Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:D At the Detroit auto show GM showed off their new prototype 160 Hp electric car. It has a 40 mile city driving range in pure electric mode. Once the batteries have discharge to 30% charge a small gas engine starts and recharges the battery. In this hybrid mode the vehicle gets about 50 MPG. Once at home the owner plugs in the car to recharge the battery. Charging takes 6.5 hours using a standard 110 volt outlet. If the owner charges up the car, and drives less than 40 miles. :shock: Then this vehicle will use NO GAS at all!

Check out the article.
:arrow: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/07/automobiles/autoshow/07VOLT.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1&ref=automobiles

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
I think that's what people originally thought of when thinking of hybrids. And it seems that's the direction where vehicles may go as the battery technology improves for power delivery and energy density. This way one has the advantages of a modern all-electric vehicle, with the range convenience of a gasoline vehicle.
The Tesla electric car has great promise, but even when their 3rd generation sedan is released at $30K, I'd be concerned that I couldn't go on long range trips exceeding the distance of a single charge. Or half the distance if the destination doesn't provide a means of charging the vehicle.

·
Registered
129 Posts
If you could charge from a 110 volt outlet with a sort of standard extension cord, you could charge at any gas station that would let you.
I think GM now reqrets killing the EV1.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What the future holds.

Big GM seems to see, that the future of the internal combustion engine is limited. So it's wise of them to start developing new alternative energy systems to drive their cars. Face it, who would buy a car if you can't get fuel for it?

As for recharging your vehicle on the road. The state of California has a limited network of inductive charging station in place already. Some Cosco stores had chargers installed for their customers. Buisnesses could install chargers at their locations to attract customers. Hotels could have chargers in their parking lots for their customers. This could make possible long trips for an electric vehicle.

Once rapid charge batteries are developed. The charging process would be almost as fast as gassing up you car. Rapid charge is a 80% charged in 5 minutes or less.

A charging network is very do-able thing. For this to take place charging systems need to be standardized. Or a universal charger needs to be developed. Because a buisness will not want to put in 3 or 4 different types of chargers. They would be willing to just install just one type of charger that would work on all electric vehicles.

·
Premium Member
640 Posts
I like the EV1 better--the car GM helped kill. This looks too much like a 60s muscle car. Why the look of yesterday instead of tomorrow? It belies the technology, which is great. Why not a model, while having a futuristic design, that would appeal to the mainstream, not a small segment of the market? Leave it to GM. :?

·
Registered
151 Posts
I guess this means we'll have to park our $30,000 cars in the garage, and move out the $400 worth of junk we store in those garages? Or would we plug in the car while it's parked in the street?

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
MtnTraveler said:
I guess this means we'll have to park our $30,000 cars in the garage, and move out the $400 worth of junk we store in those garages? Or would we plug in the car while it's parked in the street?
Repeat after me...

X...10...shun...cord...

Clean out the garage?!? :shock: Get real.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
2010 looks like the year that you maybe able to buy a EV.

Which is easier plugging in your car at your home, or making a seprate stop at the smelly gas station.

With anoucements from many automotive manufactures that they have plans to produce an electric vehicle. One or more of these companies will actually will do it.

Companies that intend to produce EV's
Subaru
Mitsubishe
Nisson
GM

Companies that intend to produce Plug in Hybrids
Toyota (Prius 2009?)
GM (Saturn Vue)

These list seem to be slowly getting longer.

The question is are their other manufactures that have are doing their work in seacret, and are not ready to make the anoucement? The second is how many will actualy make it into production? The last being will they be affordable?

·
Registered
129 Posts
If I can still read, this GM VOLT whatever is a hybrid, and does include a gasoline engine to charge the batteries. Also, the car will go to Chevrolet
They might have got it right this time.
Of course I might be dead by the time they come out with it.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Sounds like Toyota's success with the Synergy Drive has shook everyone up, including and especially GM.

I have a problem with them calling it EV though. If there's a gasoline engine on board, then it is a PHEV.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
A plugin hybrid is not capable of traveling at freeway speeds in electric mode only. This due to the fact that the electric motors are to small to acomplish this. The E-Flex vehicles motor can acomplish this because of their increased horsepower. Of corse if you drive faster. The 40 mile electric driving range will be reduced, before the ICE needs to start. Then you will only get 50 MPG fuel econome.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
This is more similar to the ill-fated AC Propulsion's 'tzero' electric car with a gasoline generator trailer, only combined into one.

This means that it is theoretically possible to drive the GM/Chevy Volt after ripping out the gasoline "engine". It will run 100% on electric power, at all speed ranges. The gasoline engine has no mechanical linkage to the wheels at all. It runs solely as a generator to charge the battery pack, should the battery pack run out of juice.

While I think that this concept vehicle is ugly as crap (I won't WANT a Corvette-inspired long-ass hood, I want a snub nose!) The technology is exciting. Mostly because it is a step in the right direction toward fuel cell and other non-gasoline systems. All they would have to do to convert this car into a fuel cell car is replace the gasoline genrator and tanks with a fuel cell generator. The actual drive components would remain the same.

The only thing I am curious about is to why GM didn't use their 'skateboard' electric platform as the base? I mean, the skateboard platform is meant for a fuel cell vehicle, but they could have used this as a development vehicle, replacing the fuel cells with batteries, and put the gas generator (I won't call it an 'engine' on this vehicle,) on top.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Hmm, let me see. The GM Volt has an electric drive, and it has a gasoline engine. That would make it a hybrid. And you can run the Volt without ever putting gasoline in, since it can be charged by pluging it in.

Sounds to me that PHEV can drive at freeway speeds, depending on the size of the electric drive and the battery.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I just found this information about another manufacture that will be making a electric vehicles. This Year!

:arrow: http://www.phoenixmotorcars.com/

One Vehicle will be a short bed four door pickup truck, and the other will be a SUV. They will be using the new Nanosafe batteries. These 85 ah batteries can be rapid recharged in 10 minutes or less. And have cycle lives of over 15,000 charges. Looks like you will be replacing the vehicle before you will have to replace the battery pack.
Nanosafe battery information.
http://www.altairnano.com/documents/EETimes11-01-06.pdf

Production starts this year with most sales going to fleets.
2007 year production will be about 500 units.
2008 will inclease even more, and the vehicles will become available to the generial public.

The thing is that this is happening NOW!

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
The 10 minute charge is with the offboard charger. The onboard charger takes 6 hours and requires a 220V feed.
But with 100 mile range between charges, this would be a good shortrange vehicle.

·
Registered
201 Posts
If memory serves me right, the RAV4 EV had a 67 HP electric motor that propelled the RAV at speeds up to 85 MPH. Now, I'm not sure if it's the same 67 HP motor that's in the Prius but it does show that an electric motor can absolutely maintain highway speeds.

The only limitation to the Prius electric motor is how much energy the batteries can put out.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.