Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night while on the way home I noticed a sliver of light coming from the bottom glove compartment of my 2005 Prius.

The light turns off if the headlights are not on. Not that I worry about it, but it got me to wonder why. Note: I did not do a lot of research into why or tear apart the glove compartment for details.

Anway just curious if anyone else noticed. Is this by design?

(hmm) I wonder if my refrig light stays on when I close the door.

:D

·
Registered
370 Posts
After 9 months of ownership, I too just noticed this. As far as I know, it's by design. I guess Toyota wanted to save $.50 by not installing a switch. At least they didn't elect to save another $.50 by not installing a light there period.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
I would have liked a lighting option that added:
- light on lower glovebox
- lights on the floors
I may install both myself if I can find stock Toyota parts from other models to use.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Aftermarket lighting fixtures

Checkout RV and marine suppliers for aftermarket lighting fixtures and switches. West Marine has lots of locations, or see West Marine and BoatUS catalog or on the Web.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
I believe someone has added a light to the top glove box (the bottom one is already lit).
Strange that the wiring diagram shows a switch integrated with the light, but real world observation shows that's not the case.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
I won't buy generic parts. This installation will involve drilling, and who knows if those parts will be available in a few years. By using stock Toyota parts, I know that I can get them years down the road, either from the dealer or a junkyard. Last thing I want is to drill a ahole and have to plug it later because ACME lamps changed their stock.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts