Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any recommendations of California dealers who aren't charging above retail? I'd like to drive home in a Prius by the end of 2004, if possible, so a 3-4 month wait is fine, and I'm flexible on the location (I'll pick it up anywhere in California) and the package.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Toyota of Oxnard

Waiting time for your order 6-8 months.

Got mine in 5 months because I got one that someone ahead of me did not want.

Good luck finding 3-4 month wait dealer. I haven't heard of one.

NiMHPrius

·
Registered
133 Posts
Toyota Town

Asif at Toyota Town in Stockton told me it would be 8 to 12 weeks and I was driving mine home in 6 weeks. That was just a few weeks ago. They could be behind a bit but Asif is great to work with. He even picked me up at the Sacramento Airport and gave me a ride back to the dealer.

·
Registered
455 Posts
All I know is, I put my name in about 2 weeks ago there, and was told that it would be about 3 months. When I called last week, after my motorcycle was stolen, they told me I was looking at 2.5 - 3.5 months.

Kurt; Figure if you got it about 3 weeks ago; that would make 9 weeks since you ordered, right? Alot can change in 2 months.

Spike

·
Registered
257 Posts
I dealt locally at Hobbie Toyota in Oroville. Ordered in May, told 6 month wait. Then in July was told that we should be the next one manifested and that it would be about 3 - 4 weeks. It arrived on August 18th and we picked it up on the 21st. Talk to Jim Buteau 800-533-4626 Tell him Dennis Swaney referred you.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Spike

Spike, yes things sure can change in just a few weeks. I talked with Asif yesterday and he confirmed that sales have doubled in just a short time.

I waited 5 months here in Orange County, Ca. then I found Asif. I was driving my Prius in a less time than he had estimated.

The sooner you get your name on a list or lists the sooner you'll be driving your Prius. What a car!!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Toyota Town in Stockton, Asif Mahmood. Cellphone number is (209) 327-0488. $500 to get on the list. (Check or credit card.) He gets an allocation from Toyota twice a month.

Was told about 2-3 months wait in late July. Was able to pick up my car at MSRP in less than 4 weeks. The would-be owner passed up on it due to travel conflicts, and 4 others passed due to color.

Depending on what color & package you're looking for, the wait can be more significant. (Silver & blue seem to be the most sought-after.) Best to provide a backup color.

The 2005s should be available in about October timeframe. (2004 #9 = BC = 2005 #6.)

Louie

·
Registered
24 Posts
City Toyota Fleet sales group

I had a great, no-nonsense experience with the fleet sales team at City Toyota in Daly City (just south of San Francisco). They'll handle your purchase if you get referred through AAA or Costco. Ask for Elias or Gary. Because it was fleet and the 20+ years of Toyota sales experience of Elias, it made my purchase very pain-free (aside from writing the big check!).

·
Registered
82 Posts
Avoid Oakland Toyota, they're only interested in a mark up.
I ended up w/ Marcus at Stockton Toyota and was very happy (3 mos I think). I have since been offered cars from Gilroy, Salinas, and a couple of others. I had a fantastic conversation w/ the Petaluma rep but their list was huge.
pauline

·
Registered
12 Posts
pauline said:
Avoid Oakland Toyota, they're only interested in a mark up.
I second Pauline's suggestion to avoid Downtown Oakland Toyota. I was guaranteed MSRP in writing for about a month before they switched out on me and told me that people were passing me on the waiting list due to "a policy change" stating that they were selling for $3500 over MSRP. Their customer response time was boorishly slow when I tried to contact them with regards to my position, and they've continued to spam me with offers to get a Prius immediately at a special deal of the aforementioned $3500 markup.

My dealings with Stockton have been positive so far, although I still haven't gotten the exact car I'm looking for.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Got mine at Capital Toyota in San Jose. They were the only place I could find with one you can test drive. I think they are big enough that they get quite a few each month. You could give them a call and see what the wait is like right now.

Mark Kamil is the internet sales guy responsible for Prius sales. His number is 408-979-4004.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Great contact with Kevin at Norwalk Toyota. He didn't cash my deposit check for 6 months! No markup in price either. Cerritos Toyota, on the other hand, wanted to cash my check immediately even if the wait was over 6 months. Little things count in my book!

Since I've had my Prius, I've also noticed that parts are cheaper at Norwalk than Cerritos. Now, I remember that the Cerritos dealership was in the news last year getting caught for recommending unnecessary repairs. Gotta think about followup service and not just the initial purchase too. :?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts