tire pressure at 38 and 36. The dealer kept lowering it to 33 and 31. When I caught a nail in one of the tires, the Goodyear dealer was upset that I wanted to go higher than the recommended tire pressure as set by Toyota. Everyone told me that I would have to expect the middles to wear out soon. Well, I went above the posted pressure and I have terrific wear on the edges. That first strip is pretty flat. I didn't really expect to have to replace the tires before 20k but with the rainy season coming up, I don't see what choice I have.

You can bet that I will be keeping the tire pressure up closer to the stated max on the tires and the heck with Toyota. Unless, of course, they want to by me new tires every 15k miles.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Now at 40K, still decent tread on the tires, even wear.
Well, I do have two gouges, not deep, going around the circumference of one of the tires treads. Not sure how that happened.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts