Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just found out that the chances of getting a silver BC in my lifetime is low and I've been waiting now for 3.5 months. I was told that a gold BC would be available next week and I'm at the top of a 23 person waiting list. The sales guy told me that 20 out of 23 people waiting want the BC package and that I should just take the color gold and be done with it. I just thought I'd see if anyone out there has the gold color and what's your impression of the lighter upholstery and the overall exterior appeal of that color. I've never seen one in person and am having trouble finding a picture of a gold one on the web. I'm not a color fanatic or anything but after waiting this long I feel that I should get the with the darker upholstery.

·
Premium Member
2,820 Posts
by silver and gold do you mean:

Exterior color: silver = Millenium Silver Metallic (code 1C0) or Tideland Pearl (code 6S9), gold = Driftwood Pearl (code 4S2)
http://www.toyota.com/vehicles/2004/prius/color.html

Interior color: silver = Grey/Burgundy, gold = Ivory/Brown
http://www.toyota.com/vehicles/2004/prius/interior.html

Personally, I feel that if you can wait for the car that you want (you're not driving a rental currently), wait for the car of your dreams. You'll probably be happier in the long run.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Gold vs. Silver

I've got the "gold" (Driftwood Pearl) and I'll try to shoot a photo and upload it for you.

I originally wanted the silver but after I saw one it was much more "muted" than I thought from the marketing materials. The gray interior is a very light gray (look closely at the brochure in the well lit areas, almost off white) which surprised me. I thought from the brochure it would be preferable for hiding soil/stains but in my opinion it is really no different. I chose the gold, which is what I test drove, because I felt the overall color was better matched and no more prone to soiling. I'm very happy with it and I've noticed a LOT of silver cars on the road since then. There's probably nearly as many gold but like I said I'm very pleased.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I thought Silver was being produced in pretty large numbers relative to most. Still, this is a pretty personal thing. For me color is almost a non-issue. I'd have taken anything but white--and would even have considered that by now if I hadn't gotten one right away.

For others it's a big deal--I've even heard lame (IMO) arguments about visibility=safety issues and such. I think the gold color is really nice and doubt you'd be disappointed. You absolutely can not see the exterior of the car when you're driving, so only if impressing someone else with the silver color is important should it be a major issue. The interior color might be a reasonable consideration. There've been several reports of people getting coffee, smooties, and various other dirts and staining matter on the tan interior and found it very easy to clean. It is a high tech product that is stain resistant and supposedly very durable. I have it in my Seaside and have been pleased so far, but until we've all go a couple years of wear and tear and baby vomit on this stuff we won't know how good or bad it really is.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
color

Thanks for the tips, I think I like the car regardless of what color it is but I noticed the flake in the paint on the gold color stands out in the sun. The black, silver and white are a little flatter but nice too. I hope my silver comes in but I'm about ready to take what I can get.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Don't hold out for the BC package.

I too wanted a Silver Millennium with the BC package. However, after much waiting to become #1 on the list I was offered a Silver Millennium AM (package #7) with the optional HomeLink mirror and floor mat packages. Well, I took delivery December 29th and couldn't be happier.

I do not regret forgoing the Bluetooth technology or Nav system one bit and am having the time of my life teaching others about the car. I even saved myself over three grand by giving up the BC!

The choice is yours, but I would not hesitate to tell you to forgo the BC to get a quicker delivery of the car of your dreams.

Cheers!

·
Registered
190 Posts
I've owned several metallic paint vehicles (5 silvers in a row at one point) and I can tell you that correcting paint problems on a metallic painted vehicle is very difficult compared to the traditional solid colors. With metallic, you basically have to re-shoot the entire area or it will look like crap.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Driftwood Pearl Photo

Here is the photo I shot today. Hope it helps in your decision.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Re: color

greenmachine said:
Thanks for the tips, I think I like the car regardless of what color it is but I noticed the flake in the paint on the gold color stands out in the sun. The black, silver and white are a little flatter but nice too. I hope my silver comes in but I'm about ready to take what I can get.
Greenmachine,
I recall seeing a post somewhere stating that 30% of the new Prii are silver, so it seems odd that you'd have to wait longer for that color. Perhaps the specific color/package combo you are hoping for is not slated for delivery to your area. You might have to decide whether the color or the package is more important to you. FWIW, I saw a "gold" '04 yesterday and it looked great. I've seen silver, red, white and black on the road as well and, IMO, they all look really nice.
Drive happy,
Moo :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It just so happens the package is more important to me than the color. The bluetooth option with Nav and 6 cd changer is just to cool to pass up for a package 7. Just because I love gadgets mostly, I actually passed on a silver package 7 yesterday and it was so hard to do. No silver coming so I'm going for the gold!

·
Registered
56 Posts
greenmachine said:
It just so happens the package is more important to me than the color. The bluetooth option with Nav and 6 cd changer is just to cool to pass up for a package 7. Just because I love gadgets mostly, I actually passed on a silver package 7 yesterday and it was so hard to do. No silver coming so I'm going for the gold!
I thought I was the same way about the gadgets. Apparently I am not because I do not miss the extra features of the BC package. In hind-sight, I probably would not have had much use for the extras anyway and am glad I got the color I wanted.

I too was undecided about going for a different color or forgetting about the BC package (or wating forever for it). Like me, I think the color is more important to you than you think, or you would not have been debating it so long.

Enjoy your new Prius no matter what the color. Just remember, the color (including the interior) is what you will be looking at five or more years down the road when the rest of the technology is common place or has been surpassed.

No matter what color you choose, I guarantee you will be happy with the Prius regardless of the number of gadgets. It is truly a fine automobile.

- Lin Yutang
The wisdom of life consists in the elimination of non-essentials.
Cheers!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts