Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am new to this forum. Me and my wife started looking for a Prius in NJ about 2 weeks ago. That's when I found out that there is a waiting list. I was told, depending on the dealer, that the wait could be between 6 months to 1 year. Then I called a dealer which told me he had a white Prius #9 coming next week which the person who signed up for
didn't want anymore. Now, all of a sudden, I am rushed into making a decision. The price is $26,363 before taxes. After taxes and fees it comes to $28,277. Is this a good deal? Should I take it? I am torn because it's a lot of money for a mid sized car and many people are telling me to wait a year or two for the hybrid market to deflate. Also, I've heard the
the MPG is not as good as advertised. Any suggestions would be most welcome since I have to make up my mind by the end of the week.

Thanks,

Marco

·
Registered
6 Posts
I would jump all over that deal. It's priced as it should be. I'm getting one next week, BTW (Option #9). I'm having to fly to another state to pick it up, but I'm happy.

What I've read about the MPG seems to be due to the fact that the gas guage is a little faulty. Toyota doesn't want you driving on empty so it warns the tank is empty when you can, in fact, still go 100 or more miles on it. What people seem to be doing is by # of miles driven rather than the gas guage. I think it holds just shy of 12 gallons, and if you get yours and it says "empty" but when you go to the pump you can only put in 8 gallons (or whatever) then you've got one of those overly cautious gas guages.

It did win Motor Trend Car of the Year in addition to a bunch of other awards. I'm thrilled to be getting mine. I wouldn't wait on this if I were you (and if you DO, can I have the name of the dealer cuz you're gettin' it cheaper than mine which was marked up).

Thanks!
-Lawrence

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Lawrence,

Thanks for your input. I will let you know the name of the dealer in case I decide not to buy it. I am leaning towards it but I have never bought a new car before and I am a little scared by the price tag. I always thought that the best way to save the environment is to buy (i.e. recycle) used vehicles. I am not yet sure how much the "new toy" factor is making me lean towards purchasing the Prius and how much is a reasonable decision. I didn't have a chance to do much research on the subject and now with this "stroke of luck" I don't have that much time left.

Marco

·
Registered
81 Posts
Marco,
I had similar feelings about buying my Prius. It's a LOT of money for someone who is used to buying used cars. Depreciation, etc, etc.
I have a package # 7, which doesn't have the navigation or the upgraded stereo, but I did add the homelink mirror. I got the car in early February, and I've pretty much gotten over the big money issue. It's a wonderful car, I get 50 mpg, and it pollutes less than anything out there. I put a lot of miles on my cars, so driving a clean-burning vehicle is important to me.
Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
53 Posts
It's priced as it should be?

It's priced as it should be? Hello! A package #9 car list price is $26,055. This means he is getting ripped off for at least $300. This is only a good deal to the extent that you want to pay ~$3000 for a $40 garage door opener, a $200 CD Changer, and a $500 navigation unit. And side Airbags, ok, the #9 package does come with side airbags, but still, $26,000 is a lot of money for this car.

The Prius is a good car, and I've got a deposit to be on a list to buy one, but comfort-interior-feature wise, it doesn't compare with for instance a Volkswagon Beetle (which we own and will sell when the Prius comes). What I'm getting at is that the seats are ok, there's no telescoping steering wheel, the interior color choices are questionable.

Lot's of people would tell you to buy it, and I plan to buy one myself; but, you're being offered the least desirable car (white, package #9) at an elevated price. Other people have been waiting for weeks or months at that dealership, were offered the car first and then turned it down. My advice, cool your heals and make sure you really want it first. It's a lot of money. Also, don't worry about not getting the model you want. Toyota is making them as fast as they can. In a year from now, you'll see lots of them on the road and think 'If only I had gotten the blue one', or whatever and then you'll end up buying another new car in three years...

·
Registered
53 Posts
It's priced as it should be?

It's priced as it should be? Hello! A package #9 car list price is $26,055. This means he is getting ripped off for at least $300. This is only a good deal to the extent that you want to pay ~$3000 for a $40 garage door opener, a $200 CD Changer, and a $500 navigation unit. And side Airbags, ok, the #9 package does come with side airbags, but still, $26,000 is a lot of money for this car.

The Prius is a good car, and I've got a deposit to be on a list to buy one, but comfort-interior-feature wise, it doesn't compare with for instance a Volkswagon Beetle (which we own and will sell when the Prius comes). What I'm getting at is that the seats are ok, there's no telescoping steering wheel, the interior color choices are questionable.

Lot's of people would tell you to buy it, and I plan to buy one myself; but, you're being offered the least desirable car (white, package #9) at an elevated price. Other people have been waiting for weeks or months at that dealership, were offered the car first and then turned it down. My advice, cool your heals and make sure you really want it first. It's a lot of money. Also, don't worry about not getting the model you want. Toyota is making them as fast as they can. In a year from now, you'll see lots of them on the road and think 'If only I had gotten the blue one', or whatever and then you'll end up buying another new car in three years...

G

·
0 Posts
a Beetle?

Have you had problems with the Beetle? Last time I sat in the back of a Beetle I couild not even sit upright. The interior volume is not even close to a Prius. Good choice to change over to a reliable vehicle. I can understand Marco's concern. Unfortunately, by the time you folks read this, that car is probably in the hands of someone else by now.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
As a person who buys a new car every 18 years, in my opinion the base model is an unusually good value for a new car: it provides a lot of quality, reliability, "greenness", and performance for the money. Only you can decide whether the most expensive options are worth the money *to you*. They weren't worth it to me, so I ordered fewer options and waited six months to get it.

The EPA economy figures are inflated for all cars. Expect to get MPG in the mid 40s, not 60.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wizardbill,

Thanks for your input. I asked the deal about the difference in price from the list price and he said that there is a destination charge on top of the list price.

I don't know about the individual prices of the items in the package. I am sure Toyota has a lot of margin by not allowing people to install some of these items after purchasing. But as far as I know, package 9 also includes:

- Intermittent Rear Window Wiper
- Vehicle Stability Control
- Front fog lamps
- HID Headlamps
- Smart Keyless Entry System
- Security Alarm
- Homelink Garage Door Opener

djasonw,

The car is not even at the dealer yet. We have a deposit and we signed an agreement so I don't think the car is going anywhere at least until next week. I hope!

I was thinking that maybe I would be better off spending this money on high efficiency appliances....

Marco

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I forgot,

About the color of the car, I don't mind white. I own a white car now even though I didn't choose that color either as I bought it used. But I've heard that for some reason white cars get into less accidents than other cars. As far as the options are concerned. Some of them I mind, some I don't. I really like the premium sound and the VSC and these two are together only in package 7 and 9. If a got 7 I would save about $3000. But then, another problem. My current car is due any day now. I don't think I can wait 6 months, let alone a year. So, the choice is between the Prius now or some other used car within 3 months. The waiting list is not an option. As a matter of fact once I had heard about the waiting list and before finding this car we had almost given up on the Prius.

Marco

·
Registered
38 Posts
I paid 26 for a white #6 because of long waiting lists

Hi
Granted this dealer is know for over-charging [mine], but I got the car in less than a week and I love it 46.9 mpg on 2nd tank. Anyone that gets in comments on the sound, and the smart entry is very convenient -- you can run it with the key in your pocket. I think this dealer's clientele is more interested in SUVs so when a Prius comes in, they're not as in demand. I know I paid too much, but I really wanted it. Good luck with your decision.
Greg
04 white #6

·
Registered
38 Posts
I got my 04 Prius by calling a local dealer who just happened to have one coming in that wasn't claimed yet and I only waited two weeks. I paid sticker price and I'm happy with it. I get great gas mileage and I like driving a clean car BUT I have a new Beetle that hasn't sold yet and everytime I drive the Beetle now I notice how much fun it is to drive. I love my Prius but the Beetle just seems to have a fun factor the Prius doesn't have. I don't know if it's the 5 spd or what but something seems to be missing. Maybe it's the way I drive the Prius to keep the MPG up. Anyone else get this feeling?

·
Registered
51 Posts
I assume that the dealer also included the floormats/cargo net and first aid kit package (most do) and the rear bumper applique. So therefore the MSRP should be:

base $19,995
destination charge 515
package #9 5,245
preferred accessory 262
rear bumper applique 65

total MSRP $26,082
price increase 300 applied some time in April

new total MSRP $26, 382

Only you can determine if you value the included features of the package #9, such as the NAV system, smart entry/start, and the premium 6-disc changer. These additions push the price up $2990 over the package #7 which has all the safety features.

On the other hand you will have the car now enjoying the benefits and sheer fun for at least 4 maybe 6 or 8 months before you could get one with a lesser package.

Good luck with your decision.

·
Premium Member
2,820 Posts
Re: It's priced as it should be?

wizardbill said:
It's priced as it should be? Hello! A package #9 car list price is $26,055. This means he is getting ripped off for at least $300.
Well, the guy didn't state if any floor/cargo mats or the glass breakage sensor or the rear bumper applique or alloy wheel locks or any other accessories were added. The price he listed could've also included dealer paperwork/registry-running fees or such, too. The price he listed for a BC #9 is close enough to the going rate (MSRP) that I wouldn't complain too much without knowing the full breakdown of the costs listed for that car.

To find out, go to http://www.toyota.com/prius and fill in your zip code to build and price a car in your area.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts