Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The bad news:
"We will feel real pain at the pump before this market tops out," said James Cordier, president of Liberty Trading in Tampa, Fla. Cordier predicted gasoline prices could rise as high as $3.50 a gallon in some parts of the country this summer.
The good news:
Your car gets 50 mpg.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
JDavies said:
The bad news:
"We will feel real pain at the pump before this market tops out," said James Cordier, president of Liberty Trading in Tampa, Fla. Cordier predicted gasoline prices could rise as high as $3.50 a gallon in some parts of the country this summer.
The good news:
Your car gets 50 mpg.
James Cordier (who ever you may be), $3.50 will soon be the good old days. People better pace their definition of "real pain".

·
Registered
119 Posts
hyperion,

The poor sap who goes out and buys a Hummer or Big Lincoln cuz the price is cheeper now has got to realize that he still can't afford the vehicle. What he saves on his monhly payments will be eaten up by what he pays for gas. If he can't afford one without high gas prices, he can't afford one with high gas prices.

Oh, and this should thrill you. I think they sould put a $3,000.00 charge right on the sticker (can you say tax) on anything that gets below 30 MPG to help pay for drilling and piplines accross the country. It may also help defray the cost of cleaning up our air.

·
Registered
269 Posts
dznyskp said:
Might as well fill the tank on Jamaican Blue Mountain....it will be cheaper!
Hey! dznyskp, Speaking of coffee....another "mailing shipment" from the relatives in Hawaii in 3 to 4 weeks! ( He has to drive to the Kona side, he lives on the Hilo side, doesn't get over there that often)

60% slow roasted Kona blended with 30% Somalian and 10% Columbian "Mid-Caliona" Prime.....(private grower at an elevation of 4200' just outside of Bogata)

I had some of this the last time I was over there through a French press....oooh man!

·
Registered
919 Posts
Although I firmly believe we're getting gouged, I'm really mystified why there's all this concern now. I remember after Katrina our gas here in the Chicago area went up to $3.49 a gallon for a week. (Even though we get ours from Canada!!) Now we've been at $2.99 for nearly 2 weeks. The only reason I can think of is that the negative PR has some companies intimidated and is holding prices down.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I suppose with the rising gas prices, I will have a hard time getting a new prius this summer...$3.00/ gal this morning for regular.

Hivoltage...I promise not to put Kona in my gas tank. I'll use Chanel 22 instead and save the beans for "personal refueling." Your are the Coffee God!

·
Registered
393 Posts
Hep said:
JDavies said:
The bad news:
The good news:
Your car gets 50 mpg.
James Cordier (who ever you may be), $3.50 will soon be the good old days. People better pace their definition of "real pain".
Agreed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
03Jill said:
The poor sap who goes out and buys a Hummer or Big Lincoln cuz the price is cheeper now has got to realize that he still can't afford the vehicle. What he saves on his monhly payments will be eaten up by what he pays for gas. If he can't afford one without high gas prices, he can't afford one with high gas prices.

Oh, and this should thrill you. I think they sould put a $3,000.00 charge right on the sticker (can you say tax) on anything that gets below 30 MPG to help pay for drilling and piplines accross the country. It may also help defray the cost of cleaning up our air.
Jill,

Unfortunately, this just is not true. My neighbor drives a big new Hummer and has money to burn when it comes to paying for gas. Most Hummer drivers can well afford the high cost of gas and would be willing to pay more so long as they can drive their high status vehicle. In fact, higher gas prices become a bragging point because they *can* afford to pay to use that much.

I agree with you 150% on the low gas mileage surcharge. In fact, I think each state ought to tack on a huge annual registration fee based on poor gas mileage performance. There's no talk of that now but state's are always hungry for cash and that's a nice way to fill state coffers.

- JP

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
JerzPrius is absolutely right. The cost of gas will unfortunately not deter any Hummer owners from driving or selling there cars cheap. After two years of Prius ownership I would love to make the transposition to a Hummer. I only drive about 7,000 miles a year now so the price of gas is no challange, but those retail prices of the vehicles are still astronomically high. And they won't drop because of the small number being produced. In WW2 it wasn't the price of gas that got all the straight 8's off the roads, but the scarcity of gas with rationing, and that's about what it will take now. You have to limit every car in California to four gallons of gas a week to see any improvement in global warming or any sign in a drop in pollution in the air. Four gallons of gas a month (as in WW2) would be better!
There has been the mention of Enthonal replacing gas on just about every news show and talk show on the networks this past week along with all the talk about sugar cane in Brazil ect: but not one word mentioned about the cost which is condiderably higher than gasoline both here and also in Brazil. The dependency of oil would deminish but not the price of driving.
Supply and demand. Magic words, so gas is sixty five cents a gallon in Saudi Arabia.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Umm here in Los Angeles for regular 87 octane unleaded we are already paying 3.49 per gallon...

So what's the next price point for pain cause here in Sunny So Cal we will soon be at 4 bucks.

·
Registered
17 Posts
DanMan32 said:
I think gas was 75 cents a gallon when I started driving.
In 1970, when I started driving, it was in the low 30s. I remember a price war on Long Island during the summer of '72 when it was as cheap as 29! After the first oil crisis of '73, prices "soared" to the mid-50s.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.