Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all...

I have had my Prius for little over two weeks, and last night was my first driving it at night (yeah...I don't go out very often after work). I noticed what appeared to be glare on the windshield from the speedometer reflecting off the dash -- a fuzzy green line-blob approx. 2" above the speedo "hood".

Has anyone else notice this problem or am I going crazy? If it is a problem, any solutions?

Thx.

Ed

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Wear the dark glasses you show in yoru avatar. ;-)

No, others have noticed it, and there isn't really a solution. Turn down the brightness. Some have suggested adding fuzzy material to the dash to absorb more light.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I've had mine for a month now and I noticed the same problem within a week of buying it. There is a small dial to the left of your steering wheel that adjusts the brightness of just about everything in the console (speedometer, GPS)...dial it down one notch from its highest setting and you'll see a marked difference.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
KTPhil said:
Wear the dark glasses you show in yoru avatar. ;-)

No, others have noticed it, and there isn't really a solution. Turn down the brightness. Some have suggested adding fuzzy material to the dash to absorb more light.
knock out thw windshield... no glass, no glare :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've dialed down the brightness quite a bit, but was still able to see a very faint glare -- the more I told myself not to look at the glare, the more I found it distracting. :wink:

I will play around this weekend, and see if I can come up with a matte material to do the trick.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
e.ip said:
...the more I told myself not to look at the glare, the more I found it distracting.
You'll get use to it. I don't even notice mine anymore, unless I really think about it.

·
Registered
92 Posts
The combination meter (speedo, fuel guage, etc..) actually shines up from below and is reflected on the surface you see. Try sliding a piece of paper down the dash to the base of the display to see for yourself. Fabricating an extended glare shield above the combo meter as some have done for the MFD may block the glare onto the windshield.

·
Registered
68 Posts
i wonder if it would have been cool to have a 'HUD" like on an airplane. these work in the same way i believe. just project the speed on the glass itself...

·
Registered
28 Posts
First a couple of nights I had to drive and it did bother me but after you get used to it, and now over 2 mths and I never notice it anymore. So you will evenually get used to it.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Hmm, this glare only shows itself when it's pitch black outside. It'll disappear once there are lampposts around. I never saw that glare that you guys talk about until one night I was on a short stretch of highway that had no lights and then the mysterious glare appeared :shock: <insert eerie music>

haha ok that wasn't funny. n/m

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've noticed this, too, even with the brightness turned *most* of the way down. (But not all the way. I'm not comfortable driving without a speedometer, for fear it would be too expensive.) I find the high beam indicator makes a blue glow that's even brighter than the greenish one. I have thought of painting the dash with a clear matte finish so it's not so reflective, but I haven't done it yet.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
A nice layer of dust on the dash cuts the reflection. Go bachelor.
:)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts