Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MILFORD, MICH - General Motors is gearing up to launch a new affordable hybrid system that will deliver a good fuel economy savings and a real payback for consumers. Saturn will be the first to debut the belt alternator starter hybrid system in mid-2006, when it introduces the 2007 Vue Green Line.

”With GM’s belt alternator starter hybrid in the Saturn Vue Green line, we expect consumers to get a real payback on their initial investment over the life of the vehicle,” said Tom Stephens, group vice president, GM Powertrain. “Final fuel economy numbers and pricing for the Vue hybrid will be announced next spring after calibrations are finalized.”

The GM belt alternator starter hybrid is one of three innovative hybrid systems that GM plans to introduce on up to 12 models, providing consumers a broad portfolio of hybrid systems that will vary in fuel savings and cost.

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2005/08/25/141298.html

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
"belt alternator starter hybrid"??

You mean 'auto-stop gas engine'?

If that's what I think it is (the same 'hybrid' GM has on their full size pickups,) it's not really a hybrid. (Heck, it only provides a 1mpg increase on the city driving, and NO improvement on highway.) Hopefully it's a better 'hybrid' than that, but from the description "belt alternator starter hybrid," I doubt it.

(And I thought that Dodge Charger 'hybrid' ad was bad... At least they're not really claiming it to be a hybrid.)

·
Registered
581 Posts
If you read the article:

"GM engineers developed the belt alternator starter hybrid to deliver improved fuel economy by performing the following functions:

Shuts off the engine when the vehicle is brought to a stop to minimize engine idling
Restarts the engine promptly when the brake pedal is released
Enables early fuel cutoff to the engine during vehicle deceleration
Captures vehicle kinetic energy during deceleration to help charge the advanced nickel metal hydride hybrid battery (regenerative braking)
Performs intelligent battery charging by opportunistically charging when it’s most efficient "

So yes, it IS more than auto shutoff/startup.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
wstander said:
If you read the article:

"GM engineers developed the belt alternator starter hybrid to deliver improved fuel economy by performing the following functions:

Shuts off the engine when the vehicle is brought to a stop to minimize engine idling
Restarts the engine promptly when the brake pedal is released
Enables early fuel cutoff to the engine during vehicle deceleration
Captures vehicle kinetic energy during deceleration to help charge the advanced nickel metal hydride hybrid battery (regenerative braking)
Performs intelligent battery charging by opportunistically charging when it’s most efficient "

So yes, it IS more than auto shutoff/startup.
No, it's not. It's just an advanced auto shutoff/startup with a fancy name.

The electric system provides no 'power' to help with moving the car. It is not a 'hybrid'. There is no mixing of power sources. It's an auto off/on with a big battery and regenerative braking. It's exactly what's in their large pickups. It would not surprise me if this adds nothing to the highway mileage (MAYBE 1mpg,) and minimal to the city (2-4mpg.)

·
Registered
581 Posts
My error!

That portion sort of ran together with:

"GM also announced it is developing an all-new two-mode full hybrid system that is uniquely compact and scalable. This new two-mode full hybrid will first be marketed in GM’s new Chevrolet Tahoe and GMC Yukon full-size SUVs in 2007. The system is based on GM’s successful diesel-electric hybrid propulsion system for transit buses, 364 of which are in service in 25 cities in the U.S. and Canada . "

Details are still sketchy though, are they not?

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
wstander said:
My error!

That portion sort of ran together with:

"GM also announced it is developing an all-new two-mode full hybrid system that is uniquely compact and scalable. This new two-mode full hybrid will first be marketed in GM’s new Chevrolet Tahoe and GMC Yukon full-size SUVs in 2007. The system is based on GM’s successful diesel-electric hybrid propulsion system for transit buses, 364 of which are in service in 25 cities in the U.S. and Canada . "

Details are still sketchy though, are they not?
Now, THAT would be good. Their d-e busses are very much 'full' hybrids. (I think about half of those 364 are in use in my city.) If I recall correctly, the 'two-mode' means that they'll have an EV mode!

·
Registered
581 Posts
I happen to live in a rural mountain area near San Diego, CA and I got a chance to sort of see one of the D-E buses. I had to leave, so I did not hear it but I noted the marquis sign on top said :

" Taking the HY road"

A pun off of the current interest in hybrids, obviously :wink:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts