Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I believe this article cites Evan (but not by name). Anyhow, not much new here. But I suspect this spate of articles is related to the price of gas, and I suspect one should get the Prius now before supply tightens again.

http://www.boston.com/ae/theater_arts/a ... t_of_this/

·
Registered
928 Posts
There's a really strange statement in that article: "But when the Prius first came out, it couldn't find buyers, though in five years it has achieved cult status."

Correct me if you remember differently, but the only time in the history of Prius sales that there wasn't a wait to get one was from about March to about August of 2003. And I think that's just because Toyota preannounced the 2004 model saying it would be bigger, faster, get better gas mileage, and have a hatchback.

This article also trys to tie low sales (as a percent of overall vehicle market) to lack of interest in hybrids, rather than the more obvious reason of low supply. People just don't buy them until they're built!

Finally, near the end they quote an owner: ''As someone pointed out, if everyone drove a car that gets 40 miles per gallon, the US wouldn't have to import oil. . . . We could tell the Middle Eastern countries that have us over their knees to go pound sand." Yet another "fact" thrown out with no research to back it up. It's not even clear this is true even if nobody changes their driving habits. But increased energy efficiency tends to drive up energy use across the economy since it's ultimately what makes the economy run. So I think the newspaper should have done a bit of research rather than just presenting this as obvious.

Well, at least they're trying to perpetuate the myth that owning a hybrid makes you sexy :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
No wait when we bought ours - spring 2002

When we decided to buy our Prius, we had our choice of a couple models at Toyota Lexington (which I thought were the 2001 model) or a few 2002 models in Watertown. All of them at list, as I recall.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts