Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Unsure

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a used 04 package #1 and love the car. I went to get my tags today and asked about the AFV tags. I was told that it wasnt qualified to get the AF tag. I was shocked. She showed me a list of vehicles that are (see attached photo). Seems only Ethanol fuel vehicles are. Only Georgia Power Ethanol vehicles are the exception. Needless to say I was shocked.

Attachments

·
Registered
581 Posts
Much of what we enjoy with the Prius (HOV, reduced fees for licensing and smog checks, free parking in some places) was initially created from various clean-air initiatives. The past federal tax-deduction is in reality a 'clean-fuel' deduction originally intended for non-fossil fueled vehicles; ie: ethanol and CNG. Special laws were written in California and other places to define certain high-mpg hybrids as compliant.

In other words, first there was the law that encouraged clean-fuel vehicles and development of ethanol and cng and other 'clean' fuels. Then in order to (1) recognize the clean-air value, or (2) pander to some portion of the auto buying public (take you pick, politically), the laws were distorted/changed/modified/perverted to redefine 'clean-fuel' to include gasoline-electric hybrids to the 'clean-fuel' fleet.

So, most jurisdictions adopted a list of 'approved vehicle' that meet the requirements for the 'perks', based upon some criterion. Apparently, Georgia is holding to the original 'alternative clean fuel vehicle' aspect of the law. Have you written or lobbied your legislature for adoption of Prius and its ilk to the list? Is there some other 'perk' that hybrids could enjoy?

It appears that only vehicles that SOLELY RUN ON ETHANOL qualify. That would entail some disabling of the gasoline option (as I read the included notes). As far as I know, there are only a few E85 capable vehicles available, and as the notice states, if they can also burn gasoline, they do not qualify.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
I believe the agent is misinterpreting the chart. Since hybrids are on the paper, they qualify, even if they aren't technically an alternative fuel. The column 'Alternative Fuel' to me indicates if the vehicle uses alternative fuels, not if it qualifies or not.

Otherwise, why mention them on the list in the first place?

I think the thing to do is go get the law.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Apparently Georgia DOES consider the Prius to be an Alternative Fuel Vehicle.

http://www.cleanairforce.com/emission.htm#afv4

Alternative Fuel Vehicles (AFV)

Dedicated Alternative Fuel Vehicles are vehicles that can only operate on alternative fuel and are not capable of operating on gasoline. These vehicles do not require an emission inspection.

The following vehicles are considered Alternative Fuel Vehicles and do not require an emission inspection:

Vehicles that operate only on:
Natural Gas
Propane
Battery Electricity
Hydrogen
Vehicle Types: Dedicated

The following vehicles require an emission inspection:

Hybrids
Toyota Prius
Honda Insight
Honda Civic
Ford Escape
Bi-fuel and flexible fuel vehicles.

Flexible fuel vehicles that are capable of operating on blends of ethanol up to 85% must have the vehicle tested on 100% gasoline. Bi-fuel vehicles that are capable of running on either the alternative fuel (propane or natural gas) or gasoline must have the vehicle tested on gasoline, even if the vehicle is always operated on the alternative fuel.

Any vehicle which is capable of using gasoline to operate requires an emission inspection.

This is the number they say to call to verify eligibility

Verify eligibility with the Georgia Dept.of Natural Resources, Environmental Protection Division at: (404) 363-7028.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
OK, that list and that law has to do with emissions inspections. For what reason are you looking for an AFV tag? If for carpool exemption, look at that law.

Are you looking for this?

Georgia Hybrid electric vehicles (HEVs) shall be authorized to use high occupancy vehicle lanes, regardless of the number of passengers if the U.S. Congress or U.S. Department of Transportation approve such authorization through legislative or regulatory action. (Reference Georgia Code Section 32-9-4) The term 'alternative fuel vehicle' is expanded to include HEVs. A HEV is defined as a motor vehicle, which draws propulsion energy from onboard sources of stored energy, which include an internal combustion or heat engine using combustible fuel and a rechargeable energy storage system. HEVs must also meet federal Clean Air Act and California emissions standards and must have a fuel economy that is 1.5 times the Model Year 2002 EPA composite class average for the same vehicle class. (Reference Georgia Code Section 40-2-76)

Reference: http://www.hybridcars.com/incentives.html

The Prius certainly qualifies for what I quoted.

·
Registered
581 Posts
After rereading the op and also the later provided links, I still wonder what the AFV tag is supposed to provide the owner.

Is it just HOV access or does it give you other breaks and is it a different license plate (like a personalized or enviromental plate) or just another sticker?

·
Registered
5 Posts
DanMan32 said:
OK, that list and that law has to do with emissions inspections.
The number I gave in that post was the number they listed to verify eligibility for the AFV License Plate.

http://motor.etax.dor.ga.gov/motor/plates/plate.asp?ptitle=AF

The list was from the only place I could find a definition of what was and was not considered an AFV

Two different issues, true, but related.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Although the Georgia legislature passed a law that would allow certain hybrids to get AFV tags and use the HOV lanes, the state EPD is waiting for the regulations from the EPA on interpretation of the federal legislation that passed last summer. I don't understand why GA has to wait when other states have already implemented the hybrid HOV provision.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I have actually called the DOT here in Georgia and spoke with them on this issue. They said "If the vehicle runs on gasoline it does not qualify for an AFV tag and can not drive in the HOV lane with less than 2 people in the vehicle." I was told that this is because of the federal money used to build the HOV lanes stipulates that they can only be used for cars carrying multiple passengers, alternative fuel vehicles, motorcycles, or Emergency vehicles. At this time the federal definition of alternative fuel vehicles does not include hybrids, but the state law has been re-worded to include hybrids if the federal definition of AFV changes to include Hybrids. I also have read (but have not been able to confirm this) that the Georgia EPD is working with the EPA to get a list of qualifying hybrids for AFV status. So I guess you could say that this is still up in the air until the slowly grinding wheels of the government bureaucracy catch up with public need.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Georgia is a slow moving state. I have lived in a few states and never seen a state as a whole do things slow. Doesn't surprise me that GA hasn't acted on this.
Personaly I would love to drive in the HOV lane solo simply because I do 1100 miles a week and want to make the drive as quick as I can.
I plan on calling DOT and writing a few letters hopefully they will get on the ball.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.